Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more

Prepare Your Nokia X2 for Battle with Nokia X2 Tools

Unveiled in June this year, the Nokia X2 is the Finnish companys second crack at an … more
Question

[Q] CWM v6.0.4.3 N7100 problem in supporting Stock 4.3 ROM restoration

17th December 2013, 01:18 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

4 posts
I have an International version of Note 2 (N7100) rooted with CWM recovery 6.0.4.3 (touch) installed.

In order to analyze the wakelock problem (most of the time, the CPU is at 200Mhz rather than deep sleep when it is not used. Also "battery info" tells me the battery was mostly used by "Android OS"), I have to factory reset the device and flash to the stock 4.3 ROM. I monitored the newly setup phone for a day before I rooted it and install CWM recovery 6.0.4.3 for full system backup.

Happily used the phone for a week. After my son played with it for an afternoon, the wakelock problem comes back. Not sure what settings did he changed or apps he installed. So I go ahead backup the current rom and restore the phone from the previous backups.

Here was what I have done:

1. Boot into Clockworkmod recovery
2. Clear all partition / factory reset
3. Select Backup and restore.
4. Select the backup directory that I want to restore from (the one without wakelock problem)
5. Wait for the restoration process to finish
6. System reboots.

After system rebooted, it kept popping up "unfortunately com.google.process.gapps has stopped". The device was not usable, because the message will pop up again once I click OK to dismiss it. I then tried the following, but none of them works.

1. Restore from different backups
2. Enable "download service" from application manager. (It was not disabled)
3. Reset all apps settings from "Application manager" (menu)

Trying option 2 and 3 was a pain as the popup messages was blocking the screen, I have to be really quick to dismiss the message box and touch on the command.

BTW, the CWM recovery touch was installed from Odin, not from ROM manager. I experience the following problems:
1. Issue with "backup current ROM" command from "ROM manager". It cannot find /ex_sdcard when it goes to recovery.
2. It cannot find dalvik partition to wipe.
3. Backup to zip command does not work. It does backup the files and at the end it said the backup file is in /storage/sdcard/clockworkmod/image.zip. But I cannot find the zip file any where, including the external sd card.

Here is what I did to restore my phone to previous state with stock ROM:

1. Use Odin to flash the stock rom (samsung 4.3 for N7100), which will restore the stock recovery instead of the CWM recovery.
2. Reboot the device.
3. Use Odin to flash CWM recovery.
4. Reboot the device.
5. Go into recovery and restore only the /data partition.
6. Wipe /cache.
7. Reboot the device
8. Boot back to recovery and root the device.

Now I have the phone at my previous state.

Does it mean CWM recovery will not work with stock ROMs ? or I did something wrong.

Also, I still have not find out what was the cause for the wakelock problem in "Android OS". I have two backups where one has the problem and one does not. I have tried untar them and compare them with WinMerge, but there were a lots of files to go through.
The Following User Says Thank You to fatice For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th December 2013, 12:18 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

4 posts
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatice

I have an International version of Note 2 (N7100) rooted with CWM recovery 6.0.4.3 (touch) installed.

In order to analyze the wakelock problem (most of the time, the CPU is at 200Mhz rather than deep sleep when it is not used. Also "battery info" tells me the battery was mostly used by "Android OS"), I have to factory reset the device and flash to the stock 4.3 ROM. I monitored the newly setup phone for a day before I rooted it and install CWM recovery 6.0.4.3 for full system backup.

Happily used the phone for a week. After my son played with it for an afternoon, the wakelock problem comes back. Not sure what settings did he changed or apps he installed. So I go ahead backup the current rom and restore the phone from the previous backups.

4. Select the backup directory that I want to restore from (the one without wakelock problem)
6. System reboots.

After system rebooted, it kept popping up "unfortunately com.google.process.gapps has stopped". The device was not usable, because the message will pop up again once I click OK to dismiss it. I then tried the following, but none of them works.

Trying option 2 and 3 was a pain as the popup messages was blocking the screen, I have to be really quick to dismiss the message box and touch on the command.

BTW, the CWM recovery touch was installed from Odin, not from ROM manager. I experience the following problems:
1. Issue with "backup current ROM" command from "ROM manager". It cannot find /ex_sdcard when it goes to recovery.
3. Backup to zip command does not work. It does backup the files and at the end it said the backup file is in /storage/sdcard/clockworkmod/image.zip. But I cannot find the zip file any where, including the external sd card.

1. Use Odin to flash the stock rom (samsung 4.3 for N7100), which will restore the stock recovery instead of the CWM recovery.
2. Reboot the device.
4. Reboot the device.
6. Wipe /cache.
7. Reboot the device

Does it mean CWM recovery will not work with stock ROMs ? or I did something wrong.

Also, I still have not find out what was the cause for the wakelock problem in "Android OS". I have two backups where one has the problem and one does not. I have tried untar them and compare them with WinMerge, but there were a lots of files to go through.

I did not find the problem with restoration using CWM, but did find out what causes the wakelock: "Automatic call recorder Pro".
Disable the auto start function and battery drains is back to 1% per hour during standby.
25th December 2013, 08:25 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatice

6. System reboots.

2. Reboot the device.
4. Reboot the device.
6. Wipe /cache.
7. Reboot the device

I have to say, I did encounter the replication of the same exact problem. It kept popping up "unfortunately com.google.process.gapps has stopped". I was using the same CWM recovery 6.0.4.3 for my N7100 using stock android 4.3.

Try to do so many things but fail to get rid of the pop up. At the end, I ended up having to flash rom using Odin.

Anyway, I think, there's some bug with CWM recovery 6.0.4.3 that caused the error to happen. I managed to use TRWP 2.6.3.1 without any problem to restore after that.

Regards,
5th February 2014, 11:33 PM   |  #4  

2 posts
Had exactly same problem, i downgraded cwm from 6.0.4.6 to 6.0.4.4 by using odin
Than restore works fine no problems with services.
Note 3 sm-n900w8
24th February 2014, 11:57 AM   |  #5  
Flag Stockholm

22 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlab

Had exactly same problem, i downgraded cwm from 6.0.4.6 to 6.0.4.4 by using odin
Than restore works fine no problems with services.
Note 3 sm-n900w8

Hi.

How did you downgraded CWM using odin? I am stuck in the same problem.

Khizer Jalal
25th February 2014, 12:21 AM   |  #6  

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khizerjalal

Hi.

How did you downgraded CWM using odin? I am stuck in the same problem.

Khizer Jalal

Download image and overwrite existing one
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cwm, recovery, stock rom
Previous Thread Next Thread