Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,710 Members 39,911 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Which memory card should I choose for Galaxy S4

Tip us?

gisek
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Which memory card should I choose for Galaxy S4

Hi

I want to buy a 64GB micro SD card form my Samsung Galaxy S4 (getting one next week ). I'm thinking about:
  • Samsung Pro (read: 70MB/sec write: 20MB/s)
  • SanDisk Ultra (read: 30MB/sec write: 30MB/s)
  • SanDisk Mobile Extreme (read: 45MB/sec write: 30MB/s)
  • ADATA (read: 30MB/sec write: 10MB/s)

All of them are class 10 and support UHS-1

The first three cost pretty much the same, ADATA is like 2/3 of their price.

The speeds provided are probably for sequential read/write. I don't know what it looks like in terms of random access. Does it even matter since this is only storage for data? (as far as I know Galaxy S4 doesn't allow you to install apps on SD card)

My second concern is recording videos in full hd. Will all of the cards handle it?

Finally will the phone take full advantage of the declared read/write speeds?

What is the most reasonable choice here?

drs155
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Speaking from personal experience, if you read up on it you'll find a lot of S4's having difficulty with some SanDisk higher capacity cards. When my SanDisk 64 gb card failed, I replaced it with a 64 gb UHS1 Samsung card. I have not had one issue with it, where the SanDisk failed daily.
Samsung Galaxy S4 Samsung Stock Rooted with Xposed and Wanam Mods
Galaxy S3 Hyperdrive latest, Ktoonsez KT747, Mild OC
Acer Iconia A200 OC to 1.5 Ghz
Samsung Infuse running Emancipation A:1, OC to 1.6ghz, minor undervolting

JessSayin
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default No problems after CM11 M3 Snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gisek View Post
Hi

I want to buy a 64GB micro SD card form my Samsung Galaxy S4 (getting one next week ). I'm thinking about:
  • Samsung Pro (read: 70MB/sec write: 20MB/s)
  • SanDisk Ultra (read: 30MB/sec write: 30MB/s)
  • SanDisk Mobile Extreme (read: 45MB/sec write: 30MB/s)
  • ADATA (read: 30MB/sec write: 10MB/s)

All of them are class 10 and support UHS-1

The first three cost pretty much the same, ADATA is like 2/3 of their price.

The speeds provided are probably for sequential read/write. I don't know what it looks like in terms of random access. Does it even matter since this is only storage for data? (as far as I know Galaxy S4 doesn't allow you to install apps on SD card)

My second concern is recording videos in full hd. Will all of the cards handle it?

Finally will the phone take full advantage of the declared read/write speeds?

What is the most reasonable choice here?

I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card I got on Amazon for about $50 and It's working great. I had to do a FULL format as opposed to a 'Quick Format' on a Windows PC.
Before the phone would suddenly tell me the SD card was removed when it wasn't. Now after a full format and CM11 SnapshotM3 no probs.

blackknightavalon
Old
Thanks Meter 396
This card has been in my S4 since the day I got it nearly 10 months ago and it has not once failed on me.
HTC Dream (G1) 12/2008-04/2010
Motorola MB200 (Cliq) 04/2010-11/2010
HTC Vision (G2) 11/2010-01/2014
HTC Doubleshot (MyTouch 4G Slide) 05/2011-06/2012
B&N Acclaim (Nook Tablet) 03/2012-12/2013
Samsung GT-I8190 (GS3 mini) 01/2013-04/2013
Samsung SGH-M919 (T-Mobile GS4) 04/2013-Backup
Samsung SM-V700 (Galaxy Gear) 12/2013-Current
Samsung N9005 (Int'l Galaxy Note 3) 12/2013-Current
Samsung SM-G900T (T-Mobile GS5) 04/2014-Current

Kawaisa
Old
Thanks Meter 214
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IIJ6W4S

currently with a deep discount for a card that was just released if you're willing to pay for it
Motorola V300 - Sony Ericsson K700i - Panasonic VS3 - Sony Ericsson W850i - HTC G1 - iPhone 2G - Samsung Vibrant - Samsung Galaxy S2 - HTC One S - Samsung Galaxy Note II - LG Nexus 4 - Samsung Galaxy S3 - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Sony Xperia Z Ultra GPe - OnePlus One - LG G3

yooeee
Old
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
earlier sandisk 64GB cards had issues (I had one). I jsut bought one last week and it's working great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaisa View Post

currently with a deep discount for a card that was just released if you're willing to pay for it
Verizon Galaxy S4 32GB

gsmyth
Old
Thanks Meter 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaisa View Post

I know they have just been released but are the 128GB cards compatible with the S4? Currently have a 32GB card at the moment, which is a San Disk replacement, the original one I had failed completely out of the blue a few months back and San Disk replaced under warranty, not had any problems since. Probably wouldnt have need for a 128GB card but would be tempted to upgrade to a 64GB one in a few months. Still nice to know we can expand to 128GB. Would make an even better justification of the inclusion of the sd card slot on the S4.

gsmyth
Old
Thanks Meter 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmyth View Post
I know they have just been released but are the 128GB cards compatible with the S4? Currently have a 32GB card at the moment, which is a San Disk replacement, the original one I had failed completely out of the blue a few months back and San Disk replaced under warranty, not had any problems since. Probably wouldnt have need for a 128GB card but would be tempted to upgrade to a 64GB one in a few months. Still nice to know we can expand to 128GB. Would make an even better justification of the inclusion of the sd card slot on the S4.
Hmm, this would seriously help extend the lifespan of my S4. Considering most android phones now have no sc card slot and 16/32GB tops.

http://phandroid.com/2014/02/27/phon...icrosdxc-card/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
HTC One M8
Nexus 7 32GB WiFi 2012 - Liquid Smooth 4.4.4

inkdup102586
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Deal of the day at best buy is sd cards. 32 gb for 22 bucks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

kuljit55
Old
Thanks Meter 178
I Just brought a samsung pro 64gb from ebay, was genuine for 31 and its decent, running smooth, no problems.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium
Samsung Galaxy S2