5,600,182 Members 40,357 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to check if my S4 is genuine or fake?

Tip us?

AzureV
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default [Q] How to check if my S4 is genuine or fake?

I bought the phone at quite a good bargain 2 months ago. It was meant to be used by my wife, but she decided to keep the Note2 she was using. So I then decided to sell it off, but still with no luck.

Just today, my wife happened to talk about the phone with her sister, and her husband overheard the conversation and went on to join the conv, and he brought up something that is very troubling to me.

He said that there's a chance my S4 is a fake product or a clone as he has heard a similar story from a friend of his who had been scammed with a clone S4.

That bugs me a lot, and I have been googling for more information about it but cannot find certain things.

My galaxy s4 is still in a sealed box. I bought it in Malaysia 2 months ago at RM1899 off-contract. It has a sticker of e-register on the front, a blue seal sticker on 2 sides (top and left) and a white sticker saying distribution by Samsung Malaysia Electronics on the right, and another white sticker at the bottom with serial number on it.

Without opening it, is there any way for sure to know that I have purchased a genuine S4?

I don't intend to open the box, and still want to sell it off, so keeping it sealed in a box is a better option for me.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

davy917
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Box should have info like MEID and serial number

gsmyth
Old
Thanks Meter 316
Is the IMEI number visible on the box? If so check it out at the site below. If legit it should bring up the correct details.

http://www.imei.info

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app
Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 - GoldenEye
Nexus 7 32GB WiFi 2012 - Stock rooted 4.4.2

AzureV
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
About that.. I see 2 sets on numbers. How many digits does each have?

RossFixxed
Old
Thanks Meter 129
Install cpu z form play store. Post a screen shot here.

kimjs90
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default s4

As for galaxy s4 in Malaysia, the one with the blue e-warranty sticker on the top right/left of the box indicate that it was original set.

AzureV
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmyth View Post
Is the IMEI number visible on the box? If so check it out at the site below. If legit it should bring up the correct details.

http://www.imei.info

I did, and it gave me the correct details. It is an i9500 octacore S4, but I'm still unsure. Why? Reason has got to do with the reply under the quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimjs90 View Post
As for galaxy s4 in Malaysia, the one with the blue e-warranty sticker on the top right/left of the box indicate that it was original set.
I was told that the sticker does indicate an original set, but from the story told by my brother in law, his friend also bought a set with such sticker on the box, and he still got a fake one :S

donalgodon
Old
Thanks Meter 617
Two things will tell you:

CPU Z and the TW dialer codes. The fakes don't have the correct processors and the Samsung dialer codes don't work on fakes.
PHONE: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900)
ROM: [KitKat][4.4.2]Stock N900UBUDNB2 FEB 14, 2014 CF-Auto-Root
RADIO: N900UBUDNA1
KERNEL: Stock
RECOVERY: CWM 6.0.4.7
WARRANTY BIT: 1

Quote:
“He who answers a matter before he hears it, It is folly and shame to him.” Proverbs 18:13

AzureV
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by donalgodon View Post
Two things will tell you:

CPU Z and the TW dialer codes. The fakes don't have the correct processors and the Samsung dialer codes don't work on fakes.
True. I did read about this somewhere else. However, as I stated earlier, I want to keep it mint in the box so I can sell it. I have no intention of using it for myself.

That's why I was inquiring for clues to know whether it's genuine or not from just the packaging.

Below I have attached a picture of the packaging. Maybe that can help shed some lights.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1378857724028.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	2248821  

sepam00
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default help!

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-23-16-16-39.png
Views:	1223
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	2534245Hello! Guys. I just want to know if my s4 is original coz im confused. It was made in india by samsung at back under the battery. Thanks guys much appriciated for replies.ģClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-23-16-16-39.png
Views:	1223
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	2534245
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-23-16-16-20.png
Views:	471
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	2534246