Android One Devices Get Unofficial CM12 Port

Android One was initially announced right before Android Lollipop. By releasing these cheap, yet … more

WhatsApp Decides to Protect Your Data

When Facebook bought WhatsApp for the absurdly large sum of $19bn back in February, they took the tech … more

Bring Back LTE on the Google Nexus 4 Running Lollipop

One of the predecessors of the latest, largest, and greatest Gooogle Nexus 6(theGoogle … more

Google Maps, My Maps, YouTube, Androidify, Slides, Music Updated–Here’s What’s New

In the last few weeks, Google has been … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Are new droids 4.2 or 4.4?

OP ArdW

29th January 2014, 02:18 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

60 posts
I would like to ask, if anybody know, if I buy a Droid Mini now, if the phone is 4.2 or 4.4 out of the box? I am asking because the root.
Also, if 4.2, is there a general plan when the phones will be 4.4 out of the box, or does this even happen?
Thanks
29th January 2014, 02:20 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 78

288 posts
Prob'ly 4.4. If not, update will happen after phone registration. You can defer that and prep for root first.

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.
29th January 2014, 03:56 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 144

548 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArdW

I would like to ask, if anybody know, if I buy a Droid Mini now, if the phone is 4.2 or 4.4 out of the box? I am asking because the root.
Also, if 4.2, is there a general plan when the phones will be 4.4 out of the box, or does this even happen?
Thanks

FWIW the brand new Moto X DE I received today was still on 4.2.2 pre camera update.
29th January 2014, 08:05 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 150

506 posts
Its probably gonna depend on how long the phone has been sitting there...my GUESS is it will still be 4.2.2 but could be new wrong obviously

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
29th January 2014, 10:22 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 8

75 posts
Anyone want to trade my locked version for a DE version. Lol

Sent from my XT1080 using xda app-developers app
5th February 2014, 05:15 AM   |  #6  
Dallas!
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
I know you asked about a Mini ... BUT - I was in the VZW store yesterday and picked up a Maxx - software is 4.2.2 - 12.7.7 (build date Aug 6, 2013) ... all they did was put in the sim card and that stupid OTA started (yes, yes I asked which build was on there before purchase - they said it *should* have KK ~ they were all supposed to be updated once they got into the store blah blah blah) ~ regardless ... I didn't register an email, etc ~ all they did was put in a SIM and switch it on and *whammo* - it started ... I asked the guy to put it into Airplane mode until I could figure out what to do ...

Thus far, I've been sitting here with my phone *off* Airplane mode ~ have "Background Data Restricted" and it has managed to stop that ridiculous update that I *DO NOT* want until I have the time to get it rooted and rename / delete those OTA files *sigh* (it has about 12% of the update already downloaded, but like I said - it is "suspended" until I hook up to a wireless network (which automatically was toggled "On" when I took it out of Airplane Mode) ...

Is that the same same for Droid Mini??? I don't know ... but I suspect it may well be ... If your VZW store is anything like mine??? They'll probably pull one out othe box for you and let you look ... (don't ask / don't get, right? ) ) ... HTH
5th February 2014, 08:28 AM   |  #7  

16 posts
More
The Maxx is still at 4.2.2 factory
Picked up a brand new one from Verizon today, and it was 4.2.2 out of the box. Tried to OTA as soon as they booted it, but I deferred so I could root, which thanks to Jcase was a piece of cake.

But I live in a small town that doesn't move as much stock at the bigger stores, so I would think it's possible 4.4 is now out of the box some places, but I don't know that for certain.
5th February 2014, 07:25 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 23

379 posts
I just had my Employee Edition Maxx delivered and it had 4.4 installed right out of the box. This makes sense to me since this looks to be the newest Droid device that would've come off an assembly line since it has some hardware variance.

Not thrilled as I've come to rely on many root-based changes on my original Maxx. Will probably end up returning it because of this.
8th February 2014, 07:42 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 147

781 posts
More
Picked up Maxx and 12.7.7
4.2.2. I asked if there's an ota defer it. So now I need to figure out how to root this sucker.
9th February 2014, 03:21 AM   |  #10  
OP Member

60 posts
Thank you guys, I just ordered the Mini, fingers crossed!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread