MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

Is there a standalone gps in this model?

3rd March 2014, 08:02 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 11

201 posts
The only reason I have been holding onto my ipad air is for the ability to use it as a navigation device. Tomtom works great even if not connected to the internet.

Will the tab pro 12.2 work the same way or does it need to be connected to the internet? Maybe a specific model I should get?
3rd March 2014, 08:41 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 104

497 posts
Yes it will work with the tom tom or similar app. Google maps would require a connection though

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
4th March 2014, 02:13 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

201 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duly.noted

Yes it will work with the tom tom or similar app. Google maps would require a connection though

Will I need to get the LTE model? I had to buy the iPad Air LTE model because the wifi model would not work with the navigation programs without a connection....
4th March 2014, 02:39 AM   |  #4  

497 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billinaz

Will I need to get the LTE model? I had to buy the iPad Air LTE model because the wifi model would not work with the navigation programs without a connection....

There are a few gps apps you can download on android that do not require a data connection to function. You have to download all the maps but they work.
4th March 2014, 02:44 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

201 posts
OK, Im pretty sure tomtom is one. I am going to try the 64GB wifi model note pro and see if it works. If it does, the iPad air goes on craigslist!
4th March 2014, 06:02 AM   |  #6  
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 179

780 posts
Just curious but why such large screen GPS devices? You could probably do a nexus 7 and have an easier time mounting it in a car than a large tablet.
5th March 2014, 08:19 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

201 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy996

Just curious but why such large screen GPS devices? You could probably do a nexus 7 and have an easier time mounting it in a car than a large tablet.

Not its main purpose, but it would be used that way once in a while.......
5th March 2014, 09:00 PM   |  #8  
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 179

780 posts
Cool.

I'm noticing on the wifi that if pushed hard during charging (multi-window use with heavy video decoding) it just doesn't have much forward progress on charging. I have no idea how this thing will perform on a car charger with GPS running and screen brightness turned up to be visible in daylight. Hopefully it at least stays at a given level and doesn't lose ground on battery % in such a use case.
5th March 2014, 09:30 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 61

323 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billinaz

That's an Apple BS thing. They don't include a GPS chip on the Wifi model to save cost. Most Android tablet come with a GPS chip...
5th March 2014, 10:00 PM   |  #10  

497 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy996

Cool.

I'm noticing on the wifi that if pushed hard during charging (multi-window use with heavy video decoding) it just doesn't have much forward progress on charging. I have no idea how this thing will perform on a car charger with GPS running and screen brightness turned up to be visible in daylight. Hopefully it at least stays at a given level and doesn't lose ground on battery % in such a use case.

True you might want to het an ac dc converter

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread