XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Quick question about upgrading with Sprint

Tip us?

Starzboy77
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Quick question about upgrading with Sprint

So I've been with Sprint for years. Currently have a unlimited data family plan with 2 lines and like 1000 or 1500 minutes and also get a 25% discount as my girlfriend who has the other line used to work at a company that gave us the discount.

I upgraded my EVO 4G to an EVO LTE 2 years ago at Best Buy and had no problem keeping my same plan with the discount by signing a new 2 year contract.

Question is will I be able to do the same if I upgrade through Best Buy or maybe another place? I don't want to be transferred to their new plans, lose my discount, or pay monthly for a new phone. Would rather pay the $200 or whatever upfront. Please provide me with as many details regarding this as possibe and thanks in advance.

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

tommy_riley
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starzboy77 View Post
So I've been with Sprint for years. Currently have a unlimited data family plan with 2 lines and like 1000 or 1500 minutes and also get a 25% discount as my girlfriend who has the other line used to work at a company that gave us the discount.

I upgraded my EVO 4G to an EVO LTE 2 years ago at Best Buy and had no problem keeping my same plan with the discount by signing a new 2 year contract.

Question is will I be able to do the same if I upgrade through Best Buy or maybe another place? I don't want to be transferred to their new plans, lose my discount, or pay monthly for a new phone. Would rather pay the $200 or whatever upfront. Please provide me with as many details regarding this as possibe and thanks in advance.

you can keep your same plans, however they will do a check to see if you are still eligible for the employer discount. They will request to send an email to the @domain.com of the place she worked, and then click on the link in the email sent, to re-verify for the discount. If she has a friend still working at the company she have the email sent to them, they can forward it to her and she can simply click on the link. There is no other association or follow up to verify for the discount. I have not worked for MSFT for years but still get my discount because I have a few friends with @Microsoft.com email addresses that I can have sprint send the work discount email confirmation to. They may talk up new plans to you, but you can politely refuse and tell them you want to stick with the same plan.

Starzboy77
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thank you for the reply. She worked at a daycare and never had an email account so not sure how we can do that but do I have to go through Best Buy or could I go somewhere else? Even a Sprint store to keep my current plan and pay for the new phone upfront after the discount?

tommy_riley
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starzboy77 View Post
Thank you for the reply. She worked at a daycare and never had an email account so not sure how we can do that but do I have to go through Best Buy or could I go somewhere else? Even a Sprint store to keep my current plan and pay for the new phone upfront after the discount?

in that case, they might need a form filled out or something - I was assuming a larger corporation, my bad.

you should be able to go anywhere - sprint store, best buy, amazon.com, etc. but you may need to talk to a real person to do the keep the same plan. I have never purchased a phone online from a place like wirefly or amazon yet. Perhaps someone else could chime in on how that works.

Evolution_Freak
Old
Thanks Meter 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_riley View Post
in that case, they might need a form filled out or something - I was assuming a larger corporation, my bad.

you should be able to go anywhere - sprint store, best buy, amazon.com, etc. but you may need to talk to a real person to do the keep the same plan. I have never purchased a phone online from a place like wirefly or amazon yet. Perhaps someone else could chime in on how that works.
I purchased my upgrade from Amazon and was never pressured to change my plan. I could have kept it if I wanted to. I did change to the new "my way" plan however because for my two lines, it was $20 cheaper than my old unlimited data plan which was similar to the OP's.

Sent from my EVO using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

scottspa74
Old
(Last edited by scottspa74; 22nd March 2014 at 07:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2644
@op I've been leaning on sprint and tmo the last few days, asking questions, as I'm thinking of finally switching to tmo. That said, if you go to a sprint store , they have the pay monthly plans they're being pushed to sell by corporate. I, too, would prefer to pay a few hundred up front and be done with it....screw increasing my monthly expenses. If you buy online, you don't pay monthly and you keep your plan. Rep told me that even if igo to best buy or target or something, they still have the normal upgrade with contract and without changing plans. They have N5 and HTC One each for only 100, no monthly payment and no plan change.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Evo LTE=$XXX.XX ~ XDADevs = PRICELESS
------
Evo LTE. AKA "the beast" . Thanks regaw_lienad, you're a genius.
ROM: AOKP
Kernel: komodo v7
Hboot: lazy panda S-off 1.12.222

Evo 4G HW002
Rom: Deck GB
Kernel: SZ 0.savaged zen21
Recovery: AmonRa 1.80

- thanks whitslack & fastRX8 & Netarchy & Toast, of course. - my Evo: the house that toast built (& many other XDAers)- thank you all

SimianJones
Old
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Default Sprint Discount Program

You can always go to this address and see you are available for a discount either through your own employer or your girlfriend's current employer.

http://mysprint.sprint.com/verify/?ECID=vanity:verify

Sprint offers a lot of discounts to a lot of companies, especially entities like public universities or state employees.
If you just want to see if your company or some association gets a discount, go here:
http://now.sprint.com/save/?ECID=vanity:save
<|== BTC
HEY! Grad student here! Feel free to donate BTC 1PhJTYcZDiQJUfmvquuTRPP1FKCXZ2wr2h

[App Request] Replicate HTC Car as APK for LG G2 (and everyone else) <-- please

MFOsaka
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimianJones View Post
You can always go to this address and see you are available for a discount either through your own employer or your girlfriend's current employer.

http://mysprint.sprint.com/verify/?ECID=vanity:verify

Sprint offers a lot of discounts to a lot of companies, especially entities like public universities or state employees.
If you just want to see if your company or some association gets a discount, go here:
http://now.sprint.com/save/?ECID=vanity:save
The only issue with the discount is that if they approve it, part of the clause is another two year contract...as well as that with the new Framily Plan styled contract, the discount is only applied to the data costs of the phone, not the entire plan cost. *smh about that*

So with say a 20% discount and it only being applied to an unlimited plan, you'd save maybe $4-6 a month.

SimianJones
Old
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
Yeah, but the OP was talking about upgrading and maintaining his current plan, not switching to Framily.

Framily plans may be marginally less expensive than a Family Share plan, but they don't subsidize the cost of upgrade hardware. For about the same cost of a Framily plan over 2 years you can have the standard family plan, discounts net about $20 off instead of 5, and phone upgrades are subsidized. I think he's on the right track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFOsaka View Post
The only issue with the discount is that if they approve it, part of the clause is another two year contract...as well as that with the new Framily Plan styled contract, the discount is only applied to the data costs of the phone, not the entire plan cost. *smh about that*

So with say a 20% discount and it only being applied to an unlimited plan, you'd save maybe $4-6 a month.
<|== BTC
HEY! Grad student here! Feel free to donate BTC 1PhJTYcZDiQJUfmvquuTRPP1FKCXZ2wr2h

[App Request] Replicate HTC Car as APK for LG G2 (and everyone else) <-- please