5,596,235 Members 35,764 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Leave Well Enough Alone (Finally)???

Tip us?

harryzee
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Leave Well Enough Alone (Finally)???

At the risk of sounding a touch naive, I feel compelled to ask the following.

Having owned an original 7 inch Nook that I fully converted to 4.1 and now the very satisfied owner of an HD+ that I fully converted to 4.2.2 some time ago, is there any "real world" advantage to moving up to 4.4 with the following considerations:

1. Under a fully transformed eMMc 4.2.2, I am experiencing no operational problems or issues.

2. My primary use for the HD+ is reading using both the Nook and Kindle apps, occasionally watching movies using the MX Player app, using a small handful of other apps primarily for current events and weather, email, and using the larger screen to view digital photos taken on my trips.

Under 4.2.2, it handles all of the above with few, if any, real hiccups.

If my actual day-to-day usage remains as above, will 4.4 really offer any substantive changes?

With that said, have I finally arrived at the "leave well enough alone" time in my ongoing transformations and updates?

Thanks in advance for any relevant comments and/or advice.

N0he
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I'm just going to assume you are talking about CM10.1 (4.2) and CM11 (4.4).
CM11 is still a Nightly, so i would not recommend it as you want to use your HD+ for normal activities and not to experiment with.
To me, CM10.2 (4.3) ist the most stable version, but if you don't encounter any problem with 10.1, then there is no real need to upgrade IMO.

jpisini
Old
Thanks Meter 200
If everything is working I would let it ride. If you do decide to move forward make a backup so you can go back.

JeauxAdam
Old
Thanks Meter 50
I'm in kind of the same boat. I've been using the Xperia tweaked Carbon ROM which is 4.2.2 and have yet to see a real compelling reason to move from it. My desire to constantly flash something and try new roms is outweighed by my desire to have a stable, useful device.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using xda app-developers app

harryzee
Old
(Last edited by harryzee; 9th February 2014 at 02:55 AM.) Reason: additional info added
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks.
"My desire to constantly flash something and try new roms is outweighed by my desire to have a stable, useful device." Could not have phrased it better myself. Have definitely reached the point where experimenting, rooting, fully transforming, etc. no longer works as its own stimulant in the face of a very stable, reliable, eMMc conversion that works the way I (currently) need it to. Now if Amazon would bring out an 8.9 inch version of the DX that I have with a touchscreen and back light...hmm!

barth2
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I started with various CM11 nightly builds, then "downgraded" to CM10.2 and now am happier. Various apps I had problems with are now working. I miss a few minor things like no transparent status bar and soft buttons not hiding in some apps, but I prefer the stability. I may try CM11 later at some point.

pumpjack
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Talking Hmm... Your mileage may vary...

I have been upgrading my Nook HD+ steadily until verygreen's 1/18 build of CM11. I have installed the pa_gapps-modular-full-4.4.2-20140111-signed gapps package. I have access to just about everything I need on the Google Play store, Amazon Store, 1mobile store. It is solid. Doesn't reboot without reason. And except for a couple of non-standard apps, everything runs smooth and good. I couldn't be happier with this version of KitKat and I like it a lot better than JellyBean, and my battery life is very good, even when running intensive games or using WiFi heavily.

Is there a real reason to upgrade? That is a personal preference. I would say yes, as my experience has been so good. Even the upgrade process was fairly painless using verygreen's instructions. Just had to load a new CWM, reboot into it and flash the new rom and gapps and I was on my way. Fair to say, I haven't been upgrading to every new nightly that comes out. Viewing the changelogs, I don't see any obvious reason to do so, and so I am waiting for any changes that verygreen deems necessary to flash.

That's my two-pence worth of opinion. I hope that helps alleviate any fears you might have for upgrading.

harryzee
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks to all for your replies and comments. Looks like I will stay put with 10.1/4.2.2 for the time being as all is "really" well!