Keyboard dock acting up

20th February 2014, 01:13 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

25 posts
Hey, this morning I had the weirdest problem with my dock, despite rarely getting any disconnects as bad as other people have.

I am running the latest firmware from December on the tablet and the dock, but I suddenly got a message from ASUS Update Service that a MobileDock firmware update is available. I decided to go ahead and click OK but it simply did nothing. It gave me an error after some loading time and the dock kept on working but the message doesn't disappear.

Also, despite charging my dock last night it is now at 6% on its indicator and it doesn't appear to be moving. Is it FUBAR? Should I just go to a service shop working with ASUS with my warranty? (I'm from Eastern Europe so no retailer shipping back, lol)
22nd February 2014, 10:40 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

25 posts
After a full discharge and charge of the dock the problem still persists. After plugging it in it went green light pretty fast but showed that it was only charged up to 70%. On the next day after barely any use, the dock showed 30% and after letting it discharge some more it still gets stuck at 6%. Also, it appears to be charging the tablet with less power.

I'm kinda ceratin that it is a software issue. Is it possible to somehow "reset" the dock's software? Reset the tablet? I really don't want to wipe it full, because I CBA to restore everything on it, but if I give it to the shop it will take a full month or 2 before they decide to give it back. Any idea on how I might go about "resetting" a dock?

Edit: Just to clarify, I stopped getting the update message from Asus to update the MobileDock firmware. I though that might be the culprit (attempted and failed "update") but the dock was at 6% even before attempting the update...

FINAL EDIT: I fixed it by doing a factory reset. God knows what went wrong with the battery sensor software. ASUS should seriously do something about their software.

Sent from my K00C using xda app-developers app
Last edited by hitmancho; 23rd February 2014 at 10:12 AM.
23rd March 2014, 04:28 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

25 posts
Sorry for the thread necro and the constant self-communication but the dock is doing the same thing again. No amount of coldbooting while docked is helping. Any help besides the good ol' wipe data? I can do it, of course, but it's getting kind of old. Isn't there a software fix to "reset" the dock's firmware or something?
23rd March 2014, 04:53 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 13,053

11,562 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmancho

Sorry for the thread necro and the constant self-communication but the dock is doing the same thing again. No amount of coldbooting while docked is helping. Any help besides the good ol' wipe data? I can do it, of course, but it's getting kind of old. Isn't there a software fix to "reset" the dock's firmware or something?

I don't know what to suggest..... Maybe use the Asus backup program so it is not too hard to restore your app data. Sounds like it needs another factory reset but I have no idea why it is happening.....
23rd March 2014, 05:22 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 3

39 posts
Quote:

Same problem here; RMA'd it, they sent it back doing the EXACT SAME THING, won't even charge on the charger disconnected from the tablet; factory data reset won't fix it.

RMA'ing it again, this time at their expense for shipping; and it's being "investgated for unrepairable"
23rd March 2014, 05:59 PM   |  #6  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 903

2,763 posts
More
Quote:

My first kb did the same thing: Erratic charge, constant update notification failing and many disconnects. I think it is a lost cause. Send it in and hope for a replacement that is less buggy

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
24th March 2014, 12:31 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

25 posts
Welp, after a couple of resets in different circumstances I finally decided to reset the tablet while it was docked AND plugged into a power outlet.
It actually worked and didn't attempt to fail an update during bootup I don't know how long this will last, hope I helped others...

Sent from my K00C using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to hitmancho For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th March 2014, 09:39 AM   |  #8  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 903

2,763 posts
More
Thanks for that! Did you do a factory reset or a simple reboot with the unit attached to power?
I did the latter and at least it seems to have fixed the erratic battery stats also don't get the upgrade notification that fails. Sometimes the simplest things have wonderous results...

25th March 2014, 04:40 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 3

39 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by berndblb

Thanks for that! Did you do a factory reset or a simple reboot with the unit attached to power?
I did the latter and at least it seems to have fixed the erratic battery stats also don't get the upgrade notification that fails. Sometimes the simplest things have wonderous results...

Glad that worked for you guys, it did not for me. I tried it four times, since I hadn't sent my dock back in yet for the second RMA. Mine won't even charge on just th ac adapter though, so definitely something else is amiss in my case.
20th August 2014, 09:26 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
Keyboard problems
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaelin

Glad that worked for you guys, it did not for me. I tried it four times, since I hadn't sent my dock back in yet for the second RMA. Mine won't even charge on just th ac adapter though, so definitely something else is amiss in my case.

Hi there,

Same problem here as Hitmancho and Zaelin: Cannot charge the TF701 through the dock and dock appears to be draining the tablet. In the beginning it worked fine - after doing a full wipe and installing CROMi-X 6.1- but then suddenly it started this erratic behavior. However I think it is a hardware problem since I actually hear the keyboard clicking when the charger is on AND the tablet is in its slot. Next to that the keyboard gets exceptionally hot just next to the slot connector which connects the keyboard and the tablet.
Does any of you experience the same problem ? And - if possible - how did you fix it ?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread