XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Steps for rooting the HTC Jetstream [GUIDE]

Tip us?

DNarsingh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 354
Default [GUIDE] Steps for rooting the HTC Jetstream [GUIDE]

Hi guys, over the past few weeks, I have noticed that many people are having problems rooting their Jetstreams. So because of this, I thought I would put together an all in one guide to help alleviate everyone's problems.

So what this will show you how to do:
  • Unlock the bootloader
  • Flash a custom recovery
  • Grant root access
  • Prepare the device for S-OFF

Included files:
  • HTC Drivers
  • ADB
  • Fastboot
  • TWRP 2.4.1.0
  • SuperSU 1.51

Note: This guide is for windows only

Ok, so lets begin:

Download attached zip
Install the HTC drivers
  • Do so by double clicking the HTCDriver_4.2.0.001.exe from the zip

Run the RUU if needed

I am assuming you are on a completely stock HTC Jetstream with no modifications what so ever. I am also assuming you are on the latest software 1.30.502.1 for AT&T users or 1.26.631.4 for Rodgers users. If you are not, please download and run the latest RUU from the following website:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2094375
  1. Please note that running the RUU will completely WIPE your device of all personal data, so backup accordingly
  2. To run the RUU, make sure the Jetstream is turned on and is fully booted into Android
  3. Make sure "USB Debugging" is enabled under development settings
  4. Make sure "Fastboot" is disabled under power settings
  5. Simply attach the Jetstream to your computer with the appropriate USB cord
  6. Double click on the downloaded RUU .exe file to run the program
  7. If for some reason you cannot boot into Android, you can do the following:
  • With the device turned off, hold the volume down button and simple press the power button for a second or two
  • The device will boot into the bootloader, from there use the volume buttons to navigate to fastboot and the power button to select
  • Once in fastboot, connect the device to the computer with the USB cord and then double click the downloaded RUU .exe

Now lets unlock the bootloader
  1. Please note that unlocking the bootloader will also WIPE your device
  2. Go to http://www.htcdev.com/
  3. Create an account if you do not already have one
  4. Click on "Unlock Bootloader" and then "Get Started"
  5. In the drop down box, select "HTC Jetstream"
  6. Agree to all the legal terms
  7. Follow all the instructions to obtain your unlock token
  8. To easily do this:
  • Make sure "USB Debugging" is enabled under development settings
  • Make sure "Fastboot" is disabled under power settings
  • Connect the device to the computer with the USB cable
  • Navigate to the extracted folder of the attached zip
  • Hold the shift key and right click in the folder, then select "Open Command Window Here"
  • Type the following in the command window
  • Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
  • Once the device has booted into fastboot, type the following in the command window
  • Code:
    fastboot oem get_identifier_token
  • Copy the appropriate text according to the website and submit it
  • You will then be emailed an "Unlock_code.bin" and a link to continue the unlock process
  • Download the "Unlock_code.bin" and place it in the extracted folder from earlier
  • Now type the following in the command window
  • Code:
    fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
  • On the device you will be prompted to unlock the device, use the volume keys to navigate to "Yes" and use power to select
  • The device will reboot back into Android

Now lets flash a custom recovery
  1. Connect the device to the computer with the USB cable
  2. In the extracted folder open a command window by holding the shift key, right clicking, and selecting "Open Command Window Here"
  3. Type the following in the command window
  4. Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
  5. Once the device has booted into fastboot, type the following into the command window
  6. Code:
    fastboot flash recovery htc_jetstream_twrp_recovery_2.4.1.0.img
  7. Once the custom recovery has been successfully flashed, type the following into the command window
  8. Code:
    fastboot reboot
  9. The device will then boot back into android

Now lets get root
  1. Connect the device to the computer with the USB cable
  2. Copy the "SuperSU-v1.51.zip' to the root of you SD card
  3. Go to the extracted folder, hold the shift key, right click, and select "Open Command Window Here"
  4. Now type the following into the command window
  5. Code:
    adb reboot recovery
  6. While at the recovery main menu, select the wipe option and wipe cache and dalvik cache
  7. Next go back to the main menu and select install
  8. Navigate to the SuperSU zip we placed on the SD card and flash the zip
  9. Once it flashes, go back to the main menu and reboot back into system
  10. The device will boot back into Android and the device will now be rooted!

So what now?

After completing the step above, you device should have an unlocked bootloader, and custom recovery installed, and also have root access. After having all of this you may now go on to install any custom ROMs you may want, however, I would recommend obtaining S-OFF to give yourself full control over your device.

This following link should help to explain what S-OFF is exactly:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...24&postcount=1

This next link is to the JuopunutBear S-OFF method:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1906353

People I would like to thank:
  • DoomLoRD - for his initial work with rooting the HTC Jetstream
  • jmz - for giving us a custom recovery and hosting all the RUUs for us
  • TeamWin - for TWRP
  • Chainfire - for his amazing work with Android and SuperSU
  • Fuses and the rest of Team Unlimited - for giving us an S-OFF method

Disclaimer:

Just to be clear, unlocking and rooting your HTC Jetstream voids your warranty, so anything you do to it is your decision and I am in no way responsible for anything that happens to your device :P
Phone: HTC One (S-OFF)
ROM: InsertCoin
Kernel: Weeping Angel

Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)
ROM: Paranoid Android
Kernel: Faux123

Retired Phone: HTC EVO 4G LTE (S-OFF)
ROM: Viper4G
Kernel: AnthraX

Retired Phone: HTC EVO 4G (S-OFF)
ROM: MikG
Kernel: AnthraX

Retired Tablet: HTC Jetstream (S-OFF)
ROM: El-Diablo
Kernel: Stock

My guide for all your HTC Jetstream's rooting needs!
Be sure to use the "Thanks" button if I've helped you in any way.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DNarsingh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

guru_shastri
Old
Thanks Meter 113

DONATE TO ME
great work!

cx5
Old
Thanks Meter 74
@DNarsingh

Windows 8 64 finally can ADB to Jetstream and Sensation XL.

Thanks for driver file HTCDriver_4.2.0.001.exe containing within the zip you attached. The driver within htc_sync_setup_3.3.10.exe couldn't seem to get through.

Notontherugman
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Did a factory reset on my jetstream, and lost root. When I used CWM for recovery, I tried re-rooting using the guide in this thread. After another factory reset, root was still there, so I handed the jetstream to its new owner. However, the new owner has told me that the pen icon doesn't show up when using the pen. He did another factory reset (which took longer than usual), but still nothing. Anyone know what went wrong?

finniest
Old
Thanks Meter 32

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notontherugman View Post
Did a factory reset on my jetstream, and lost root.
I've never heard of a factory reset breaking root. The components that enable root usually exist on the /system partition and it is untouched by a factory reset.

The other root method (that I am unfamiliar) with is an insecure kernel. I don't know how this works, but I am pretty sure that a factory reset should not break it.

Notontherugman
Old
(Last edited by Notontherugman; 18th February 2014 at 12:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by finniest View Post
I've never heard of a factory reset breaking root. The components that enable root usually exist on the /system partition and it is untouched by a factory reset.

The other root method (that I am unfamiliar) with is an insecure kernel. I don't know how this works, but I am pretty sure that a factory reset should not break it.
I'm not a dev, and have just been following how-tos on XDA up to now (from back in the days of HTC HD2); therefore, I can't give details since I am inexperienced.

After the factory reset, Titanium Backup was denied SU, I could not browse the root directories/folders and all the software that needed root to work would not.

My question still stands: the pen icon won't show up. Anyone know what went wrong or what he may be doing wrong? In desperate need for help.

finniest
Old
Thanks Meter 32

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
After the factory reset, Titanium Backup was denied SU, I could not browse the root directories/folders and all the software that needed root to work would not.
Did you try to install the superuser app that you were formerly using from the market? My guess is that you lost the /data/app/su.apk that manages superuser, but that the binary is still in your /system/xbin/su directory somewhere. You probably removed the seemingly redundant /system/app/su.apk while using Titanium Backup, but are now left without a copy of it.

Quote:
My question still stands: the pen icon won't show up. Anyone know what went wrong or what he may be doing wrong? In desperate need for help.
If you are using Hive ROM then the pen icon will not appear, but the pen will still work with most apps. If you are using a different ROM then I really have no idea why the pen icon is not working. Are you certain that the pen battery still has a charge?

Notontherugman
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by finniest View Post
If you are using Hive ROM then the pen icon will not appear, but the pen will still work with most apps. If you are using a different ROM then I really have no idea why the pen icon is not working. Are you certain that the pen battery still has a charge?
Not using any ROMs.

I had removed most of the bloatware when I was using it, but the pen icon was there and I could use it just fine (before the factory reset).

Now, after the factory reset and the root method above, he tried his Flyer's pen on the Jetstream as well, so the battery is not a problem.

finniest
Old
Thanks Meter 32

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I had removed most of the bloatware when I was using it, but the pen icon was there and I could use it just fine (before the factory reset).
Try using logcat to diagnose the problem. I suspect something will show up during boot or when you press where the pen icon should be.

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...n-issues-arise

Notontherugman
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I got the Jetstream back today.

I had managed to make a backup before using Clockwork Mod.

After the above rooting method, CWM is gone, and I can't use the backup files to restore using TWRP.

The link for CWM is gone. This is becoming extremely frustrating.

Tags
guide, jetstream, root, unlock