Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,051 Members 53,587 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

browser in qslide apps for vzw g2

Tip us?

blazewit
Old
(Last edited by blazewit; 3rd December 2013 at 12:01 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 114

DONATE TO ME
Default browser in qslide apps for vzw g2

As all of us vzw g2 owners know, verizon left out the browser app in favor of chrome. But they didnt enable qslide with chrome. We do have the stock browser in a flashable zip but it doesn't show up in qslide. Untill now lol. I take no credit for this i just figured it out through trial and error. Ok first flash the stock browser zip from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2452399 then copy this browser apk https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0l...it?usp=sharing to system and reboot, bingo stock lg browser in qslide. Don't forget to hit thanks if this helps you out.
the definition of open: “mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git:// android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make" .....gangsta mike drop...
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to blazewit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lakaw
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Great! Although the icon works fine for me. What I'd like to see is Mobile hotspot in quick settings...

mzimand
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazewit View Post
As all of us vzw g2 owners know, verizon left out the browser app in favor of chrome. But they didnt enable qslide with chrome. We do have the stock browser in a flashable zip but it doesn't show up in qslide. Untill now lol. I take no credit for this i just figured it out through trial and error. Ok first flash the stock browser zip from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2452399 then copy this browser apk https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0l...it?usp=sharing to system and reboot, bingo stock lg browser in qslide. Don't forget to hit thanks if this helps you out.
Where in the System do we put the apk? Also do we have to rename the apk?

garywojdan81
Old
Thanks Meter 532
Put the apk in system/app. I renamed it to browser.apk just for my own convenience. You don't have to though.
To the o.p., thanks this worked perfectly.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garywojdan81 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

blazewit
Old
(Last edited by blazewit; 3rd December 2013 at 04:56 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 114

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by garywojdan81 View Post
Put the apk in system/app. I renamed it to browser.apk just for my own convenience. You don't have to though.
To the o.p., thanks this worked perfectly.

Yea i actually just put it in system/app and clicked the button to overwrite the old one, glad it works for u bro although I have no idea why lol
the definition of open: “mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git:// android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make" .....gangsta mike drop...

dajmanjt
Old
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:
Yea i actually just put it in system/app and clicked the button to overwrite the old one, glad it works for u bro although I have no idea why lol
Honestly I am pretty sure you don't have to flash the browser zip before putting the apk in the system/app folder. Just rename the apk you provided to LGBrowser.apk and put it in system/app, also changing the permissions to match the other system apps. The zip is simply flashing the same file without the qslide properties that are built into the apk you have linked to. For some reason those properties were not included in the zip scott posted for the LG browser. Great find overall! Just wanted to clarify that people dont need to flash the zip... just use the apk you provided named correctly with the correct permissions in the system/app folder and reboot. Sweetness!!!

garywojdan81
Old
Thanks Meter 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajmanjt View Post
Honestly I am pretty sure you don't have to flash the browser zip before putting the apk in the system/app folder. Just rename the apk you provided to LGBrowser.apk and put it in system/app, also changing the permissions to match the other system apps. The zip is simply flashing the same file without the qslide properties that are built into the apk you have linked to. For some reason those properties were not included in the zip scott posted for the LG browser. Great find overall! Just wanted to clarify that people dont need to flash the zip... just use the apk you provided named correctly with the correct permissions in the system/app folder and reboot. Sweetness!!!
Not my experience. I tried pushing & renaming just the apk when Scott first posted it. Fixed permissions, reboot & the icon didn't even show up. Booted back into twrp to wipe cache/dalvik & fix permissions from there & when I rebooted the icon was present but gave an immediate FC when selected. I gave up on it & grabbed the aosp browser from the play store.
This has been the only way I could get the stock lg browser to work at all. Having it in qslide is just icing on the cake.

The Following User Says Thank You to garywojdan81 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dajmanjt
Old
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by garywojdan81 View Post
Not my experience. I tried pushing & renaming just the apk when Scott first posted it. Fixed permissions, reboot & the icon didn't even show up. Booted back into twrp to wipe cache/dalvik & fix permissions from there & when I rebooted the icon was present but gave an immediate FC when selected. I gave up on it & grabbed the aosp browser from the play store.
This has been the only way I could get the stock lg browser to work at all. Having it in qslide is just icing on the cake.

The key to your statements is you were using Scott's apk which is not this apk posted. Compare the apk in Scott's zip to this one. I am talking about pushing this apk into the system without flashing Scott's zip. But if you needed Scott's zip flashed first and then pushing this apk I suppose there must be something going on in the background I'm not aware of. In my experience they are different apks. Scott's zip flashes the first browser version into system/app folder and then all we are doing is then pushing this second version apk and overwriting it. So basically the first step is unnecessary imho. But whatever works thanks to the op for this other apk.

blazewit
Old
(Last edited by blazewit; 4th December 2013 at 12:14 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 114

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajmanjt View Post
I tried just pushing the apk to system/app and rebooting and it didn't work for me that's why I said to do it the way I have it in the op. If it works for people with out the initial flash great, but if anyone gets force closes after just pushing the apk try flashing the zip 1st
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blazewit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thenewak
Old
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Default ....

Quote:
I tried just pushing the apk to system/app and rebooting and it didn't work for me that's why I said to do it the way I have it in the op. If it works for people with out the initial flash great, but if anyone gets force closes after just pushing the apk try flashing the zip 1st

after flashing I did get the qslide app but when trying to go to google.com i get the error in the picture. it is also happening on Chrome browser now too. I cannot search google either from the browsers...any help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-12-05 10.27.25.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	2434701