Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,137 Members 49,495 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Verizon LG G2 GPS Fix Solution

Tip us?

cckeeler
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I have been going back and forth with Verizon and the GPS on my G2. I actually have my third replacement phone waiting for me when I get home. The last rep I spoke with said that it is a known issue that is to be fixed with an upcoming update. I would assume that update to be 4.4.2 but I haven't heard whether or not the GPS is any better in the leaked OTA. He did tell me that they have received the update from LG but it was currently being tested.

Ainvar
Old
Thanks Meter 72
The GPS issue is actually a hardware issue. There is a springy connector on the phone that tries to keep a steady connection to the anttenae strip on the battery cover. It is on the side opposite of the SIM card.

Here is a picture from another XDA thread by JTNiggle that shows the insides of the VZW LG G2.

First picture shows the battery cover and you can see the small square copper connector for the GPS antennae on the right hand side. Second picture shows on the right side of the phone above the battery the little springy copper connector for the GPS sensor on the phone. These are the two areas I used very tiny pieces of electrical tape on to make a solid connection. This has 100% resolved my issue with GPS signals and I have been sporting this change for over a week now. I get a signal lock between 3-7 seconds depending on where I am at (inside or outside) and the days weather. I have done this on a total of 4 phones now and all four phones no longer have GPS signal lock issue. Just make sure you use a non metal tool to pop the battery cover off so it doesn't scratch up the shiny silver bezel strip.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cckeeler View Post
I have been going back and forth with Verizon and the GPS on my G2. I actually have my third replacement phone waiting for me when I get home. The last rep I spoke with said that it is a known issue that is to be fixed with an upcoming update. I would assume that update to be 4.4.2 but I haven't heard whether or not the GPS is any better in the leaked OTA. He did tell me that they have received the update from LG but it was currently being tested.
I honestly don't think all the software updates in the world would fix this problem. It is a physical hardware issue that is causing the problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ainvar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

forgiven90
Old
Thanks Meter 25

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainvar View Post
The GPS issue is actually a hardware issue. There is a springy connector on the phone that tries to keep a steady connection to the anttenae strip on the battery cover. It is on the side opposite of the SIM card.

First picture shows the battery cover and you can see the small square copper connector for the GPS antennae on the right hand side. Second picture shows on the right side of the phone above the battery the little springy copper connector for the GPS sensor on the phone. These are the two areas I used very tiny pieces of electrical tape on to make a solid connection. This has 100% resolved my issue with GPS signals and I have been sporting this change for over a week now. I get a signal lock between 3-7 seconds depending on where I am at (inside or outside) and the days weather. I have done this on a total of 4 phones now and all four phones no longer have GPS signal lock issue. Just make sure you use a non metal tool to pop the battery cover off so it doesn't scratch up the shiny silver bezel strip. [COLOR="Silver"]
This is great info! Could you clarify just a little what exactly you did with the electrical tape? Like put a tiny piece "under" the flex connector? I haven't actually taken mine apart yet so maybe this would be clearer then... Also is there a chance this would help my compass? I can't seem to get it calibrated and working.

Ainvar
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgiven90 View Post
This is great info! Could you clarify just a little what exactly you did with the electrical tape? Like put a tiny piece "under" the flex connector? I haven't actually taken mine apart yet so maybe this would be clearer then... Also is there a chance this would help my compass? I can't seem to get it calibrated and working.
On the phone itself there is a small copy flex like connector. If you look on the link that shows the two images for the inside of the phone and the inside of the battery cover, you will see on the phone the tiny little flex connector I am speaking about. With gentle tender care slide some electrical tape (fold it together sticky sides in) underneath the flex connector. This will help it keep a solid connection to the antennae plate on the battery cover. I have done this on 4 phones total one of them mine. All four VZW LG G2 phones had the same issue. Depending on exactly where you were at you would get a weak lock/signal when needing to use GPS on the phone. After this was done the signal is nice and strong and locks within 3-7 seconds for me (yes I have timed it). This is both indoors and outdoors. The G2 is able to lock onto GPS just like any of my other phones in the past and also the MotoX.

I haven't had to modify the GPS.conf from stock (this never worked for me anyways as it wasn't able to acquire a signal 99% of the time). GPS just now works.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ainvar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bigsnack
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Will this also fix the issue of showing that I am like 3-4 houses away, while when I was on JB it showed me I was next door(or at least in between next door and my actual location).

forgiven90
Old
Thanks Meter 25

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainvar View Post
On the phone itself there is a small copy flex like connector. If you look on the link that shows the two images for the inside of the phone and the inside of the battery cover, you will see on the phone the tiny little flex connector I am speaking about. With gentle tender care slide some electrical tape (fold it together sticky sides in) underneath the flex connector. This will help it keep a solid connection to the antennae plate on the battery cover. I have done this on 4 phones total one of them mine. All four VZW LG G2 phones had the same issue. Depending on exactly where you were at you would get a weak lock/signal when needing to use GPS on the phone. After this was done the signal is nice and strong and locks within 3-7 seconds for me (yes I have timed it). This is both indoors and outdoors. The G2 is able to lock onto GPS just like any of my other phones in the past and also the MotoX.

I haven't had to modify the GPS.conf from stock (this never worked for me anyways as it wasn't able to acquire a signal 99% of the time). GPS just now works.
Well that was an easy mod! I cut a strip of black elec tape about 3/32" x 3/8" and doubled the end to make approx 3/32" of the end doubled. this left a short tab that I could use to manipulate the doubled part under the flex connector and then stick in place to secure it there (or remove later if desired). My GPS and compass are both very responsive and accurate now. I'm also using GPS Status and I've used an app called GPS Injector that I believe help but not as much as this mod.

Steamer86
Old
Thanks Meter 147
It must be batches, my GPS is about flawless.

Ainvar
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Well that was an easy mod! I cut a strip of black elec tape about 3/32" x 3/8" and doubled the end to make approx 3/32" of the end doubled. this left a short tab that I could use to manipulate the doubled part under the flex connector and then stick in place to secure it there (or remove later if desired). My GPS and compass are both very responsive and accurate now. I'm also using GPS Status and I've used an app called GPS Injector that I believe help but not as much as this mod.

Yep was easy, I got this idea of course from seeing that image I linked in my previous post and I saw the inside of the phone.

fsiddique
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Do you mind posting some pictures of how/where you applied the tape? Thanks!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

forgiven90
Old
Thanks Meter 25

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsiddique View Post
Do you mind posting some pictures of how/where you applied the tape? Thanks!
I would if I could, but I have plastic/vinyl tape on the back of my phone that in not ready to remove yet

Member Ainver posted a link with pix just a few posts up.

I think when you get the back off the phone it will make more sense what has been posted here also.

Good luck

Sent from Mexico with my Cloudyflex'd VS980 4G