Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,937 Members 43,833 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sped up my device drastically without rooting.

Tip us?

supremekizzle
Old
(Last edited by supremekizzle; 12th March 2014 at 04:37 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Default Sped up my device drastically without rooting.

If anyone is not wanting to root, but speed up your device just do what I did.

If you go into the app drawer and click the capacitive settings button, you can select the option to uninstall/disable apps. Some of the samsung and google ones are in folders within the app drawer. By disabling trip advisor, knox, news week, various Samsung apps, etc. I sped up a lot. No custom Rom or launcher needed. I actually enjoy using this thing now.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to supremekizzle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ZebTheCalvinist
Old
Thanks Meter 116
Hmm... This is probably a dumb question, but if you can disable Knox, would you be able to avoid the issues that come along with rooting?

Have you noticed a difference in battery life?

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

Ahmedmoataz
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremekizzle View Post
If anyone is not wanting to root, but speed up your device just do what I did. If you go into the app drawer and click settings, you can disable stock apps. By disabling trip advisor, knox, news week, various Samsung apps, etc. I sped up a lot. No custom Rom or launcher needed. I actually enjoy using this thing now.
Well that's new.....nice work man
The Following User Says Thank You to Ahmedmoataz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

graewulf1
Old
Thanks Meter 13
How did you disable Knox? The option is grayed out.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

jonling
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I do not even see the stock apps. Just my stuff. What do I need to do to see them. I cannot find such an option anywhere. Thanks!

Thanks,
Jon

kkretch
Old
(Last edited by kkretch; 12th March 2014 at 04:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonling View Post
I do not even see the stock apps. Just my stuff. What do I need to do to see them. I cannot find such an option anywhere. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graewulf1 View Post
How did you disable Knox? The option is grayed out.

You open the app drawer not app manager. Knox and some of the other apps are grouped in the Samsung, Galaxy Plus and Google folders.

Once you open the app drawer touch the settings button to the left of the home button. You will then see the option uninstall/disable apps, after you click that option the apps that can be disabled or uninstalled will have a red - beside them. System apps will be disabled and non-system will be uninstalled.
If I was helpful please press the thanks button

My Devices
32GB Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition SM-P600ZKVXAR
16GB Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8013ZWYXAR
16GB Blackberry Playbook
64GB Blackberry Playbook - retired
8GB 1st Gen Kindle Fire - TWRP/AOKP Jellybean - retired
User Built PC - i5/2500K @ 4500khz - Windows 7 ultimate
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kkretch For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

supremekizzle
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkretch View Post
You open the app drawer not app manager. Knox and some of the other apps are grouped in the Samsung, Galaxy Plus and Google folders.

Once you open the app drawer touch the settings button to the left of the home button. You will then see the option uninstall/disable apps, after you click that option the apps that can be disabled or uninstalled will have a red - beside them. System apps will be disabled and non-system will be uninstalled.
This is what I did. Havent noticed a difference in battery life as this thing lasts forever as is.

DeBoX
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Noticed a slight improvement in battery life, maybe a tad less lag ...?

graewulf1
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkretch View Post

Ahh. You need to be using touchwiz to do this. I was using nova launcher and the option was not available. Now to see if they actually stay off. Business week and a few others have kept turning themselves back on without me touching them in the past.

cantfindanick
Old
Thanks Meter 10
nope, did not made any difference (at least significantto me) chrome still lags, touchwiz is still laggish