Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,354 Members 44,337 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Password protect both Download mode and Recovery????

Tip us?
 
elesbb
Old
#1  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4254
Posts: 6,660
Join Date: Jun 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Password protect both Download mode and Recovery????

Hey guys..


Straight forward question..

Is it possible to password protect our Download and Recovery modes?

And i mean when you press and hold vol dwn+home+power method. Not through the android software reboot menu.


I want/like this idea because if someone were to steal my phone. They would NEVER be able to flash a custom ROM or even flash a stock ROM img. They would be completely locked out making the device useless to them.

The only way i think they could get past it is by using JTAG to overwrite the download partition with a stock one. But hardly anyone has a JTAG device.

Well this would be awesome. lol

Have at it
 
DocHoliday77
Old
#2  
DocHoliday77's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5203
Posts: 7,477
Join Date: May 2011
Location: HuntsVegas!!!

 
DONATE TO ME
Im guessing it would require a modified bootloader. Not really sure though. Ive wondered about this myself. Never seen it done though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
 
elesbb
Old
#3  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4254
Posts: 6,660
Join Date: Jun 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77 View Post
Im guessing it would require a modified bootloader. Not really sure though. Ive wondered about this myself. Never seen it done though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
I think it would be the ultimate level of security. And i agree a modified bootloader would be necessary. How one would go abouts creating one i am clueless.
 
DocHoliday77
Old
#4  
DocHoliday77's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5203
Posts: 7,477
Join Date: May 2011
Location: HuntsVegas!!!

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb View Post
I think it would be the ultimate level of security. And i agree a modified bootloader would be necessary. How one would go abouts creating one i am clueless.
As am I lol! This ones a bit above my skill level!
Problem is, itd have to be redone for each model. Unless there was a way to have sonething that could sit on top of or intercept power on and run before the bootloader....I really have no idea though, just tossing ideas!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
 
elesbb
Old
#5  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4254
Posts: 6,660
Join Date: Jun 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77 View Post
As am I lol! This ones a bit above my skill level!
Problem is, itd have to be redone for each model. Unless there was a way to have sonething that could sit on top of or intercept power on and run before the bootloader....I really have no idea though, just tossing ideas!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
Too bad it's not the HD2 :P

But yes I think one would need to be made for each device... and if I or anyone can create the bootloader, how would you flash the bootloader? JTAG device?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
 
DocHoliday77
Old
#6  
DocHoliday77's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5203
Posts: 7,477
Join Date: May 2011
Location: HuntsVegas!!!

 
DONATE TO ME
Believe it or not, Im pretty sure you can flash any partition through Odin, so there you go! I could be wrong of course....

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
 
elesbb
Old
#7  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4254
Posts: 6,660
Join Date: Jun 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77 View Post
Believe it or not, Im pretty sure you can flash any partition through Odin, so there you go! I could be wrong of course....

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
Hey you could be right too! I never knew that! Hmmm I think in my spare time I shall delve into this!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
 
DocHoliday77
Old
#8  
DocHoliday77's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5203
Posts: 7,477
Join Date: May 2011
Location: HuntsVegas!!!

 
DONATE TO ME
Best of luck on it man! If I can be of help let me know, though on this dont expect a lot from me!!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
 
veritasaequita
Old
#9  
veritasaequita's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 111
Posts: 639
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: new orleans
that is a great idea indeed.
 
Visabusiness
Old
#10  
Visabusiness's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 32
Join Date: Jan 2012
Very interesting topic, but I think it is impossible to do (Recovery & download) are design to prevent forgotten password issues.

What a pity

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...