Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,583 Members 38,109 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SPH-L720 UICC Release

Tip us?

Nautilusus
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default SPH-L720 UICC Release

SPH-L720 UICC release or GSM unlock. I am not asking for the code....... but if I could get some insight to how this phone OS works.
Flashing ROM just changes the OS but the core phone setting remain the same. So what keeps those settings?

thundercles
Old
Thanks Meter 19

DONATE TO ME
the UICC unlock is implemented OTA by a special PRL file that is pushed to the IMEI/MEID number (I think, I have not seen anything that indicates that the file is pushed based on the ICCID or whatever it is called number, you seem to be able to do this feature with any sim in there, as long as sprint released the prl file to be pushed to your phone.)

It is implemented deep in the BP firmware like the sim lock code and simply flashing modem images or messing with the RIL files will not work to my knowledge. I have only seen one developer so far in my poking around who seems to have been able to figure out a way to UICC unlock just the S4 entirely independent from sprint. Unfortunately he has this solution implemented in a closed source windows application and I didn't see much discussion from him as to how he did it. I tried contacting him on my own with no response currently, I am currently looking into a UICC unlock method for moto x but I think that more universal method for doing the UICC unlock may be possible, we just gotta look into all the information about how sprint implements this. Sprint and their MVDO resellers are the only ones to do this to my knowledge, they seem to pretty much exclusively use the UICC card for carrier locking the device, they implement EVERYTHING else off NV items from what I've seen. That's sprint for you though, just about everything about their CDMA/EV-Do/wimax/LTE implementation is ass backwards. (yeah i am a bit bitter about wimax seeing as how they sold me a 4g wimax device and then had a press release that they would switch to LTE for 4g coverage like literally a week or two after they sold me the wimax device. Thanks a lot sprint for selling me a handset that you knew you wouldn't support properly. Now I get great 4g LTE coverage through your network on VIRGIN MOBILE for half the price)