Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,670 Members 44,954 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] US GSM Moto G won't work on AT&T

Tip us?

shlurpee
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] US GSM Moto G won't work on AT&T

Hi guys,

Just got my Moto G from Amazon. Upgrading from a SG2 skyrocket. Went to AT&T store to get a micro SIM. Before leaving the store I made a test call, worked perfectly. When I got home I wanted to test the HSPA+ speeds. It won't connect to mobile network. Called AT&T and they said the IMEI is not recognized in their system as a phone, and as such, will not be assigned a data plan. I called Motorola and they said since I bought it from Amazon, only Amazon can help me.

So I requested a new unit from Amazon, but then I got thinking...is there a way to fix this without having to return it? I don't want to go back to my SG2 for a week while I wait.

As a secondary note, I had my SG2 look for the Moto G via bluetooth and it was recognized as "XT-######". I thought that was strange that it wasn't called Moto G or something similar.

Any help or ideas?

Thanks,
D.

romuloxiii
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Have you checked the APN settings?

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Jooosty
Old
Thanks Meter 93
I'm on AT&T with a Motorola shipped device. Everything is fine here.

Sent from my MOTO G!!!
HTC ULTIMEIGHT!

shlurpee
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by romuloxiii View Post
Have you checked the APN settings?

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Nope. I know where the APN settings are, but I don't know what I'd be looking for.

plmiller0905
Old
Thanks Meter 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooosty View Post
I'm on AT&T with a Motorola shipped device. Everything is fine here.

Sent from my MOTO G!!!
Same here.. Check your APN settings

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

ztmike
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlurpee View Post
Nope. I know where the APN settings are, but I don't know what I'd be looking for.
You need to find out what AT&T's APN settings are (Or whatever carrier you're using) and double check if they match with the one you've chosen on your phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to ztmike For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shlurpee
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztmike View Post
You need to find out what AT&T's APN settings are (Or whatever carrier you're using) and double check if they match with the one you've chosen on your phone.

Sweet!!! Thanks. after a few google's I found what I needed. Now it's working just fine. thank you!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shlurpee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jooosty
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
Sweet!!! Thanks. after a few google's I found what I needed. Now it's working just fine. thank you!!
The sweet feel of victory and success

Sent from my MOTO G!!!
HTC ULTIMEIGHT!

deepen915
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Hi guys,

Just got my Moto G from Amazon. Upgrading from a SG2 skyrocket. Went to AT&T store to get a micro SIM. Before leaving the store I made a test call, worked perfectly. When I got home I wanted to test the HSPA+ speeds. It won't connect to mobile network. Called AT&T and they said the IMEI is not recognized in their system as a phone, and as such, will not be assigned a data plan. I called Motorola and they said since I bought it from Amazon, only Amazon can help me.

So I requested a new unit from Amazon, but then I got thinking...is there a way to fix this without having to return it? I don't want to go back to my SG2 for a week while I wait.

As a secondary note, I had my SG2 look for the Moto G via bluetooth and it was recognized as "XT-######". I thought that was strange that it wasn't called Moto G or something similar.

Any help or ideas?

Thanks,
D.
wait it's not recognized as a smartphone by AT&T? You may have just answered my question! I was looking everywhere to confirm this. I want to get the G for my mom to use on her line, she has a data block, I don't want to use data. So can you confirm this?

shlurpee
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen915 View Post
wait it's not recognized as a smartphone by AT&T? You may have just answered my question! I was looking everywhere to confirm this. I want to get the G for my mom to use on her line, she has a data block, I don't want to use data. So can you confirm this?
Just replied to your thread. It won't work. AT&T eventually recognized that it was s smartphone trying to connect to the network. They put me on a pay-as-you-go data plan at $2/mb.

Tags
imei, mobile network, moto g