Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,098 Members 46,385 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CM11 and IBSS / AdHoc?

Tip us?

bftb0
Old
(Last edited by bftb0; 19th December 2013 at 10:01 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 793
Default CM11 and IBSS / AdHoc?

Two steps forward, one step back. IBSS/AdHoc WiFi networking support does not seem to be present in CM-11.

(Or perhaps a better way to describe this is that the Settings and Base class mods and wpa_supplicant patch sets were never committed to the the CM-11 branch)

So here's my question: has anyone seen this discussed someplace on the 'net by the CM dev team at a high level? That is, does CM have some sort of official position about IBSS/AdHoc support? Or is it more just a matter of needing a couple of devs to dive in and submit a set of patches against the CM-11 branch?

(I'm not sure at this point but I think that the CM10.2 patches might intersect with recent P2P/WiDi features in the CM-11 branch)

History:

The CM10.2 branch had support so that the non-hardware-dependent portions of CM (e.g. Settings Menus) would handle hardware with and without IBSS support, e.g.:

CM-10.2 WifiSettings.java

Code:
             for (ScanResult result : results) {
                // Ignore hidden networks.
                if (result.SSID == null || result.SSID.length() == 0) {
                    continue;
                }

// Ignore IBSS if chipset does not support them
                if (!mIbssSupported && result.capabilities.contains("[IBSS]")) {
                    continue;
                }
versus CM11 : WifiSettings.java :
Code:
             for (ScanResult result : results) {
                // Ignore hidden and ad-hoc networks.
                if (result.SSID == null || result.SSID.length() == 0 ||
                        result.capabilities.contains("[IBSS]")) {
                    continue;
                }
There's more to it than just that, of course.

I have a temporary tethering workaround for CM11 - using USB tethering and RNDIS, but it would be nice to be able to place my phone on a charger and have long-duration tethering as a possibility ... rather than trying a Y-cable/OTG hack. (I can't use BT tethering with my old phone, it panics the kernel on that device)

Any commentary is welcome.

FWIW I went and built both the full CM-11 tree (and also a RNDIS-enabled version of Metallice's a64 kernel). I think the CM 11 repo tree took up 22 GB of disk space when the sync was complete, and the build tree (without CCACHE) ended up at 50+ GB. I really didn't have enough RAM to avoid swap - one of the link steps runs up to 4.5 GB of virtual memory space... but with 6 gigs of swap space, 3 cores, and only 1.5GB of RAM dedicated to a VM, the build completed... slowly. I guess I need some RAM for Christmas
"I'm gonna start coding placebo apps. That way I will be sure that the complaints are real and the praises hollow."

br101
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Hi, I just ported the changes to CM-11 and uploaded it for review:

see review.cyanogenmod.org change # 61020 (sorry, I'm not allowed to post URLs)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to br101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]