Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,941 Members 38,312 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Accessing a healthy SD card

Tip us?

superbeastarina
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Accessing a healthy SD card

Everything is perfectly fine with the phone, it isn't malfunctioning, no water damage, no issues turning on or anything, I'm just lazy I guess you could say. Basically, I just got a new phone (Samsung Galaxy Note - original) and I knew the day would come, that when I updated the phone, nothing would transfer because I would have to get a new sim card (the HTC HD7 takes a regular while the Galaxy Note takes a mini or w/e) and the HTC HD7 has like 0 backup functioning except the online cloud (which is next to nothing). I understand that the HTC HD7 has a removable SD card that holds all its internal data (I actually had to restore once on my husband's because his phone kept freezing, it took actually removing it to fix).

I am hoping that maybe I can remove it and either transfer all the data (contacts, picures, sms, etc) to a computer by putting it directly in the computer (rather than using zune or some other backup software) so I can then use the samsung program to transfer it onto my new phone or otherwise put the SD directly into the new phone and access the files that way so I can access and save the information I need directly from the card. Is this at all possible with a healthy card? I have a feeling its asking a lot (I'm thinking its encrypted) but I have 3 years worth of phone usage, there is A LOT of data I have to transfer, and the zune may backup pictures, but not those I haven't removed from texts; backup software usually compresses and will only transfer back to the same device; and the online cloud wont transfer (like the address book I'm pretty sure can't be transferred to any phone except the one it was set up with, but even if it could, I think its specific to windows phone, windows phone is like the least cross-platform compatible, even compared to blackberry surprisingly).

I have my phone developer unlocked (and have the interop available although not active because it was making some apps act up. I basically got my phone to a point where I could sideload a few apps and upgrade to windows 7.8 but that is about it. My husband's phone isn't however, and he is still at windows 7.5), not sure if that makes a difference/helps/hurts.

Any help is appreciated, or additionally suggestions on how to transfer multiple items from the HTC HD7 to the Samsung Galaxy Note.

ThomasKIK
Old
(Last edited by ThomasKIK; 20th February 2014 at 09:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbeastarina View Post
Everything is perfectly fine with the phone, it isn't malfunctioning, no water damage, no issues turning on or anything, I'm just lazy I guess you could say. Basically, I just got a new phone (Samsung Galaxy Note - original) and I knew the day would come, that when I updated the phone, nothing would transfer because I would have to get a new sim card (the HTC HD7 takes a regular while the Galaxy Note takes a mini or w/e) and the HTC HD7 has like 0 backup functioning except the online cloud (which is next to nothing). I understand that the HTC HD7 has a removable SD card that holds all its internal data (I actually had to restore once on my husband's because his phone kept freezing, it took actually removing it to fix).

I am hoping that maybe I can remove it and either transfer all the data (contacts, picures, sms, etc) to a computer by putting it directly in the computer (rather than using zune or some other backup software) so I can then use the samsung program to transfer it onto my new phone or otherwise put the SD directly into the new phone and access the files that way so I can access and save the information I need directly from the card. Is this at all possible with a healthy card? I have a feeling its asking a lot (I'm thinking its encrypted) but I have 3 years worth of phone usage, there is A LOT of data I have to transfer, and the zune may backup pictures, but not those I haven't removed from texts; backup software usually compresses and will only transfer back to the same device; and the online cloud wont transfer (like the address book I'm pretty sure can't be transferred to any phone except the one it was set up with, but even if it could, I think its specific to windows phone, windows phone is like the least cross-platform compatible, even compared to blackberry surprisingly).

I have my phone developer unlocked (and have the interop available although not active because it was making some apps act up. I basically got my phone to a point where I could sideload a few apps and upgrade to windows 7.8 but that is about it. My husband's phone isn't however, and he is still at windows 7.5), not sure if that makes a difference/helps/hurts.

Any help is appreciated, or additionally suggestions on how to transfer multiple items from the HTC HD7 to the Samsung Galaxy Note.
The SD-card is formatted in such a way that you can't access on Windows or Mac. What you can do on the other hand is to go to your local phone store and let them resize your SIM-card.

Best regards,
Thomas
Old Nokia?
Samsung Star
HTC HD2 broken screen
HTC HD7 broken
MIZ Z2 MTK6589 (Star S5) broken buttons and a broken screen
iOcean X7 Plus, sold and upgraded

iOcean X7S Elite
CPU: MTK6592 1.7Ghz

iOcean X8, sold after review