Post Reply

HTC One battery calibration?

OP Stefan1980

14th June 2013, 01:36 AM   |  #1  
Stefan1980's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Copenhagen
Thanks Meter: 9
 
74 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Hi everyone

I have noticed my HTC One battery calibration is way off. Is says it is fully charged, and when i pull the charger, it drips to 93%?

I have tryed a few battery calibration apps from play, but they dont seem to do anything at all.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Stefan
14th June 2013, 05:11 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 50
 
264 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Do you unplug it right after the charging light turns green?

If you wait a while before unplugging it, that might be the reason it drops so quickly.

If not, reboot the phone, charge it to 100, use it till it reaches 0, and then charge it again to 100 nonstop, not 99, to 100.

This should help your issue and should be done around once a month.

There's many people that believe lithium batteries don't need this type of conditioning, but it's worth a shot

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
14th June 2013, 07:42 AM   |  #3  
Stefan1980's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Copenhagen
Thanks Meter: 9
 
74 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
I unplug it, then it gets to 100%. But my problem is when I unplug it, it drops to 93% right away.

To fully drain a li-ion battery can damage it. But I have tried to drain it, to around 3% and the fully charge it, and that didn't help.

I'm pretty sure it's a calibration issue. But I just don't think to calibrating tools I'm using, is working properly.

Is there another way to calibrate the battery?


Sendt fra min HTC One med Tapatalk2
14th June 2013, 07:48 AM   |  #4  
housry23's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Springfield, OH
Thanks Meter: 788
 
2,748 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2009
More
It's not a calibration issue. It's a safety thing. It's built into the battery and there's not much you can do about it. There's a chip in the battery that tells it to stop taking a charge once it hits 100%. One it drops to a certain point like day 90% it'll kick back in. So, once you take it off the charger and it drops, put it back on for a few minutes and it might reach 100

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to housry23 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th June 2013, 08:48 AM   |  #5  
Stefan1980's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Copenhagen
Thanks Meter: 9
 
74 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Hmm weird. Never had that problem with my sgs 4 or sgs 3 for that matter.

Sendt fra min HTC One med Tapatalk2
14th June 2013, 09:31 AM   |  #6  
ataft's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dalian
Thanks Meter: 59
 
274 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan1980

Hmm weird. Never had that problem with my sgs 4 or sgs 3 for that matter.

Sendt fra min HTC One med Tapatalk2

Could just be that you have bad timing

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
14th June 2013, 09:40 AM   |  #7  
Stefan1980's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Copenhagen
Thanks Meter: 9
 
74 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataft

Could just be that you have bad timing

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Bad timing?

Sendt fra min HTC One med Tapatalk2
14th June 2013, 05:09 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 50
 
264 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan1980

Bad timing?

Sendt fra min HTC One med Tapatalk2

Thats why i asked if you unplug it right away. If you leave it plugged in once its fully charged, its not charging anymore. So RIGHT when the light turns green, take it off the charger, and it shouldnt drop to 93.

And you havent seen it on the S4 or S3 because they continually charge even at 100, be grateful that the HTC One has an intelligent charging chip which lets you charge it overnight without damaging the battery.

Its not a problem, its a good thing..
Last edited by Bhavpreet; 14th June 2013 at 05:22 PM.
14th June 2013, 07:28 PM   |  #9  
Stefan1980's Avatar
OP Member
Flag Copenhagen
Thanks Meter: 9
 
74 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhavpreet

Thats why i asked if you unplug it right away. If you leave it plugged in once its fully charged, its not charging anymore. So RIGHT when the light turns green, take it off the charger, and it shouldnt drop to 93.

And you havent seen it on the S4 or S3 because they continually charge even at 100, be grateful that the HTC One has an intelligent charging chip which lets you charge it overnight without damaging the battery.

Its not a problem, its a good thing..

I have tryed taking it off the charger right after it shows that itīs fully charged, and it somehow still drops to 93%

I have owned sgs1, sgs2, sgs3 and sgs4. And I have never had any problems with the battery getting damaged because of overcharging, it stops charging at 100%, like it should be.

It shouldn't stop at 93%?. To me that's not a good thing at all. And that I have to remember to unplug it, and plug in the charger again to get the last 7% on the battery, ain't a good thing either.

Sendt fra min HTC One med Tapatalk2
Last edited by Stefan1980; 14th June 2013 at 07:41 PM.
14th June 2013, 07:55 PM   |  #10  
ataft's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dalian
Thanks Meter: 59
 
274 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan1980

I have tryed taking it off the charger right after it shows that itīs fully charged, and it somehow still drops to 93%

I have owned sgs1, sgs2, sgs3 and sgs4. And I have never had any problems with the battery getting damaged because of overcharging, it stops charging at 100%, like it should be.

It shouldn't stop at 93%?. To me that's not a good thing at all. And that I have to remember to unplug it, and plug in the charger again to get the last 7% on the battery, ain't a good thing either.

Sendt fra min HTC One med Tapatalk2

My earlier comment about bad timing, what it meant was that maybe you have just been unlucky and have pulled the phone off when it was no longer near 100. Bad timing.

I haven't charged my phone to 100 for a while, so I can't really report on the behaviour of my phone, but the battery in the phone is fairly advanced compared to the average battery. I would expect that it may even have some life-extension features that removable batteries lack. These features, not problems, will be trying to limit stress to your battery ie. trying to keep the battery away from "100%". But if you continue to have problems getting it close to 100, maybe the calibration really is off.

I would discharge all the way until the phone shuts off. You say you haven't done that because you don't want to damage the battery, but "0%" isn't actually 0%. You will stress the battery, like you would by charging to "100%", but you won't damage it. Really that is the one clear option I see that is left in regards to your question.

Or... Don't charge your phone so high. The battery is good enough to last on less than "100%". Your battery will like you for it. It'll extend it's lifetime.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
Last edited by ataft; 14th June 2013 at 07:58 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes