Post Reply

Exclamation Can't properly restore a nandroid backup HELP!!!

OP Nazgulled

13th June 2013, 05:07 PM   |  #1  
Nazgulled's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 77
 
545 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Donate to Me
More
Hi,

I'm trying to restore a nandroid backup I did with TWRP 2.3.3.0 but I'm not being successful and it's bothering me because now I have an unstable system and didn't really wanted to reinstall everything from scratch...

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong but after restoring the backup and rebooting the phone, I can boot but MOST of my apps are not "installed". Shortcuts I had on the home screen are there with their respective icons, I click on them and I get "Applications is not installed". I also get a notification saying that phone storage is running low, and it is hitting the 2GB limit, but it never was like this before, I had lots of of free space for apps. Looking at the nandroid backup, it seems I have data.ext4.win000 and data.ext4.win001 both with around 1.5GB, which goes above the 2GB limit. Not sure if this means anything...

Why isn't this backup working and what can I do to attempt to solve it?

Any other info I can give you so you can better try and help me, just let me know what you need to know...
13th June 2013, 05:19 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 133
 
495 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Wrong section..

Hmm full wipe before restore??

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
13th June 2013, 05:22 PM   |  #3  
Nazgulled's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 77
 
545 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by basti2909

Hmm full wipe before restore??

Already tried that...
13th June 2013, 05:44 PM   |  #4  
Nazgulled's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 77
 
545 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Donate to Me
More
I updated to TWRP 2.5.0.0 and now I get "restore failed"... :'(

There's no way to get around this is there?
13th June 2013, 06:07 PM   |  #5  
exocetdj's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag HELPING THE PEOPLE WHO PUT THE EFFORT IN (i.e reading and searching)
Thanks Meter: 2,244
 
3,281 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
Donate to Me
More
not sure if your recovery is corrupt, maybe worth making a titanium backup of apps and system data, flashing a new rom and then restoring via titanium?
13th June 2013, 09:40 PM   |  #6  
Nazgulled's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 77
 
545 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by exocetdj

not sure if your recovery is corrupt, maybe worth making a titanium backup of apps and system data, flashing a new rom and then restoring via titanium?

Can I make a titanium backup out of the nandroid backup? Cause that's all I have right now, my current ROM is not even working properly... I'll have completely reinstall a new ROM.
13th June 2013, 09:44 PM   |  #7  
One-M8-Master's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hannover
Thanks Meter: 2,518
 
7,146 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgulled

Can I make a titanium backup out of the nandroid backup? Cause that's all I have right now, my current ROM is not even working properly... I'll have completely reinstall a new ROM.

what do you mean titanium backup out of the nandroid? normally the data backup should be there too...to be sure i always make tit backup's for my apps...
13th June 2013, 10:18 PM   |  #8  
Nazgulled's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 77
 
545 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by One-X-master

what do you mean titanium backup out of the nandroid? normally the data backup should be there too...to be sure i always make tit backup's for my apps...

The only backup I have is a Nandroid backup and nothing else. I don't even have a running/working ROM at the moment.
13th June 2013, 10:40 PM   |  #9  
One-M8-Master's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hannover
Thanks Meter: 2,518
 
7,146 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgulled

The only backup I have is a Nandroid backup and nothing else. I don't even have a running/working ROM at the moment.

Normally the nandroid backup should also save the data which means the apps and their data, hm.....due that it isn't working you have to install from beginning

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X mit Tapatalk 2
14th June 2013, 12:12 AM   |  #10  
Shan89's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,347
 
3,711 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgulled

Hi,

I'm trying to restore a nandroid backup I did with TWRP 2.3.3.0 but I'm not being successful and it's bothering me because now I have an unstable system and didn't really wanted to reinstall everything from scratch...

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong but after restoring the backup and rebooting the phone, I can boot but MOST of my apps are not "installed". Shortcuts I had on the home screen are there with their respective icons, I click on them and I get "Applications is not installed". I also get a notification saying that phone storage is running low, and it is hitting the 2GB limit, but it never was like this before, I had lots of of free space for apps. Looking at the nandroid backup, it seems I have data.ext4.win000 and data.ext4.win001 both with around 1.5GB, which goes above the 2GB limit. Not sure if this means anything...

Why isn't this backup working and what can I do to attempt to solve it?

Any other info I can give you so you can better try and help me, just let me know what you need to know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgulled

I updated to TWRP 2.5.0.0 and now I get "restore failed"... :'(

There's no way to get around this is there?

It's your fault cuz the app data is not being restored , 1stly when you made the backup with TWPR you should've selected to backup the CACHE , you skipped that step since by default TWPR skips that step = no apps data anymore, tho there are shortcuts and in manage all apps you can see those apps installed but with grey collor like when being removed from lets say rom cleaner , theres still the APP IMAGE but not the app it'self , you could try this:

1. Flash old recovery ( the one you used to make the back up 2.3 or which ever you used ) . full wipe , restore nand backup ( don't forget to flash the boot.img in the bootloader if you used different kernel in that time or flash the modules via recovery for the kernel you use atm )

after you boot up re-download those apps that are there with shortcuts but not apps itself and hope for the saves from those apps to be there.

Next time if you don't wanna risk it you titanium back up and save the apps that matter to you , when restoring them back : download the app , go to titanium and restore only the DATA.

or simply check in TWPR when making nand backup to save the CACHE as well in the backup.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shan89 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes