Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,404 Members 48,948 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Twrp won't install custom rom gives error message

Tip us?

Jacobloveskindles
Old
(Last edited by Jacobloveskindles; 22nd April 2013 at 12:35 AM.) Reason: not enough details
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Info 2 [Q] Twrp won't install custom rom gives error message

the error message was error flashing zip then it went to updating partition details.should i just continue with it or what?edit:it also shows the 3 buttons that you get at the end of an installation and the rom i was flashing was cyanogenmod 10
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacobloveskindles For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

soupmagnet
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobloveskindles View Post
the error message was error flashing zip then it went to updating partition details.should i just continue with it or what?edit:it also shows the 3 buttons that you get at the end of an installation and the rom i was flashing was cyanogenmod 10
That's a known bug in TWRP. Install a version previous to the one you're using, or install COTR.

Jacobloveskindles
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default safe method of doing that

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupmagnet View Post
That's a known bug in TWRP. Install a version previous to the one you're using, or install COTR.
my kindle has no system files and i forgot to make a backup.how do i do that in linux

soupmagnet
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2,386
Quote:
my kindle has no system files and i forgot to make a backup.how do i do that in linux
fastboot

Jacobloveskindles
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
fastboot
not to sound like a total noob but how do I do it in fastboot

soupmagnet
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2,386
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1668159

Jacobloveskindles
Old
(Last edited by Jacobloveskindles; 22nd April 2013 at 05:31 PM.) Reason: easier way
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default if i do this will it overwrite my other recovery?

Quote:
If I use your soup kit to change into fast boot can I just install twrp on soup kit and it will downgrade me to an older version?

soupmagnet
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2,386
Quote:
If I use your soup kit to change into fast boot can I just install twrp on soup kit and it will downgrade me to an older version?
Yes, the SoupKit that is posted now has an older version of TWRP. I'm in the process of updating it so you should probably grab it while you have the chance, should you decide to go that route. You could also install Cannibal Open Touch Recovery. All versions of it are quite stable.

Jacobloveskindles
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default confused

Quote:
Yes, the SoupKit that is posted now has an older version of TWRP. I'm in the process of updating it so you should probably grab it while you have the chance, should you decide to go that route. You could also install Cannibal Open Touch Recovery. All versions of it are quite stable.
So if I'm inside twrp and have soupkit up on the PC and have my kindle plugged in and change it to fast boot then hit flash twrp will it do its thing and downgrade me and reboot my kindle into twrp 2.2 and let me install a ROM.

soupmagnet
Old
(Last edited by soupmagnet; 22nd April 2013 at 07:43 PM.)
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2,386
It has been brought to my attention that you may be confused between the KFU (Kindle Fire Utility) and TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project). The KFU is a Windows based utility used to change bootmodes, install custom versions of the recovery and bootloader partition images along with various other tasks. It has no affiliation with TWRP, COTR, or FireFireFire, other than it installs them to your device for you.

However, the "bug" in TWRP mentioned earlier is due to that way it handles the updater scripts in certain ROMS. It has nothing to do with your system files. The reason you have no system files right now, is because you wiped them prior to attempting to flash a ROM. Since the ROM was never successfully flashed, you have no system files in place, therefore nothing to boot to.

Downgrade your version of TWRP, or install a different recovery altogether, make sure you have wiped data (factory reset) and reinstall your ROM. After that, you should no longer have any problems.

I strongly suggest you take the time to read the guides and tutorials available for the Kindle Fire and make sure you understand how everything works before you do something and get yourself in a situation that you can't get out of on your own.