Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,386 Members 52,079 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Black update heating the phone and draining the battery

Tip us?
 
Noppes123
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 107
Join Date: Apr 2008
Default [Q] Black update heating the phone and draining the battery

I was quite happy with my Lumia 920 and eagerly installed the Black update the other day.

But soon I started to notice serious heating problems from time to time at the upper part where the GSM chip is located, accompanied by quick battery drain (from 90%+ to 15% in a few hours, without doing anything but a few calls and some email checking).
I changed max speed from 4G to 3G and stopped all background tasks, disabled tap&send, but nothing made any noticable difference.

Then I noticed on my Femto Cell (a mini in-hous GSM transceiver) the 'connected' light was on while my phone had a working WiFi connection at the same time. This indicated that the GSM was on while I had a WiFi connection. Only rebooting the phone would disconnect the 3G and use just WiFi. But after some time and using the phone, the 3G connection would come back on (light on the Femto Cell turns on) and the heating and draining would start again.

This looks to me like a serious bug in my (hardware revision 6.5.0.2) Lumia 920!

Anyone else experiencing this with the Black update?
 
trb999
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default lumia 820 high battery drain after black update

After upgrading from Amber to black I have high battery drain and heating up near the camera lens on the lumia 820, my wife has the same phone and the same problem after the update.

It seems as if Nokia aren't listening as several people have posted same issue on the Nokia community and no-one from Nokia has replied, I don't know where to go from here as many people have said a hard reset does not fix the issue and I don't want to have to re-setup my phone and lose all data!!!
 
Noppes123
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 107
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by trb999 View Post
After upgrading from Amber to black I have high battery drain and heating up near the camera lens on the lumia 820, my wife has the same phone and the same problem after the update.

It seems as if Nokia aren't listening as several people have posted same issue on the Nokia community and no-one from Nokia has replied, I don't know where to go from here as many people have said a hard reset does not fix the issue and I don't want to have to re-setup my phone and lose all data!!!
Yes, looks like we're not alone with this issue. I can assure you, none of the usual tricks will fix this. No hard reset, no background tasks disable, no 3G or 2G max speed setting, etc.
 
dxdy
Old
#4  
dxdy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1659
Posts: 3,573
Join Date: Apr 2008

 
DONATE TO ME
not on my phone... working much better and battery last longer... but i make hard reset before upgrade to Black... not after....

also not use any battery status apps... this c**ps of software was drain batery on my lumia 920...
HTC HD2 * download Pdaimatejam ROM's + radio's
WP7 ROM Install Tutorial v2.5
Battery saving tricks for HD2

Change Live account region - https://live.xbox.com/AccountMigration

Gmail/Google settings, sync and calendar under WP7.8

My devices: Nokia Lumia 920 developer unlocked, HTC HD2 (sold), GoClever TAB T76 GPS TV


I spent half my money on computers, smartphones, alcohol and girls... The other half I wasted. (modern version of W.C. Fields quote)
 
Noppes123
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 107
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdy View Post
not on my phone... working much better and battery last longer... but i make hard reset before upgrade to Black... not after....
I know, certainly not every 920 has this issue but there are too many people reporting similar issues to ignore. Some of my colleagues having a 920 have no problem, others have similar issues.

BTW: What is the hardware revision of your Lumia 920? Mine is 6.5.0.2.
 
dxdy
Old
#6  
dxdy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1659
Posts: 3,573
Join Date: Apr 2008

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppes123 View Post
I know, certainly not every 920 has this issue but there are too many people reporting similar issues to ignore. Some of my colleagues having a 920 have no problem, others have similar issues.

BTW: What is the hardware revision of your Lumia 920? Mine is 6.5.0.2.
6.5.0.4
HTC HD2 * download Pdaimatejam ROM's + radio's
WP7 ROM Install Tutorial v2.5
Battery saving tricks for HD2

Change Live account region - https://live.xbox.com/AccountMigration

Gmail/Google settings, sync and calendar under WP7.8

My devices: Nokia Lumia 920 developer unlocked, HTC HD2 (sold), GoClever TAB T76 GPS TV


I spent half my money on computers, smartphones, alcohol and girls... The other half I wasted. (modern version of W.C. Fields quote)
 
Noppes123
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 107
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdy View Post
6.5.0.4
Small difference, but could be something...

Others having 6.5.0.2 without battery drain issues?
 
christboy
Old
#8  
christboy's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 11
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dagneux
same here in France after switching from SFR to BOUYGUE TELECOM. more than 2 days before the switch and less than one day after the switch)

A matter of provider ?
 
Deano019S
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 20
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Thumbs down Same issue, same h/w revision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppes123 View Post
Small difference, but could be something...

Others having 6.5.0.2 without battery drain issues?
I also have the 6.5.0.2 hardware revision WITH the battery drain issue

The thing is, I sent my phone back to Nokia for assessment.. they deemed the battery was faulty - charged me $90 for a replacement battery, and now a few weeks later I'm having the same issue again...

Really starting to get annoyed.

Nokia Lumia 920 - Stock Windows Phone 8.
Microsoft Surface RT 32GB - Windows 8.1 RT
Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 - KitKat.
Samsung Omnia i900 - WinMob 6.5

-------Other devices in the family-------
Apple iPhone 5 16GB - iOS7
Apple iPhone 5 16GB - iOS7
Apple iPhone 4S 64GB - iOS7
Apple iPhone 3G 8GB - iOS 4.2
Dell Streak 7 - Android ICS B5
HTC HD7 - STOLEN
 
Noppes123
Old
#10  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 107
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano019S View Post
I also have the 6.5.0.2 hardware revision WITH the battery drain issue

The thing is, I sent my phone back to Nokia for assessment.. they deemed the battery was faulty - charged me $90 for a replacement battery, and now a few weeks later I'm having the same issue again...

Really starting to get annoyed.
I am beginning to suspect a design error in specific hardware models. There are too many people with battery drain issues to ignore. At the same time many people seem to have no problem.

Have you tried to revert back to an older firmware version? That could make a difference... I will try it when I find some spare time.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes