Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,313 Members 48,252 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Are new droids 4.2 or 4.4?

Tip us?

ArdW
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Are new droids 4.2 or 4.4?

I would like to ask, if anybody know, if I buy a Droid Mini now, if the phone is 4.2 or 4.4 out of the box? I am asking because the root.
Also, if 4.2, is there a general plan when the phones will be 4.4 out of the box, or does this even happen?
Thanks

Einsteindks
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Prob'ly 4.4. If not, update will happen after phone registration. You can defer that and prep for root first.

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.

BladeRunner
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArdW View Post
I would like to ask, if anybody know, if I buy a Droid Mini now, if the phone is 4.2 or 4.4 out of the box? I am asking because the root.
Also, if 4.2, is there a general plan when the phones will be 4.4 out of the box, or does this even happen?
Thanks
FWIW the brand new Moto X DE I received today was still on 4.2.2 pre camera update.

Metfanant
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Its probably gonna depend on how long the phone has been sitting there...my GUESS is it will still be 4.2.2 but could be new wrong obviously

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

coronanlime
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Anyone want to trade my locked version for a DE version. Lol

Sent from my XT1080 using xda app-developers app

LannieB
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I know you asked about a Mini ... BUT - I was in the VZW store yesterday and picked up a Maxx - software is 4.2.2 - 12.7.7 (build date Aug 6, 2013) ... all they did was put in the sim card and that stupid OTA started (yes, yes I asked which build was on there before purchase - they said it *should* have KK ~ they were all supposed to be updated once they got into the store blah blah blah) ~ regardless ... I didn't register an email, etc ~ all they did was put in a SIM and switch it on and *whammo* - it started ... I asked the guy to put it into Airplane mode until I could figure out what to do ...

Thus far, I've been sitting here with my phone *off* Airplane mode ~ have "Background Data Restricted" and it has managed to stop that ridiculous update that I *DO NOT* want until I have the time to get it rooted and rename / delete those OTA files *sigh* (it has about 12% of the update already downloaded, but like I said - it is "suspended" until I hook up to a wireless network (which automatically was toggled "On" when I took it out of Airplane Mode) ...

Is that the same same for Droid Mini??? I don't know ... but I suspect it may well be ... If your VZW store is anything like mine??? They'll probably pull one out othe box for you and let you look ... (don't ask / don't get, right? ) ) ... HTH

JoshManning
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default The Maxx is still at 4.2.2 factory

Picked up a brand new one from Verizon today, and it was 4.2.2 out of the box. Tried to OTA as soon as they booted it, but I deferred so I could root, which thanks to Jcase was a piece of cake.

But I live in a small town that doesn't move as much stock at the bigger stores, so I would think it's possible 4.4 is now out of the box some places, but I don't know that for certain.

j.bruha
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I just had my Employee Edition Maxx delivered and it had 4.4 installed right out of the box. This makes sense to me since this looks to be the newest Droid device that would've come off an assembly line since it has some hardware variance.

Not thrilled as I've come to rely on many root-based changes on my original Maxx. Will probably end up returning it because of this.

droidrev71
Old
Thanks Meter 129
Picked up Maxx and 12.7.7
4.2.2. I asked if there's an ota defer it. So now I need to figure out how to root this sucker.
Nexus 7, Nexus 7 2013
Verizon HTC ONE M8 (s-off)
ONEPLUS ONE
Verizon Black LG G3 (rooted)
3 Chromecast (rooted)

ArdW
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thank you guys, I just ordered the Mini, fingers crossed!