Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,794 Members 47,061 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How do I root this phone and install CWM without softbricking?

Tip us?

DJ Scooby Doo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 142
Default [Q] How do I root this phone and install CWM without softbricking?

As I wrote on my previous question, I softbricked my phone yesterday when I installed BusyBox X and CWM recovery on my phone. I got a replacement phone and I am cautious on bricking the phone. I am trying to figure out if I did a wrong combo in installing these two things. I had this phone in the summer and I'm trying to remember from memory how this goes.

First I installed LGPwn and rooted it that way, then I installed BusyBox X and pressed the button that said install, finally I installed the L9 bootstrap recovery and rebooted. Then I proceeded to install 2 zip files, 1) Black Status Bar tweak by Mateo1111 and 2) Hide QApps also by Mateo1111. I restarted the phone and was greeted with the error of com.android.phone has stopped and encrypted/ reset phone. Did I do anything wrong? If so, please help me out!
Device(s): (Current) AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II (Unlocked), (Sold) HTC Sensation XE, (Sold) LG Optimus L9, (Sold for parts) Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989, (Sold) HTC Sensation (Unlocked), (Bricked) LG Optimus L9 (Factory Unlocked), (Traded) HTC MyTouch 4G (Unlocked)
ROM: (Note 2) Stock 4.3 (rooted), (Sensation XE) ViperS 5.1.0, (L9) Stock V20H (rooted), (Galaxy S2) Stock 4.2.1 (rooted), (Sensation) CM10.2 (4.3) with Sultan Kernel, (L9) Stock V20F (rooted), (MyTouch 4G) SyNthetic_aospX 1.0.0-MR1SG

xdrc45
Old
Thanks Meter 292
The problem you had was actually with busybox. I had the same problem after I rooted my L9. I rooted and then installed busybox and everything seemed fine, I then booted to cwm and made a nandroid backup, then after booting back to android os, I was greeted with "Encrypting - Reset Phone" To recover from this, I booted back to recovery and restored the backup and then everything was fine. When it comes to busybox the L9 is very particular. Mine wouldn't work with busybox by stericson I had to use busybox x. If you tried busybox x and had that problem you might want to try busybox by stericson and install version 1.21.0 and use smart install.
If you found my post Helpful Please click the Thank You Button!

Google Nexus 5 - Custom Rom - *Dirty Unicorns 4.4.3* - FrancoR53 - TWRP v2.7
LG Optimus L9 MS769 - *Kumakan 4.1.2* - Rooted - CWM - Locked BL
LG Motion 4G MS770 - Custom Rom - *CM 10*
HTC HD7 - WP - OS 7.8 - Custom Rom - *Deepshining* v8.1 Fully Unlocked
Samsung Admire - Custom Rom - *Open Android* v2.3.6
Huawei Ascend - M860 -Custom Rom - *CM 7.2*
Lenovo IdeaTab - A2109 - Custom Rom - *Paranoid/CM 10 Combo*
The Following User Says Thank You to xdrc45 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DJ Scooby Doo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrc45 View Post
The problem you had was actually with busybox. I had the same problem after I rooted my L9. I rooted and then installed busybox and everything seemed fine, I then booted to cwm and made a nandroid backup, then after booting back to android os, I was greeted with "Encrypting - Reset Phone" To recover from this, I booted back to recovery and restored the backup and then everything was fine. When it comes to busybox the L9 is very particular. Mine wouldn't work with busybox by stericson I had to use busybox x. If you tried busybox x and had that problem you might want to try busybox by stericson and install version 1.21.0 and use smart install.
Thanks for your reply! I did install the other version of BusyBox by Stericson and it worked flawlessly. No errors so far, and I have my phone set up the way I like it.
Device(s): (Current) AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II (Unlocked), (Sold) HTC Sensation XE, (Sold) LG Optimus L9, (Sold for parts) Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989, (Sold) HTC Sensation (Unlocked), (Bricked) LG Optimus L9 (Factory Unlocked), (Traded) HTC MyTouch 4G (Unlocked)
ROM: (Note 2) Stock 4.3 (rooted), (Sensation XE) ViperS 5.1.0, (L9) Stock V20H (rooted), (Galaxy S2) Stock 4.2.1 (rooted), (Sensation) CM10.2 (4.3) with Sultan Kernel, (L9) Stock V20F (rooted), (MyTouch 4G) SyNthetic_aospX 1.0.0-MR1SG
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Scooby Doo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xdrc45
Old
Thanks Meter 292
Awesome... Glad I could be of help.
If you found my post Helpful Please click the Thank You Button!

Google Nexus 5 - Custom Rom - *Dirty Unicorns 4.4.3* - FrancoR53 - TWRP v2.7
LG Optimus L9 MS769 - *Kumakan 4.1.2* - Rooted - CWM - Locked BL
LG Motion 4G MS770 - Custom Rom - *CM 10*
HTC HD7 - WP - OS 7.8 - Custom Rom - *Deepshining* v8.1 Fully Unlocked
Samsung Admire - Custom Rom - *Open Android* v2.3.6
Huawei Ascend - M860 -Custom Rom - *CM 7.2*
Lenovo IdeaTab - A2109 - Custom Rom - *Paranoid/CM 10 Combo*
The Following User Says Thank You to xdrc45 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]