5,597,501 Members 31,518 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Lower screen quality to save battery?

Tip us?

kettir
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default [Q] Lower screen quality to save battery?

I was thinking the other day, "What if I could lower my screen quality and save battery that way?" So I did some googling and found the quoted text below at http://www.droid-life.com/2013/03/29...battery-level/ . Has anyone heard of work done on this kind of thing? Note that it mentions only disabling blur and animations; what about screen quality?

"Battery life in a mobile device is very important. All your fancy specs won’t mean anything if you can’t keep it turned on more than 15 minutes, so we’re seeing companies either putting bigger batteries in their phone like Motorola’s MAXX line or trying to innovate to make batteries last longer. Seeing as how the display in a device is usually the biggest battery drain on a device, Google has just been granted a patent that allows Android to read the battery life of a phone and change the display accordingly.

In this listing, the fine print lays out the procedure of how this patent will work. Depending on the amount of battery left, the operating system will change the display to lessen the amount of power it draws by disabling blur and animations between screens. If the battery is extremely low the operating system can even lower the resolution of the display."

xSharpi
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I haven't seen or heard, probably since I never thought about it would be neat to turn down an HD screen to reserve battery. Only thing i can think of which is says the animations such as; moving through apps or landscape to portrait rotations

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk