Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,452 Members 42,600 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unpacking CM boot image

Tip us?

Bytecode
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 4458
Default [Q] Unpacking CM boot image

Hello guys, I've been struggling since two and a half hours now to unpack boot.img taken from cm10.1 zip (get.cm). I have an error about the magic header, here it is.

Code:
Select Code
Android Magic not found in boot.img. Giving up.
Fyi, I need to unpack/repack the boot image to change the bootlogo and kernel.
I've tried with any tool available (dsixda kitchen, championswimmer kernel kitchen, simple mkbootimg or unmkbootimg, xperia boot tools and more), no results. Anyone please?
Bytecode - fifteen year old (currently not in Android anymore) developer

My devices:
thunderg>mint>maguro>mako>hammerhead

Quote:
I respect GPL and other people - you can find all my sources at github.com/BytecodeX
Quote:
I am a androidarmv6 contributor - helping old legacy devices get a better Android experience. https://github.com/androidarmv6

gregbradley
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3725

DONATE TO ME
Try asking in the question and answer section, that may help

Sent from the luxury of my tent

How to get root on Xperia Z1 with KitKat 4.4.2, 4.4.3 & 4.4.4

If you are unsure, then read this.
If you are still unsure, watch this.

My contributions.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. Sir Isaac Newton

[X10] | [NEO] | [Xperia T/TX] |
[Xperia Z1]
You are free to share my work, but please provide the correct credits and a link to my original thread.

NuriJ
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 1071
That's actually a kernel.elf, not boot.img Rename it to kernel.elf, and use the kernel kitchen to extract it's contents.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NuriJ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Bytecode
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 4458
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuriJ View Post
That's actually a kernel.elf, not boot.img Rename it to kernel.elf, and use the kernel kitchen to extract it's contents.

Thank you man, you're a lifesaver. It works.
Bytecode - fifteen year old (currently not in Android anymore) developer

My devices:
thunderg>mint>maguro>mako>hammerhead

Quote:
I respect GPL and other people - you can find all my sources at github.com/BytecodeX
Quote:
I am a androidarmv6 contributor - helping old legacy devices get a better Android experience. https://github.com/androidarmv6
The Following User Says Thank You to Bytecode For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tOrNadO™
Old
Thanks Meter 832
Quote:

Hi.. I found this dead thread when i googled for the same thing that OP also had,, I managed to unpack the kernel's boot.img by renaming it to kernel.elf.. I have to edit init,rc file in order to get bootclasspath lines from a cm10 fxp kernel and put it in my port ROM's init.rc and replace the bootclasspath.. But i never found init.rc file anywhere, there is an init file which doesn't have a bootclasspath but only PATH.. Can u help me with this?

"A friend in need is a friend indeed.." So press THANKS if someone helps u. They deserve it..

NuriJ
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by tOrNadO_007™ View Post
Hi.. I found this dead thread when i googled for the same thing that OP also had,, I managed to unpack the kernel's boot.img by renaming it to kernel.elf.. I have to edit init,rc file in order to get bootclasspath lines from a cm10 fxp kernel and put it in my port ROM's init.rc and replace the bootclasspath.. But i never found init.rc file anywhere, there is an init file which doesn't have a bootclasspath but only PATH.. Can u help me with this?
Are you looking in ramdisk?

tOrNadO™
Old
Thanks Meter 832
Quote:
Are you looking in ramdisk?
Yes.. I did that too.. Unfortunately all the methods didn't work.. One simple method worked though.. Change the permissions of all the unpacked files and mount the ramdisk.img and then extract it and change contents of any file of your choice and then repack it.. It works like a charm..

"A friend in need is a friend indeed.." So press THANKS if someone helps u. They deserve it..