Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,079 Members 54,155 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Freezing on boot when data is restored

Tip us?

Fry-kun
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Freezing on boot when data is restored

So I have an Exhibit that started freezing up on the red AOIP logo with "pulse" animation..

Clearing cache/dalvik doesn't help -- phone reboots to "optimizing apps" but gets stuck on "starting apps". If power cycled, it gets stuck at AOIP logo (it's an AOIP rom)

Tried reflashing the rom (AOIP-2.0-ancora_tmo-OFFICIAL-20131006) -- same result

The internal SD card appeared to be out of space -- mounted it over USB (thanks to CWM) and cleaned it out so it's at ~60% now.. but the phone still doesn't want to boot!

Created a backup with CWM and wiped the data (after removing the ext sd card) -- phone boots up properly!
Restored from the backup -- phone doesn't boot

What else can I do?

det0xx
Old
Thanks Meter 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry-kun View Post
So I have an Exhibit that started freezing up on the red AOIP logo with "pulse" animation..

Clearing cache/dalvik doesn't help -- phone reboots to "optimizing apps" but gets stuck on "starting apps". If power cycled, it gets stuck at AOIP logo (it's an AOIP rom)

Tried reflashing the rom (AOIP-2.0-ancora_tmo-OFFICIAL-20131006) -- same result

The internal SD card appeared to be out of space -- mounted it over USB (thanks to CWM) and cleaned it out so it's at ~60% now.. but the phone still doesn't want to boot!

Created a backup with CWM and wiped the data (after removing the ext sd card) -- phone boots up properly!
Restored from the backup -- phone doesn't boot

What else can I do?
wipe both internal and exernal sd cards and do a fresh install

Fry-kun
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by det0xx View Post
wipe both internal and exernal sd cards and do a fresh install
I think it was implied that I'm able to boot after /data wipe -- but I'd like the data back!
And it's not so much the apps themselves (which can be reinstalled pretty easily) -- but the data that they saved for the user.

Oh, and it's not my phone per se

Fry-kun
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
BTW, I have adb set up on my laptop, and I'm able to get shell at the frozen boot.. just don't know what command(s) to give it since I'm not really familiar with android environment

det0xx
Old
Thanks Meter 130
Quote:
BTW, I have adb set up on my laptop, and I'm able to get shell at the frozen boot.. just don't know what command(s) to give it since I'm not really familiar with android environment
do you have your app data in a nandroid backup?

if you do install the rom freshly and download app nandroid manager. app will let you restore apps and its data through its app to your current rom

Fry-kun
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
do you have your app data in a nandroid backup?

if you do install the rom freshly and download app nandroid manager. app will let you restore apps and its data through its app to your current rom
No, it was a CWM backup... and I didn't see an option in nandroid to restore just the data or just the apps from this backup..

det0xx
Old
Thanks Meter 130
Quote:
No, it was a CWM backup... and I didn't see an option in nandroid to restore just the data or just the apps from this backup..
cwm backup is a nandroid back up...

Dvarl
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
In CWM look in advanced restore.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using xda app-developers app

Fry-kun
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
cwm backup is a nandroid back up...
After trying a few things, looks like Nandroid finally found my backup and is letting me restore things one by one.. yay