5,593,458 Members 36,514 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to backup your modem.

Tip us?

dapaua
Old
(Last edited by dapaua; 26th September 2013 at 11:42 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 239

DONATE TO ME
Default How to backup your modem.

There is a modem for the optimus G here:
http://downloads.codefi.re/houstonn/...E975_E977_E976
but it is from firmware 10b. You may want to try if it works better than your firmware. In this case, it is better if you make a backup of your current modem firmware, so you can go back to your version. Here I will write instructions to backup your modem, so you can restore it if you need.

Probably some of you know this already and feel like these are old news, but maybe we can build a modem firmware library.

You need root and a way to make an adb connection to your phone. If you cannot use adb, you can always use a terminal emulator on your phone, but this makes it a bit harder to type the commands. Also, this is for people who understand what they are doing. If after reading the tutorial you don't understand what the commands do, please don't try it. Or at least don't make me responsible if your phone bricks. Here we go.

NON NEEDED STEPS: This steps are here to show why this works.
1-Connect to your phone by adb.
2- On the terminal type :
Code:
mount
You'll see the following (amongst other things):
Code:
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modem /firmware vfat ro,context=u:object_r:radio_efs_file:s0,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0337,dmask=0227,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro 0 0
This means that the partition containing the firmware is /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modem and it is mounted at /firmware.

NEEDED STEPS
1- Connect by adb
2- On the terminal type
Code:
su
Check if confirmation is needed on the phone screen. If needed, accept.
3-
On the terminal type:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modem of=/sdcard/modem.img
4-You will receive the following after some seconds:
Code:
131072+0 records in
131072+0 records out
67108864 bytes transferred in 29.959 secs (2240023 bytes/sec)
5-Type
Code:
exit
exit
adb pull /sdcard/modem.img
6-Now you have your backup.

HOW TO PACK THIS BACKUP FOR FLASH:
1-Download the file: cwm-lgog_e975-europe-10b_modem.zip from http://downloads.codefi.re/houstonn/...E975_E977_E976
2-Open the zip file and replace the existing modem.img with your file
3-Rename the file to something meaningful, like cwm-lgog_e975-europe-10f_modem.zip

After these steps, you should be able to flash any modem, knowing that you can go back to your old version.
You can upload the packed files here, so we can have a library. I will upload the modem from european 10f version here. I tested it and it works correctly, but I won't take any responsibility for what you do with this file.
Good luck.

All this info is obtained from examining the houstonn LGOG modem flasher from team codefire, so all thanks go to them. Thanks.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dapaua For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MitoTakatori
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Very nice tutorial man. It will help newbies like me to back up and restore our modem.img, especially those who have F180* phones that wants or being converted to E975. Nice job.
Genius.

DEVICE: Optimus Genius - F180K
ROM: KK 4.4.x

OTHER DEVICE:
Nokia X7 - MiG CFW 3.3

kimitza
Old
Thanks Meter 571

DONATE TO ME
Nice,i'll add this to the Freaking Annoying Questions.

Sent from Asylum via LG E975/smart phones,dumb people.

Smart phones, dumb people!!!
Freaking Annoying Questions (aka FAQ)- LG Optimus G(Intl)
MOD STOCK ROM WITH XPOSED FRAMEWORK
I don't offer support via PM. At least,not for free. Time=money.

renatonolo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Nice job.. Its work in e977 with 10a firmware?

Thx.

Sent from my LG-E975 using xda app-developers app

dapaua
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 239

DONATE TO ME
You should be able to backup your e977 modem following this tutorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatonolo View Post
Nice job.. Its work in e977 with 10a firmware?

Thx.

Sent from my LG-E975 using xda app-developers app

sonty
Old
Thanks Meter 40
could you please do the same thing for the misc partition and upload it somewhere?
I saw that freegee is touching this one so please mention if your phone was opened with freegee.

dapaua
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 239

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonty View Post
could you please do the same thing for the misc partition and upload it somewhere?
I saw that freegee is touching this one so please mention if your phone was opened with freegee.
I am sorry, I am not going to upload my misc partition, as this partition contains my IMEI.
I can, however, tell you how to backup it:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc of=/sdcard/misc.img
Can I ask why you need that?

sonty
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapaua View Post
I am sorry, I am not going to upload my misc partition, as this partition contains my IMEI.
Can I ask why you need that?
I had no idea the IMEI is also there. I asked for it because the baseband version is also stored there and it's kind of odd to know I'm flashing the modem from EU-10f and the displayed version is TW-10a. I'm still hoping to solve that issue.

dapaua
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 239

DONATE TO ME
Ah, OK. Tomorrow I'll check if the misc partition can be mounted, this would make editing it much easier.

jumper8
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapaua View Post
Ah, OK. Tomorrow I'll check if the misc partition can be mounted, this would make editing it much easier.
I think it is not possible to mount the misc partition.

“In any case, the misc partition isn't a "filesystem" partition as you are familiar with. It is actually just a simple data structure. In fact, only the system, cache, and userdata partitions are actually filesystem partitions, and the cache partition is only a filesystem partition part of the time -- during radio and spl updates, it also is used as a simple data structure with a header field and a payload field...”

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...25&postcount=3

I was trying to find some additional info about this structure but without success so far.

On may F180K the misc partition has 16 777 216 Bytes. Some interesting offset:
0x8000 – 0x800E IMEI (15Bytes)
0x8800 – 0x8824 Baseband version (37Bytes)
0x9000 – 0x9024 Baseband version (37Bytes)

CyanogenMod display the last one data on the Settings->About phone->Baseband version

The Following User Says Thank You to jumper8 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]