Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,820 Members 49,883 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is there a standalone gps in this model?

Tip us?

billinaz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default Is there a standalone gps in this model?

The only reason I have been holding onto my ipad air is for the ability to use it as a navigation device. Tomtom works great even if not connected to the internet.

Will the tab pro 12.2 work the same way or does it need to be connected to the internet? Maybe a specific model I should get?

Duly.noted
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Yes it will work with the tom tom or similar app. Google maps would require a connection though

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

billinaz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duly.noted View Post
Yes it will work with the tom tom or similar app. Google maps would require a connection though

Will I need to get the LTE model? I had to buy the iPad Air LTE model because the wifi model would not work with the navigation programs without a connection....

Duly.noted
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by billinaz View Post
Will I need to get the LTE model? I had to buy the iPad Air LTE model because the wifi model would not work with the navigation programs without a connection....
There are a few gps apps you can download on android that do not require a data connection to function. You have to download all the maps but they work.

billinaz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
OK, Im pretty sure tomtom is one. I am going to try the 64GB wifi model note pro and see if it works. If it does, the iPad air goes on craigslist!

muzzy996
Old
Thanks Meter 154
Just curious but why such large screen GPS devices? You could probably do a nexus 7 and have an easier time mounting it in a car than a large tablet.

billinaz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy996 View Post
Just curious but why such large screen GPS devices? You could probably do a nexus 7 and have an easier time mounting it in a car than a large tablet.
Not its main purpose, but it would be used that way once in a while.......

muzzy996
Old
Thanks Meter 154
Cool.

I'm noticing on the wifi that if pushed hard during charging (multi-window use with heavy video decoding) it just doesn't have much forward progress on charging. I have no idea how this thing will perform on a car charger with GPS running and screen brightness turned up to be visible in daylight. Hopefully it at least stays at a given level and doesn't lose ground on battery % in such a use case.

rkirmeier
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by billinaz View Post
That's an Apple BS thing. They don't include a GPS chip on the Wifi model to save cost. Most Android tablet come with a GPS chip...

Duly.noted
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy996 View Post
Cool.

I'm noticing on the wifi that if pushed hard during charging (multi-window use with heavy video decoding) it just doesn't have much forward progress on charging. I have no idea how this thing will perform on a car charger with GPS running and screen brightness turned up to be visible in daylight. Hopefully it at least stays at a given level and doesn't lose ground on battery % in such a use case.
True you might want to het an ac dc converter