FORUMS

Google Now Interfaces With Third-Party Messaging Apps

Google has announced that Ok Google voice commands can now be used to send … more

Make Your Lockscreen More Productive With Widgets

Are you running Android Lollipop? Do you miss the ability to add widgets to your lock … more

Moto X Style, Moto X Play and Moto G Forums Are Here!

The latest family members of the new generation of Motorola devices are … more

Galaxy Unpacked: What is Samsung Going to Unveil?

Amidst all the hype of the OnePlus 2 and the rain of Moto 2015 news, Samsung tried … more

Is there a standalone gps in this model?

338 posts
Thanks Meter: 39
 
By billinaz, Senior Member on 3rd March 2014, 08:02 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
The only reason I have been holding onto my ipad air is for the ability to use it as a navigation device. Tomtom works great even if not connected to the internet.

Will the tab pro 12.2 work the same way or does it need to be connected to the internet? Maybe a specific model I should get?
 
 
3rd March 2014, 08:41 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 111
 
More
Yes it will work with the tom tom or similar app. Google maps would require a connection though

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
4th March 2014, 02:13 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 39
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duly.noted

Yes it will work with the tom tom or similar app. Google maps would require a connection though

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Will I need to get the LTE model? I had to buy the iPad Air LTE model because the wifi model would not work with the navigation programs without a connection....
4th March 2014, 02:39 AM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 111
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by billinaz

Will I need to get the LTE model? I had to buy the iPad Air LTE model because the wifi model would not work with the navigation programs without a connection....

There are a few gps apps you can download on android that do not require a data connection to function. You have to download all the maps but they work.
4th March 2014, 02:44 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 39
 
More
OK, Im pretty sure tomtom is one. I am going to try the 64GB wifi model note pro and see if it works. If it does, the iPad air goes on craigslist!
4th March 2014, 06:02 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 228
 
More
Just curious but why such large screen GPS devices? You could probably do a nexus 7 and have an easier time mounting it in a car than a large tablet.
5th March 2014, 08:19 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 39
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy996

Just curious but why such large screen GPS devices? You could probably do a nexus 7 and have an easier time mounting it in a car than a large tablet.

Not its main purpose, but it would be used that way once in a while.......
5th March 2014, 09:00 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 228
 
More
Cool.

I'm noticing on the wifi that if pushed hard during charging (multi-window use with heavy video decoding) it just doesn't have much forward progress on charging. I have no idea how this thing will perform on a car charger with GPS running and screen brightness turned up to be visible in daylight. Hopefully it at least stays at a given level and doesn't lose ground on battery % in such a use case.
5th March 2014, 09:30 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 69
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by billinaz

Will I need to get the LTE model? I had to buy the iPad Air LTE model because the wifi model would not work with the navigation programs without a connection....

That's an Apple BS thing. They don't include a GPS chip on the Wifi model to save cost. Most Android tablet come with a GPS chip...
5th March 2014, 10:00 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 111
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy996

Cool.

I'm noticing on the wifi that if pushed hard during charging (multi-window use with heavy video decoding) it just doesn't have much forward progress on charging. I have no idea how this thing will perform on a car charger with GPS running and screen brightness turned up to be visible in daylight. Hopefully it at least stays at a given level and doesn't lose ground on battery % in such a use case.

True you might want to het an ac dc converter

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
6th March 2014, 02:02 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Flag Galaxy S, quadrant 2
Thanks Meter: 63
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duly.noted

Yes it will work with the tom tom or similar app. Google maps would require a connection though

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

wrong. just make the map area available offline and as long as your route doesn't leave the downloaded area you're golden

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes