OP Krunk_Kracker

15th August 2012, 04:37 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lakeland
Thanks Meter: 653

1,223 posts
Donate to Me
More
Noticed none of the current builds have the CRT animation enabled, thought I'd share how to turn it on. Please note that it is at times a bit buggy. For me it works about 8 out of 10 times.

What it is:

Note: 1 - This will work on any device and on any version of Android back to GB. (Obviously the Nexus specific tools wont work on anything other than the Nexus)

Note 2 - You will have to redo this every time you update your rom.

Here's the quick rundown -

First, you'll have to pull the framework-res.apk from your tablet.

This can be done via adb, but the easiest way would be to either use WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit or mskips Google Nexus 7 TOOLKIT.

When asked what file to pull, type in "/system/framework/framework-res.apk" (without quotes)

Once you have that pulled, install this tool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1432152

Follow the directions on how to use it in the thread.

Once you have decompiled the apk, you'll want to edit the "files-to-edit\framework-res.apk\res\values\bools.xml" file.

The value you want to change in the bools value is the "<bool name="config_animateScreenLights">true</bool>" change "true" to "false". I reccommend downloading Notepad++ to edit.

Make sure you save it. Once saved, recompile the apk using the tool you install, then create an update zip (I renamed mine to crtanimation.zip for ease).

Reboot into recovery, flash the zip, clear cache, reboot.

Tada!
Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 16th August 2012 at 04:24 PM.
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Krunk_Kracker For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th August 2012, 04:39 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 118

564 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krunk_Kracker

Noticed none of the current builds have the CRT animation enabled, thought I'd share how to turn it on. Please note that it is at times a bit buggy. For me it works about 8 out of 10 times.

Here's the quick rundown -

First, you'll have to pull the framework-res.apk from your tablet.

This can be done via adb, but the easiest way would be to either use WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit or mskips Google Nexus 7 TOOLKIT.

When asked what file to pull, type in "/system/framework/framework-res.apk" (without quotes)

Once you have that pulled, install this tool: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1432152

Follow the directions on how to use it in the thread.

Once you have decompiled the apk, you'll want to edit the "files-to-edit\framework-res.apk\res\valuesbools.xml" file.

The value you want to change in the bools value is the "<bool name="config_animateScreenLights">true</bool>" change "true" to "false".

Make sure you save it. Once saved, recompile the apk using the tool you install, then create an update zip (I renamed mine to crtanimation.zip for ease).

Reboot into recovery, flash the zip, reboot.

Tada!

"Once you have that pulled, install this tool: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1432152"
This link is not working.
15th August 2012, 04:41 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lakeland

1,223 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahrirSquare

"Once you have that pulled, install this tool: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1432152"
This link is not working.

Apologies.

Fixed now
16th August 2012, 03:24 PM   |  #4  
Flag San Antonio
Thanks Meter: 9

158 posts
More
Why would someone want to do this?
16th August 2012, 03:45 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lakeland

1,223 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardsix

Why would someone want to do this?

Why would someone want to put a custom rom on N7?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Krunk_Kracker For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th August 2012, 03:58 PM   |  #6  
Flag Mesa AZ
Thanks Meter: 556

2,314 posts
More
They most likely don't know what CRT animation is, NOT why they might want to make changes to the system.

Nothing in the OP provides a hint as to what that is or what it does. To be honest, I'm not sure I know what it is. A quick search shows that it is enabled in a lot of ROMs but not what it actually is or does.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Last edited by krelvinaz; 16th August 2012 at 04:10 PM.
16th August 2012, 04:15 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lakeland

1,223 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelvinaz

They most likely don't know what CRT animation is, NOT why they might want to make changes to the system.

Nothing in the OP provides a hint as to what that is or what it does. To be honest, I'm not sure I know what it is. A quick search shows that it is enabled in a lot of ROMs but not what it actually is or does.

Sent from my Nexus 7

OK, makes sense, I was assuming most knew what it meant.

I'll make a quick video.

Just made a video, uploading it.
Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 16th August 2012 at 04:20 PM.
16th August 2012, 04:23 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 79

232 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelvinaz

Sent from my Nexus 7

If you don't know what it is then you obviously haven't flashed many roms and therefore should probably not even attempt this...

Thanks OP and sry for the ungrateful ones here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NotablyNice For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th August 2012, 04:25 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lakeland

1,223 posts
Donate to Me
More
updated OP with a demo vid

I guess the CRT animation is more obscure than I thought.
Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 16th August 2012 at 04:30 PM.
16th August 2012, 04:50 PM   |  #10  
Flag Mesa AZ
Thanks Meter: 556

2,314 posts
More
Okay... I get it... It enables animation effects when turning the device off, rather than just blanking the screen.

I get the same effect turning on and off with
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....turnoffscreen

You can select from a number of effects, sounds for both when the device is turned on and off via the button. You have to hit the button for it to do it, but for the risk of modifying system files, this is easy and safe to do.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread