Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,814 Members 44,243 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to update to KitKat and ROOT ?

Tip us?

Iorveth
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Unhappy [Q] How to update to KitKat and ROOT ?

Hello, I have rooted my stock Galaxy Note 3 T-Mobile 4.3 and now I heard that Samsung is rolling out soon KitKat update for the Note 3.

My questions is, do I have to unroot and return to stock then update then root the exact same way I did before ?

Does updating to KitKat require a different root method ?

Can I restore my apps and how ? I dont seem to know how to use Titanium backup and I even purchased it!

Please help me and thanks

Liquorsicc92
Old
(Last edited by Liquorsicc92; 19th February 2014 at 02:16 AM.) Reason: clarify
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iorveth View Post
Hello, I have rooted my stock Galaxy Note 3 T-Mobile 4.3 and now I heard that Samsung is rolling out soon KitKat update for the Note 3.

My questions is, do I have to unroot and return to stock then update then root the exact same way I did before ?

Can I restore my apps and how ? I dont seem to know how to use Titanium backup and I even purchased it!

I believe that you can update to Kitkat via Odin when the official update comes to T-mobile while rooted but you will lose root in the process. As far as rerooting, I believe you can flash recovery with Odin and then flash SuperSu in recovery to get rooted again, although, I think I read somewhere that it wasn't recommended anymore?. Not sure though. I used auto root method which I'm sure would still work just fine with kitkat. For restoring apps I would recommend the App backup and restore from the play store. Very easy to use.

Mcca21
Old
(Last edited by Mcca21; 19th February 2014 at 02:45 AM.)
Thanks Meter 14
Why dont you flash a 4.4 rom that's out there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

drag&fly
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iorveth View Post

I generally NEVER accept OTA updates until Devs have a chance to look at it and okay it, or see what others feedback is after accepting. Don't take for granted that you are rooted and have unlocked boot loader access. And until official KitKat is released its all hearsay as to when it'll come out.