Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,657 Members 43,439 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

When to flash recovery?

Tip us?
 
jo15765
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 205
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default When to flash recovery?

I found this site on how to root my Touchpad:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1390829

and this one on how to install CM onto it:

http://chrisbryson.blogspot.com/2013...-touchpad.html

But nothing mentions when/how to install CWM (or one of the ones listed below) as shown on the CM nightly page found below
-PhilZ Clockworkmod 6.0.4.7 (non-touch)(will backup and restore in both cwm and twrp format)
-Milaq's ClockworkMod 6.0.5.4
-Flintman's TWRP

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2592909

At what place would I flash the Recovery?
 
chris5s
Old
#2  
chris5s's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 119
Posts: 1,105
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
To install android you will create a folder on the touchpad called cminstall.
This folder contains the three files needed to install android - moboot, cwm and whichever version of android you prefer. Optionally you can flash gapps from this folder too.
There are much better tutorials on the web and this site than the ones you quote - the first is irrelevant to installng android, and there are better ones here on xda than the second.
Also the recoveries you mention are for installing kitkat which requires repartitioning of the file system. Prob best to stick to JB for now

Cheers
Lumia 820 - stock
HP Touchpad 16/32GB - webOS/Android
Xiaomi 1S
 
jo15765
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 205
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris5s View Post
To install android you will create a folder on the touchpad called cminstall.
This folder contains the three files needed to install android - moboot, cwm and whichever version of android you prefer. Optionally you can flash gapps from this folder too.
There are much better tutorials on the web and this site than the ones you quote - the first is irrelevant to installng android, and there are better ones here on xda than the second.
Also the recoveries you mention are for installing kitkat which requires repartitioning of the file system. Prob best to stick to JB for now

Cheers
I found a tutorial here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2147284

But when I attempt to extract the Acme Installer - I downloaded ACMEInstaller5M - but when I try to extract with 7Zip to the Nova Directory it keeps giving me an error?
 
chris5s
Old
#4  
chris5s's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 119
Posts: 1,105
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
You don't need to extract the acmeinstaller file, just place it in Program Files/Palm, Inc, open up a terminal window and enter in the command to run it.

Of course, you do this after you have set up your cminstall folder on the touchpad.

A word of advice - I find it useful to have 2 copies of the rom you want to flash - one in the cminstall folder, and one in the root folder of the touchpad. This is because sometimes the flashing process with acme can be a bit funny, and it automatically deletes the files in cminstall once its done. I've flashed a couple of touchpads with acme and Android hasn't installed properly, so having a backup somewhere else on the touchpad is useful.

Cheers
Lumia 820 - stock
HP Touchpad 16/32GB - webOS/Android
Xiaomi 1S
 
sstar
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 441
Posts: 1,254
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo15765 View Post
I found a tutorial here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2147284

But when I attempt to extract the Acme Installer - I downloaded ACMEInstaller5M - but when I try to extract with 7Zip to the Nova Directory it keeps giving me an error?
It's been awhile since I have had to use acme but I believe it is a jar file so either use a different browser to download or change the file extension from (.zip to .jar).
Unfortunately I am not at my PC but can check later if someone else is unable to confirm this.
 
chris5s
Old
#6  
chris5s's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 119
Posts: 1,105
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstar View Post
It's been awhile since I have had to use acme but I believe it is a jar file so either use a different browser to download or change the file extension from (.zip to .jar).
Unfortunately I am not at my PC but can check later if someone else is unable to confirm this.
Its not a .jar or .zip, use as is...

Cheers
Lumia 820 - stock
HP Touchpad 16/32GB - webOS/Android
Xiaomi 1S
The Following User Says Thank You to chris5s For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes