Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,176 Members 51,426 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

TouchWiz

Tip us?

thorissr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default TouchWiz

I must admit that I have always been a "use whatever skin came with the phone" type of guy going all the way back to 1.6, however I curiously installed the Google Now Launcher tonight and boy the Note Pro seems as if it were on steroids!!! Now I understand what people mean when they say Touchwiz is resource hog. Don't get me wrong, I'm probably considered to be one of Touchwiz's biggest fans, but..............

Good night
The Following User Says Thank You to thorissr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lawalty
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorissr View Post
I must admit that I have always been a "use whatever skin came with the phone" type of guy going all the way back to 1.6, however I curiously installed the Google Now Launcher tonight and boy the Note Pro seems as if it were on steroids!!! Now I understand what people mean when they say Touchwiz is resource hog. Don't get me wrong, I'm probably considered to be one of Touchwiz's biggest fans, but..............

Good night
Can you post the Google Play Store link for the Google Now Launcher? The only one I can find says my device is not supported.

Peace be with you!

Phone: AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
Watch: FitBIt Force

kodochax
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawalty View Post
Can you post the Google Play Store link for the Google Now Launcher? The only one I can find says my device is not supported.
You have to side load it here is a link to a download link http://www.droid-life.com/2014/02/26...version-1-0-9/
Device: OnePlus One
ROM:Stock CM 11S
Kernel:Stock
The Following User Says Thank You to kodochax For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lawalty
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodochax View Post
You have to side load it here is a link to a download link http://www.droid-life.com/2014/02/26...version-1-0-9/
Thanks bud.

Peace be with you!

thorissr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
The launcher at this moment is native only to the Nexus line and Google Play Edition devices, although the APK can be side loaded without any issues on our devices. I'm even running it on my GN3 and quite frankly I'm loving it and plan on sticking with it until it's finally supported for my devices natively.

Do a quick search for "Google Now Launcher" and you shouldn't have a problem picking up the file. Once you download it on your Pro just click install and you'll have it in less than 5 seconds.

A quick report for those who may want to install it. I have not ran into one issue since the install. No crashes, no force closes(Beat cha Watch On!!). There are reports of users with different devices reporting issues, which caused me concerns prior to my install. I'm happy to say it's as though this launcher was built for the Note Pro.

If you need additional info don't hesitate to PL me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

lawalty
Old
(Last edited by lawalty; 27th February 2014 at 03:18 PM.) Reason: Update
Thanks Meter 111
Frankly, in just the few minutes i've been playing with it, i'm LOVING IT! Like the OP, i've also been a "use whatever skin came with the phone" kinda guy. When I was using my Nexus 5, i've gotten use to the launcher. I love the simplicity of the experience. My only gripe, if any, there is none of the native TW widgets (example: Action Memo) that uses the S Pen naively.

Update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorissr View Post
I'm even running it on my GN3 and quite frankly I'm loving it and plan on sticking with it until it's finally supported for my devices natively.
I'm assuming when you said GN3 you mean your Galaxy Note 3? I been trying to also side load it on my Note 3, however i'm getting a parsing error. Thinking it was a corrupt download, i re-downloaded it, but still getting the parsing error.

Peace be with you!

thorissr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
True...touchwiz widgets takes a back seat to the "Google Experience", but all of Samsung's SPen and Multi Window features are fully intact. That was my only fear after installing was that it would break some of the features that enticed me to purchase the Note Pro. Happily everything works as it did out the box.

Our fellow brothers on the Note 10.1-2014 side are reporting excellent results as well.

thorissr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Correct I was referring to the Galaxy Note 3, and yes you are correct if you attempt to use the same APK on your Note 3 as I did initially, you will receive the parsing error message.

I ended up finding a older APK released on the net back in December and installed it and it automatically updated to the latest GNL after the install. I'm on my phone now and I have the files uploaded to dropbox, and will happily share if you like....just PM me.

thorissr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
I didn't intentionally leave the GN3 info on purpose, I just didn't want to violate rules by centering the topic on the GN3 in the Note Pro forum...I've always been a rule follower since my military days...he he he😊

zaptoons
Old
Thanks Meter 66
I tried the Google Launcher but found it to be somewhat too limited. I personally didn't like the lack of options and inability to change the grid size to make better use of the Note Pro screen.

But in many ways anything is better than TouchWiz.

I still recommend Nova Launcher the most. You can adjust everything exactly to the look/feel you prefer. It's also leaner and faster than anything else I've tried when set to "faster than light" settings.