Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,985 Members 54,175 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 7 sits on boot screen, but I can still access TWRP recovery

Tip us?

tim36272
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nexus 7 sits on boot screen, but I can still access TWRP recovery

Hello!

Long story short: when I turn on my Nexus 7 flo it hangs at the Google screen after updating Ubuntu Touch. I can access TWRP recovery. I've tried re-flashing the kernel with kernel_kexec_flo_441.zip and multirom with TWRP_multirom_deb_20140204.img and it still doesn't work.

More details;
I installed Ubuntu Touch on my Nexus 7 (2013) 16GB (thus the flo variant). Everything went fine, and I could boot to Ubuntu. Then Ubuntu updated, and it errored when attempted to update something to do with init...I can't remember exactly what package it was, but it was init-related (so I'm quite sure this is the cause of my problems).

Any thoughts on what I should do to try to rescue it? Or any backups I should do before proceeding? Should I flash it with the default Nexus 7 firmware (razor-kot49h)? I'm afraid flashing the stock firmware will just lose access to TWRP and end up worse than before.

Thank you so much. Please let me know what additional details you think might help.
Tim

Erovia
Old
Thanks Meter 232
First of all, the N7 2013 forum is over here.

But I'll help you. So, is your N7 the Wi-Fi or the LTE variant? Because the kernel file you mentioned is for flo (Wi-Fi), but the recovery is for deb (LTE).

If you flash a factory image, you lose all your data (incl. custom recovery), but it's still the best way to save your device.
Phone: Nexus 4
ROM: ParanoidAndroid 4+
Kernel: hells-Core
Recovery: MultiROM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tablet: Nexus 7
ROM: SlimKat 5+
Kernel: LeanKernel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone: Motorola Milestone A853 ROM: CyanogenMod 9.1.0d Recovery: Open Recovery MiniMod by -FuFu-

tim36272
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erovia View Post
First of all, the N7 2013 forum is over here.
Sorry about that, I'll post there next time.

Quote:
But I'll help you. So, is your N7 the Wi-Fi or the LTE variant? Because the kernel file you mentioned is for flo (Wi-Fi), but the recovery is for deb (LTE).
I apologize, I got that wrong. Let me clarify: I have the WiFi version (flo), and in TWRP I flashed the files: multirom-20140126-v22-flo.zip and kernel_kexec_flo_441.zip (I copied the wrong name in my post above, I never even downloaded the deb file).

So assuming I don't mind losing any of the data I should just flash the stock image? Would it be prudent to make a backup with flatline or anything else first?

Thank You,
Tim

Erovia
Old
Thanks Meter 232
Flatline is only for the 2012 editions. If I were you, I would make a nandroid backup from twrp (just in case) and flash the factory image. (read at least two guides before doing so, because you can hardbrick your device if you do something stupid)
Phone: Motorola Milestone A853 ROM: CyanogenMod 9.1.0d Recovery: Open Recovery MiniMod by -FuFu-
The Following User Says Thank You to Erovia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tim36272
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Flatline is only for the 2012 editions. If I were you, I would make a nandroid backup from twrp (just in case) and flash the factory image. (read at least two guides before doing so, because you can hardbrick your device if you do something stupid)
It worked! Thank you! I'm back to the stock firmware. I really appreciate your help.

I'm not awfully familiar with the xda forums, is there any way to thank you besides the "Thanks" button?

Erovia
Old
Thanks Meter 232
You can send your soul via personal message and be my minion for all eternity... But the "Thanks" button is fine too.