Ask a question

No registration required

Difference between ART and dalvik runtime on KitKat rom

OP Shashank.sonth

1st February 2014, 04:12 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

61 posts
what difference will it make if I change the runtime from dalvik to ART in developer settings in KitKat 4.4.2 ROM? Will it make my phone faster?!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
1st February 2014, 04:59 AM   |  #2  
On the top Loading Rail
Thanks Meter: 728

1,780 posts
More
Presuming ART on your device works...IME ART is much more snappy than Dalvik.

To read more start here:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/11...uts-in-kitkat/
1st February 2014, 08:06 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

61 posts
While changing the runtime to ART it gives this warning, should I continue? what r the risks?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1391238326301.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	2552167  
1st February 2014, 08:56 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 2,073

3,974 posts
Donate to Me
More
http://source.android.com/devices/tech/dalvik/art.html

The risks are it's experimental technology that you're given a preview of because you enabled developer settings. Also, some apps may not work. And please don't file bug reports on the ROM or apps because you're using experimental settings. Honestly, I'd leave it on dalvik if you don't know what you're doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to PonsAsinorem For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st February 2014, 01:51 PM   |  #5  
On the top Loading Rail

1,780 posts
More
The risk is that you may brick your ROM and need to do a Nan droid restore to get it back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skripka For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd February 2014, 07:34 AM   |  #6  
OP Member

61 posts
I think I'll leave it as it is for now, don't want to risk bricking my device 👍

3rd February 2014, 09:01 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 160

456 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripka

The risk is that you may brick your ROM and need to do a Nan droid restore to get it back.

Stop giving false information!!! There's no case where using ART has bricked one's ROM (if that's even possible!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.sonth

I think I'll leave it as it is for now, don't want to risk bricking my device 👍

There's no risk bricking your device by enabling ART. Sure some apps might not work properly, but the majority will work ok. You can always try ART, see what you think and if you don't like the results, you can revert back to Dalvik. Keep in mind that if you have Xposed framework installed and you try to change your runtime to ART, you might end up with a bootloop. So make sure you have a backup, just in case.

But, I repeat, it isn't possible to brick your device by changing to ART.
The Following User Says Thank You to _Raziel666 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd February 2014, 02:43 PM   |  #8  
On the top Loading Rail

1,780 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Raziel666

Stop giving false information!!! There's no case where using ART has bricked one's ROM (if that's even possible!).

Lordy. Are you kidding me?

Of course it is possible...AAMOF, for most KitKat ROMs on the Sprint SPH-L900 enabling ART WILL render your ROM unbootable and the only "fix" (that I know of) is a Nandroid restore. AFAIK the only ROM for L900 with working ART that I know of is OmniROM, although I will admit I haven't tried straight CyanogenMod in forever. "Working" meaning enabling ART doesn't break your ROM. Because what will happen otherwise is after enabling ART and immediately rebooting, your ROM install will permanently bootloop, and the only way of getting it back is Nandroid recovery.

Don't believe me? Download or read the XDA forums for Dirty Unicorns 5.0 or SlimKat (no offense intended at Maz or sleshy who do mad work on those ROMs and who are more than aware of this issue). Then you'll see exactly what I'm talking about and that it is you who are "spreading false information". Further even within the same ROM, enabling ART can break the ROM for some devices but not others. If you read or follow Google+ dev communities for OmniROM and others you'd know this.

"False information" indeed.
Last edited by Skripka; 3rd February 2014 at 02:58 PM.
4th February 2014, 08:35 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 160

456 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripka

Lordy. Are you kidding me?

Of course it is possible...AAMOF, for most KitKat ROMs on the Sprint SPH-L900 enabling ART WILL render your ROM unbootable and the only "fix" (that I know of) is a Nandroid restore. AFAIK the only ROM for L900 with working ART that I know of is OmniROM, although I will admit I haven't tried straight CyanogenMod in forever. "Working" meaning enabling ART doesn't break your ROM. Because what will happen otherwise is after enabling ART and immediately rebooting, your ROM install will permanently bootloop, and the only way of getting it back is Nandroid recovery.

Don't believe me? Download or read the XDA forums for Dirty Unicorns 5.0 or SlimKat (no offense intended at Maz or sleshy who do mad work on those ROMs and who are more than aware of this issue). Then you'll see exactly what I'm talking about and that it is you who are "spreading false information". Further even within the same ROM, enabling ART can break the ROM for some devices but not others. If you read or follow Google+ dev communities for OmniROM and others you'd know this.

"False information" indeed.

bootloop brick

Two very different situations. You used the word brick, which does nothing but panick whoever reads it, because it insinuates bad things. On the other hand, a bootloop is a much more manageable situation.
5th February 2014, 12:46 PM   |  #10  
OP Member

61 posts
Could anyone tell me, if the device is bricked or struck on bootloop will I still be able to go to recovery mode?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread