[Q] Black update heating the phone and draining the battery

21st February 2014, 08:32 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

107 posts
I was quite happy with my Lumia 920 and eagerly installed the Black update the other day.

But soon I started to notice serious heating problems from time to time at the upper part where the GSM chip is located, accompanied by quick battery drain (from 90%+ to 15% in a few hours, without doing anything but a few calls and some email checking).
I changed max speed from 4G to 3G and stopped all background tasks, disabled tap&send, but nothing made any noticable difference.

Then I noticed on my Femto Cell (a mini in-hous GSM transceiver) the 'connected' light was on while my phone had a working WiFi connection at the same time. This indicated that the GSM was on while I had a WiFi connection. Only rebooting the phone would disconnect the 3G and use just WiFi. But after some time and using the phone, the 3G connection would come back on (light on the Femto Cell turns on) and the heating and draining would start again.

This looks to me like a serious bug in my (hardware revision 6.5.0.2) Lumia 920!

Anyone else experiencing this with the Black update?
13th March 2014, 09:09 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
lumia 820 high battery drain after black update
After upgrading from Amber to black I have high battery drain and heating up near the camera lens on the lumia 820, my wife has the same phone and the same problem after the update.

It seems as if Nokia aren't listening as several people have posted same issue on the Nokia community and no-one from Nokia has replied, I don't know where to go from here as many people have said a hard reset does not fix the issue and I don't want to have to re-setup my phone and lose all data!!!
13th March 2014, 11:29 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

107 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trb999

After upgrading from Amber to black I have high battery drain and heating up near the camera lens on the lumia 820, my wife has the same phone and the same problem after the update.

It seems as if Nokia aren't listening as several people have posted same issue on the Nokia community and no-one from Nokia has replied, I don't know where to go from here as many people have said a hard reset does not fix the issue and I don't want to have to re-setup my phone and lose all data!!!

Yes, looks like we're not alone with this issue. I can assure you, none of the usual tricks will fix this. No hard reset, no background tasks disable, no 3G or 2G max speed setting, etc.
14th March 2014, 12:00 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1,679

3,619 posts
Donate to Me
More
not on my phone... working much better and battery last longer... but i make hard reset before upgrade to Black... not after....

also not use any battery status apps... this c**ps of software was drain batery on my lumia 920...
14th March 2014, 05:33 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

107 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdy

not on my phone... working much better and battery last longer... but i make hard reset before upgrade to Black... not after....

I know, certainly not every 920 has this issue but there are too many people reporting similar issues to ignore. Some of my colleagues having a 920 have no problem, others have similar issues.

BTW: What is the hardware revision of your Lumia 920? Mine is 6.5.0.2.
14th March 2014, 06:16 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1,679

3,619 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppes123

I know, certainly not every 920 has this issue but there are too many people reporting similar issues to ignore. Some of my colleagues having a 920 have no problem, others have similar issues.

BTW: What is the hardware revision of your Lumia 920? Mine is 6.5.0.2.

14th March 2014, 06:45 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

107 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdy

Small difference, but could be something...

Others having 6.5.0.2 without battery drain issues?
16th March 2014, 12:04 AM   |  #8  
Flag Dagneux
Thanks Meter: 3

11 posts
More
same here in France after switching from SFR to BOUYGUE TELECOM. more than 2 days before the switch and less than one day after the switch)

A matter of provider ?
19th March 2014, 06:56 AM   |  #9  
Flag Melbourne, Australia
Thanks Meter: 1

20 posts
More
Thumbs down Same issue, same h/w revision
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppes123

Small difference, but could be something...

Others having 6.5.0.2 without battery drain issues?

I also have the 6.5.0.2 hardware revision WITH the battery drain issue

The thing is, I sent my phone back to Nokia for assessment.. they deemed the battery was faulty - charged me $90 for a replacement battery, and now a few weeks later I'm having the same issue again...

Really starting to get annoyed.
19th March 2014, 07:31 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

107 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano019S

I also have the 6.5.0.2 hardware revision WITH the battery drain issue

The thing is, I sent my phone back to Nokia for assessment.. they deemed the battery was faulty - charged me $90 for a replacement battery, and now a few weeks later I'm having the same issue again...

Really starting to get annoyed.

I am beginning to suspect a design error in specific hardware models. There are too many people with battery drain issues to ignore. At the same time many people seem to have no problem.

Have you tried to revert back to an older firmware version? That could make a difference... I will try it when I find some spare time.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread