Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,635 Members 52,943 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to root HTC Desire 606w (600) from China?

Tip us?

Dunrob
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy How to root HTC Desire 606w (600) from China?

Hello everybody,

It looks like the HTC Desire 600 in China called HTC Desire 606w isn't very populair on xda. I bought mine in China and so i have the 606w. What i did not know before i bought the fone was that it has nog google play market. I tried everything:

Unlocked bootloader via HTC website
Installed various Google play .apk's
Installed framework and other services required for the playstore.
I got it finally working, but it keeps saying error no connection. So look looked this error up and it looks like you need to clear your host file, which is a systemfile and you need rootpermission to change is.

So i tried to root my Desire 606wwith superoneclick and all other programs which can be found on the internet, but all with no luck.

Can somebody please help me. All i want is the Google play store and to be able to download and install some apps instead of the Chinese crap.

I'm willing to pay for the one with the golden tip or the one who can give me root acces!

fshek
Old
(Last edited by fshek; 7th July 2013 at 01:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
If you just wanna install google services, no root is needed.

Uninstall all the google apk previously installed
Go to HTC market (HTC商城), find GMS Installer (GMS 安裝器)...
Run the GMS installer, follow the step and the entire google services will be installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunrob View Post
Hello everybody,

It looks like the HTC Desire 600 in China called HTC Desire 606w isn't very populair on xda. I bought mine in China and so i have the 606w. What i did not know before i bought the fone was that it has nog google play market. I tried everything:

Unlocked bootloader via HTC website
Installed various Google play .apk's
Installed framework and other services required for the playstore.
I got it finally working, but it keeps saying error no connection. So look looked this error up and it looks like you need to clear your host file, which is a systemfile and you need rootpermission to change is.

So i tried to root my Desire 606wwith superoneclick and all other programs which can be found on the internet, but all with no luck.

Can somebody please help me. All i want is the Google play store and to be able to download and install some apps instead of the Chinese crap.

I'm willing to pay for the one with the golden tip or the one who can give me root acces!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fshek For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TTLucian
Old
(Last edited by TTLucian; 10th July 2013 at 07:06 PM.)
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshek View Post
If you just wanna install google services, no root is needed.

Uninstall all the google apk previously installed
Go to HTC market (HTC商城), find GMS Installer (GMS 安裝器)...
Run the GMS installer, follow the step and the entire google services will be installed.
Thanks for the tip. I got google apps installed and working with a little tweaking (because I get an error when trying to mount the internal storage in recovery and I had to copy the zip onto an external SD). However, I really want to root this phone. Do you have any idea how to get it done? Superoneclick doesn't work. I've searched the net but all pages are in chinese but I don't speak chinese and google translate doesn't help at all.
Thanks!

Nevermind! I just rooted! Just flashed SuperSU zip from here: http://download.chainfire.eu/333/SuperSU/ and voila! The phone is rooted.
The Following User Says Thank You to TTLucian For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hmskrecik
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTLucian View Post
Nevermind! I just rooted! Just flashed SuperSU zip from here: http://download.chainfire.eu/333/SuperSU/ and voila! The phone is rooted.
Excuse me stupid question but how did you flash this update? I have this phone too and I too would like to root it.

TTLucian
Old
(Last edited by TTLucian; 11th July 2013 at 08:44 PM.)
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmskrecik View Post
Excuse me stupid question but how did you flash this update? I have this phone too and I too would like to root it.
Don't worry, It's not a stupid question. Mine came with bootloader unlocked and with custom recovery installed so flashing SU was not an issue.
However if your phone is bootloader locked and doesn't have custom recovery, you'll have to unlock it via HTCdev website (you have to create an account and you'll find detailed instructions there). Next, you'll have to install custom recovery. I found one on a Russian forum (using google translate) You can download the archive from here recovery_PhilZ_by_SPaWn.img. Instructions are (translated with google from russian site):

1. Download the fully working CWM Recovery 6.0.3.1 touch version - recovery.img (Also place aromafm.zip in clockworkmod folder on sd card it you want Aroma recovery filemanager).
2. Turn off the phone and remove the battery.
3. Insert the battery and then hold the volume button "-" + Power button on and wait until you see the menu.
4. In the menu that appears, select the volume keys and confirm the selection by pressing the switch, FASBOOT.
5. Connect the cable to your computer and install the driver, download the HTC Sync , when you install the latest drivers are put.
6. Download the ADB from here and extract it to a folder d :/ android
7. We go to the command prompt "cmd" (in Administrator mode) and in the window that appears enter the following order:
Code:
d:
cd d :/ android
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
8. We wait until sew (almost instantly) should all be error free.
9. Select the volume keys point POWER DOWN and confirm the selection by pressing the power.
10. We take out the battery and insert ee in place.
11. Hold the volume button "-" + Power button on and wait until you see the menu.
12. Select the item and confirm selection RECOVERY power button.
13. That's all for this CWM Recovery installation has completed, click thanks

After this, you just flash SU with no problems. If you want busybox, then flash this. It contains SU and latest BusyBox.

HOWEVER. The phone still needs SuperCID and S-OFF to be fully NAND unlocked. Until we do this, the ROM can only be permanently modified via recovery. Any modifications done in Android system are lost upon reboot. I've found nothing on how to do this with this phone. If anyone has a solution on how to achieve SuperCID and S-OFF on this phone, please share with us!

Also, I received 2 OTA updates and I can't install them because of an error regarding the following 2 files:
/system/framework/com.google.widevine.software.drm.jar
/system/framework/com.google.widevine.software.drm.odex.
My guess it that they were modified by the retailer and OTA checks this. If anyone has these from the original (chinese) firmware, could you please share them?! I would really appreciate it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TTLucian For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hmskrecik
Old
(Last edited by hmskrecik; 12th July 2013 at 01:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for fast reply. Mine phone came with bootloader unlocked (fastboot) but when I try to boot into recovery I end up with the triangle on the screen and some Chinese characters. So in a nutshell my question boiled down to "where do I get proper recovery image from".

Thanks again and I'll check how it works for me tomorrow. And also I'll try to extract those files for you so stay tuned.

Edit: I'm still yet to try this recovery flashing but here please find attached those missing files.

Edit2: Yes, it's finally rooted. Though the recovery couldn't mount the internal storage and I don't yet have and SD card inside. Fortunately the sideload function worked.

Regarding S-OFF, I've read somewhere that 606w is called HTC One's little brother. If this relationship is on low enough level, then maybe tools used to unlock the latter could be used with the former?
Attached Files
File Type: zip drm.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.5 KB, 550 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to hmskrecik For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fshek
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Another stupid question. I got a 606w in China 3 weeks ago. I like the phone very much but does not like all the China Unicom pre-installed apps.
I know that there is Hong Kong version Desire 606 out 2 weeks ago which I believe not much rubbish apps on it. Anyone knows how to flash Desire 600 Hong Kong ROM onto a 606w?

hmskrecik
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshek View Post
Another stupid question. I got a 606w in China 3 weeks ago. I like the phone very much but does not like all the China Unicom pre-installed apps.
I know that there is Hong Kong version Desire 606 out 2 weeks ago which I believe not much rubbish apps on it. Anyone knows how to flash Desire 600 Hong Kong ROM onto a 606w?
I got my phone from Hong Kong, I believe, and it does have China Unicom crapware on board. But like yours it has been shipped about 3 weeks ago. If there is 'cleaner' ROM I would be interested too.

SPSPaWn
Old
Thanks Meter 90

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmskrecik View Post
I do thank you, SPSPaWn. Without your CWM image I wouldn't be able to root my phone.
Speaking of, I note you published stuff for HTC Desire 600, mine phone is 606w. CWM worked *BUT* it couldn't mount neither internal storage nor external SD card. Since sideload works it was not a problem but I think those two phones may be slightly incompatible. I would be cautions when trying to load whole images.
try this https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6WB...5jdElWOUk/edit
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SPSPaWn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hmskrecik
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPSPaWn View Post
Sorry, still can't. I know very little about Android architecture but when in root shell I issue "fdisk -l" I see gadzillion partitions. Maybe it's different mapping on those two phones.