Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,114 Members 38,323 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bootloader unlocked cant install TWRP

Tip us?

quattroa430
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Default Bootloader unlocked cant install TWRP

Hello all, I tried searching but if I missed the thread please point me to it. I was able to unlock the bootloader using HTC Dev but I cant seem to install TWRP. Am I missing a step or something? I am running an HTC Evo 4G LTE on 3.17. I tried putting the PJ75IMG.zip in the root of the sd card but when restarted in the bootloader it read it and said main version is older. I tried using goomanager to download and install but that didnt work either. Am i doing something wrong here? Thanks in advance guys (and girls)!

BD619
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 7,740

DONATE TO ME
fastboot flash it PJ75IMG.zip will only work if you are S-OFF
Put the .img file in the folder you are using to run the commands from.
fastboot flash recovery nameofrecovery.img
\_(ツ)_/

Frequently Asked Questions - HTC One-M7-Sprint(m7wls) | HTC Evo 4G LTE(Jewel) | HTC One-M8-Sprint(m8_whl)
ROM Cleaner | AROMA | Remove Bloatware | Backup Apps | Install Apps/Mods
ROM Cleaner for HTC Evo 4G LTE or ROM Cleaner for HTC One
My DIY guides on how to root your HTC Evo 4G LTE | HTC One(M7)-Sprint | HTC One(M8)-Sprint

Forum Moderator
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BD619 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

quattroa430
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
OK. So fastboot is the best method. Then I can install super user correct? I dont HAVE to install a ROM if i dont want to correct? I can just run stock root? If I wanted to install a ROM would I need to be S-OFF? or could I install one while still being S-ON? It has been quite some time since I rooted a phone. Last phone was the Samsung Epic 4G. What a terrible phone. Thanks and sorry for so many questions.

BD619
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 7,740

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa430 View Post
OK. So fastboot is the best method. Then I can install super user correct? I dont HAVE to install a ROM if i dont want to correct? I can just run stock root? If I wanted to install a ROM would I need to be S-OFF? or could I install one while still being S-ON? It has been quite some time since I rooted a phone. Last phone was the Samsung Epic 4G. What a terrible phone. Thanks and sorry for so many questions.
I personally use fastboot to install twrp then when you want/need to update twrp you can fastboot flash again or use goomanager from the playstore.
You can install SuperSU and run stock rooted or flash a custom rom which has superuser added
As for flashing roms you can flash them while s-on it's just more work because you have to fastboot flash the kernel/boot.img then flash the rom.
I always recommend S-OFF as it will save you the extra steps in flahing roms and also if you mess something up you can flash an older RUU if the most current RUU is not available.
@FinZ28 has a great guide explaining how to flash the kernel/boot.img
\_(ツ)_/

Frequently Asked Questions - HTC One-M7-Sprint(m7wls) | HTC Evo 4G LTE(Jewel) | HTC One-M8-Sprint(m8_whl)
My DIY guides on how to root your HTC Evo 4G LTE | HTC One(M7)-Sprint | HTC One(M8)-Sprint

Forum Moderator
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BD619 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

quattroa430
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
OK, so now the question becomes what method for S-OFF should I use? I would like to be able to make it look like I never rooted the phone if need be if at all possible. I heard good things about rumrunner for 3.17. am i correct that this would be the best method or is there a better one? again sorry its been too long and this is my first HTC root.

BD619
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 7,740

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
OK, so now the question becomes what method for S-OFF should I use? I would like to be able to make it look like I never rooted the phone if need be if at all possible. I heard good things about rumrunner for 3.17. am i correct that this would be the best method or is there a better one? again sorry its been too long and this is my first HTC root.
Since you are on 3.17 rumrunner is the only method you can use
\_(ツ)_/

Forum Moderator
The Following User Says Thank You to BD619 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

quattroa430
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
OK so first install TWRP then SU then S-OFF? also i factory reset my phone the other day and now on some apps I have this weird menu bar at the bottom. it happens on my facebook app and bank app. it doesnt show up in Kik or play or sms apps. any ideas? i would like to remove that

BD619
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 7,740

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
OK so first install TWRP then SU then S-OFF? also i factory reset my phone the other day and now on some apps I have this weird menu bar at the bottom. it happens on my facebook app and bank app. it doesnt show up in Kik or play or sms apps. any ideas? i would like to remove that
Yes unlock your bootloader if you have not already
Install twrp
Flash SU
Then S-OFF(make sure you read all the pre-requisetes before starting rumrunner
As fo the weird menu it may disappear if you flash a custom rom
\_(ツ)_/

Forum Moderator
The Following User Says Thank You to BD619 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

quattroa430
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Ok so I came across another issue. I cant seem to get busybox to install. I would like to install cyanogenmod 10 and qbking mentions needing s-off to do so. Is that correct? It is a bit of a pain being on 3.17 but I guess there isnt much I can do. Any advice for installing busybox? Thanks again

Magnum_Enforcer
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,877

DONATE TO ME
I successfully installed Busybox on 3.17 last night. As far as having to be S-off to flash CM, no, you don't have to be, but it makes life easier. Hit the top link in my sig and read my Hboot guide if you haven't already done so.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE

The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum_Enforcer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]