Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,457 Members 41,498 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How many more updates do you think we will get on this phone?

Tip us?
 
monkey hung
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 54
Posts: 676
Join Date: Mar 2011
Default How many more updates do you think we will get on this phone?

There should be around 2 this year. Would we get that and one next year?
 
XmentalX
Old
#2  
XmentalX's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 168
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bay Area
If it's anything like the Galaxy s3 we will get plenty it's slated to get kit kat even

Sent from my massive Note 3 using Tapatalk.
Goodbye Sprint on 2/1/12 - Hello T-Mobile!
 
Compusmurf
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 192
Posts: 1,009
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Better question is how many will tmobile approve?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
__________________
Current Phone: TMobile Galaxy Note III
ROM: Rooted "stock" NF1 kitkat
Current Tablet: Nexus 7 (Rooted stock)/Microsoft Surface Pro 2
 
hasbrobot
Old
#4  
hasbrobot's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 116
Posts: 562
Join Date: May 2010
Gauging on the fact the note 2 has been announced to get kitkat. I would assume it's safe to say we'll get 4.5 or whatever the next tier will be. Anything beyond that could be speculation.

posted while using my note 3
 
Eric214
Old
(Last edited by Eric214; 22nd February 2014 at 03:09 AM.)
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 118
Posts: 548
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philly
like up to 3 major updates at least. This phone has the specs that will make it a top phone for well over a year. I mean the newest phones are still coming out with just 2gb of ram (maybe the S5 will have 3gb) and the CPU at 2.3mhz will be a beast for a long time. Then look at the S3 now confirmed getting 4.4 KK so it's easy to see 3 major updates for this phone and maybe more.
Current Phone

T-Mobile 32GB - Rooted Wicked v5 (TWRP 2.6.3.8)

Current Tablet
Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB 2014 Edition

Retired Phones
Galaxy S4 (VZW MDK) sold to pay for my Note 3
Droid Bionic - Traded for Note 3
Droid X - Now a WiFi phone.
 
Limeybastard
Old
#6  
Limeybastard's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 61
Posts: 699
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hung View Post
There should be around 2 this year. Would we get that and one next year?

One at the most.
The Following User Says Thank You to Limeybastard For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
XxLostSoulxX
Old
(Last edited by XxLostSoulxX; 23rd February 2014 at 04:02 AM.)
#7  
XxLostSoulxX's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 435
Posts: 3,741
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ft. Worth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric214 View Post
like up to 3 major updates at least. This phone has the specs that will make it a top phone for well over a year. I mean the newest phones are still coming out with just 2gb of ram (maybe the S5 will have 3gb) and the CPU at 2.3mhz will be a beast for a long time. Then look at the S3 now confirmed getting 4.4 KK so it's easy to see 3 major updates for this phone and maybe more.
2.3mhz woooo that's fast man.
How about 2.3GHz lol.

I never look at it as official updates, because our devs will continue to bring support for the newest OS to our device. For instance the Samsung epic 4G keyboard started on Eclair(2.1) and still has JB on it from the dev support.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app
RIP Tori Dean Crawford 2/26/93 - 06/04/12 Great Friend Who Will Forever Be Missed

Samsung Epic 4G:
Cyanogen Mod 7.2 @ 1.8 GHz
Cyanogen Mod 10 @ 1.0 GHz
Samsung Nexus S 4G:
Cyanogen Mod 10 ~ Matr1x @ 1.0GHz
AOKP MS 6 ~ Air @ 1.47GHz
Samsung Galaxy N2:
Stock @ 1.9GHz
LG Nexus 4:
Stock @ 1.83GHz
Samsung Galaxy Note 3:
Stock @ 3.0GHz
 
Eric214
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 118
Posts: 548
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philly
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLostSoulxX View Post
2.3mhz woooo that's fast man.
How about 2.3GHz lol.

I never look at it as official updates, because our deva will continue to bring support for the newest OS to our device. For instance the Samsung epic 4G keyboard started on Eclair(2.1) and still has JB on it from the dev support.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app
lol yeah it's called a typo. Anyway I'm talking about official updates not ported ROMs
Current Phone

T-Mobile 32GB - Rooted Wicked v5 (TWRP 2.6.3.8)

Current Tablet
Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB 2014 Edition

Retired Phones
Galaxy S4 (VZW MDK) sold to pay for my Note 3
Droid Bionic - Traded for Note 3
Droid X - Now a WiFi phone.
 
XxLostSoulxX
Old
#9  
XxLostSoulxX's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 435
Posts: 3,741
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ft. Worth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric214 View Post
lol yeah it's called a typo. Anyway I'm talking about official updates not ported ROMs
I'm not talking about ported roms and yes if you read my post you'd notice i said that. As far as Official your're looking at 3 Max they only support the phone for 2 years and then ditch support. But most XDA users don't care for Official support as our dev's have more time to just our device specific and are able to support the phone much better and give us a better overall user experience.

Ever heard of AOSP? AOKP? Source Code? Building From The Ground Up? Lol.

We all know that regardless if its Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony, Etc... They take forever because they're not maintaining one phone and that's all. they are bigger companies with several products and several things to be pre-occupied and more geared and focused on.
RIP Tori Dean Crawford 2/26/93 - 06/04/12 Great Friend Who Will Forever Be Missed

Samsung Epic 4G:
Cyanogen Mod 7.2 @ 1.8 GHz
Cyanogen Mod 10 @ 1.0 GHz
Samsung Nexus S 4G:
Cyanogen Mod 10 ~ Matr1x @ 1.0GHz
AOKP MS 6 ~ Air @ 1.47GHz
Samsung Galaxy N2:
Stock @ 1.9GHz
LG Nexus 4:
Stock @ 1.83GHz
Samsung Galaxy Note 3:
Stock @ 3.0GHz
 
Eric214
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 118
Posts: 548
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philly
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLostSoulxX View Post
I'm not talking about ported roms and yes if you read my post you'd notice i said that. As far as Official your're looking at 3 Max they only support the phone for 2 years and then ditch support. But most XDA users don't care for Official support as our dev's have more time to just our device specific and are able to support the phone much better and give us a better overall user experience.

Ever heard of AOSP? AOKP? Source Code? Building From The Ground Up? Lol.

We all know that regardless if its Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony, Etc... They take forever because they're not maintaining one phone and that's all. they are bigger companies with several products and several things to be pre-occupied and more geared and focused on.
Of course I have, but the guy asked about updates, so i was talking about from Tmo which like I said most likely 3 updates. I used to run CM/Aosp on my Bionic but I got tired of minimalist ROMs with vanilla/bland UI personally. Especially CM. When they went commercial and became Cyanogen Inc. and basically stole from a lot of developers I don't care to use there ROMs anymore. Plus I kinda like a stripped down TW at this point.
Current Phone

T-Mobile 32GB - Rooted Wicked v5 (TWRP 2.6.3.8)

Current Tablet
Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB 2014 Edition

Retired Phones
Galaxy S4 (VZW MDK) sold to pay for my Note 3
Droid Bionic - Traded for Note 3
Droid X - Now a WiFi phone.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes