FORUMS

Does my Dev. Edition Supports CDMA too?

554 posts
Thanks Meter: 180

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I somewhere read that htc one supports both gsm and cdma network. which mean we can insert gsm sim OR cdma sim. Both will work.
So, is it really supports both network?

Using HTC ONE DEV. EDITION in India

21st February 2014, 11:39 AM |#2  
Flag Los Angeles / Orange County, CA
Thanks Meter: 2,078

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_coolguy2006

I somewhere read that htc one supports both gsm and cdma network. which mean we can insert gsm sim OR cdma sim. Both will work.
So, is it really supports both network?

Using HTC ONE DEV. EDITION in India

CDMA networks (Sprint, Verizon) don't use SIM cards, only GSM (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.) networks do.

The Verizon and Sprint models contain both GSM and CDMA antenna hardware. If you have a CDMA device, you can get it carrier-unlocked (search the web, costs $20-30) and then activate it on another CDMA carrier, or insert an active SIM from a GSM carrier.

The GSM versions of the HTC One (AT&T, T-Mobile, International, Developer, Google Play Edition, etc) only have GSM antenna hardware. They physically do not contain the CDMA antenna. So these devices would only work on other GSM networks if carrier-unlocked.

So with your HTC One Developer Edition, it only contains GSM antenna hardware, you cannot use it on CDMA networks.

There are posts floating around suggesting to flash a different radio to "enable CDMA", but I'll tell you that flashing software cannot magically make a physical piece of hardware appear in your device.

Most of the GSM radio drivers are cross-compatible (an international radio driver will still work with AT&T and vice-versa). But the Verizon and Sprint models use specific radios for those networks.
Last edited by trjlive; 21st February 2014 at 10:14 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trjlive For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st February 2014, 03:32 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ludhiana
Thanks Meter: 180

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by trjlive

CDMA networks (Sprint, Verizon) don't use SIM cards, only GSM (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.) networks do.

The Verizon and Sprint models contain both GSM and CDMA antenna hardware. If you have a CDMA device, you can get it carrier-unlocked (search the web, costs $20-30) and then activate it on another GSM carrier, or insert an active SIM from a GSM carrier.

The GSM versions of the HTC One (AT&T, T-Mobile, International, Developer, Google Play Edition, etc) only have GSM antenna hardware. They physically do not contain the CDMA antenna. So these devices would only work on other GSM networks if carrier-unlocked.

So with your HTC One Developer Edition, it only contains GSM antenna hardware, you cannot use it on CDMA networks.

There are posts floating around suggesting to flash a different radio to "enable CDMA", but I'll tell you that flashing software cannot magically make a physical piece of hardware appear in your device.

Most of the GSM radio drivers are cross-compatible (an international radio driver will still work with AT&T and vice-versa). But the Verizon and Sprint models use specific radios for those networks.

Thanks a lot bro.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread