XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] S-Note page widget gone

Tip us?

bigillz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Default [Q] S-Note page widget gone

On my Note 2, S-Note had widgets you could create for individual note pages - I believe they were large by default (4x3 maybe?) but with Nova you could resize they and they'd display the whole content of that page - tapping them would open S-Note to that page ready to write. --- and it was -only- the note itself comprising the widget - no border, no menus, no overlaid titles. So if you had a black background and created a note with an all-black background, it would blend in perfectly and just show your writing overlaid on your homescreen.

This was extremely valuable to me. On the Note 3, with the revamped S-Note, there's only one widget option and it's a tabbed overview of all notes/most recent notes. Lots of border crap, wasted space, view of the notebooks, etc. It sucks.

Anyone have a replacement widget to emulate the old one??

johntuck77
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
not sure if this is what you want but the app "sweet Notes" can do something like that

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Personal Quote:
I flash so many roms that my phone thinks I am an exhibitionist !

If you like what I say hit the thanks button

aresinuae
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I know exactly what you are talking about and it is also the biggest thing I loved in my Note 8. I am also wondering why they removed that feature. I hope there is a way to bring it back.

bigillz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresinuae View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about and it is also the biggest thing I loved in my Note 8. I am also wondering why they removed that feature. I hope there is a way to bring it back.
I haven't found anything to help. I'll mail Samsung and may go back to the S Notes version from the Note 2, I have a Titanium backup of it. Hopefully that would work.

nicholi2789
Old
Thanks Meter 144
Yeah i too noticed the absence of that widget. I really liked it and used it alot on my s4 and s3. If someone figures out a way to bring it back I would like to know as well.
Verizon HTC One (M8)>S-OFF>Root >TWRPv2.7.0.2>insecure kernel>SanDisk 64gb ext SD
NEXUS 7 (2012)>MultiRom21b>CM11>SlimKat

"For what have you really accomplished when you have bested a fool?"
"It is a huge mistake to theorize before one has data. Inevitably, one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."

Verizon Galaxy S4 (SOLD) Verizon Galaxy S3 (SOLD) Verizon Galaxy NEXUS (SOLD)

JVogler
Old
Thanks Meter 72
This is the first thing I noticed, and is now part of a very long list of things my Note 2 did much better than my Note 3. I wish it wasn't so popular for companies to constantly change/update things that are steps backwards. Updates should just add new features, not change for the sake of changing.

The closest thing I can find to emulate this missing feature is to take a screenshot of your S-Note page, then add that to your homescreen as a "picture" widget. It's a hassle and doesn't scale as intuitively as the old version of S-Note though.

Note 3 -- Tapatalk

balliet
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This has bothered me as well, but now I found that you can long-press the folder of the note and choose the option to "add shortcut to home" and then you have direct access to the note via the created icon. You can rename the note's folder first if you choose to do so. Put the icon whereever you choose. Works for me.

JVogler
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by balliet View Post
This has bothered me as well, but now I found that you can long-press the folder of the note and choose the option to "add shortcut to home" and then you have direct access to the note via the created icon. You can rename the note's folder first if you choose to do so. Put the icon whereever you choose. Works for me.
This is just adding an icon, completely different than a versatile, re-sizable, widget containing a scalable image of the note itself.

Note 3 -- Tapatalk

bigillz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVogler View Post
This is just adding an icon, completely different than a versatile, re-sizable, widget containing a scalable image of the note itself.

Note 3 -- Tapatalk
I tried restoring old S Note from my Note 2 backups and things broke, so no go on that front - at least just a basic restore didn't work. I didn't dig deeper, but I'm guessing there are various other dependent libraries that have been updated.

I did find an old S Memo flashable zip I had used on the 2, which is what S Note used to be. I might give that a try - I don't recall if it comes with the page widget.

JVogler
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigillz View Post
I tried restoring old S Note from my Note 2 backups and things broke, so no go on that front - at least just a basic restore didn't work. I didn't dig deeper, but I'm guessing there are various other dependent libraries that have been updated.

I did find an old S Memo flashable zip I had used on the 2, which is what S Note used to be. I might give that a try - I don't recall if it comes with the page widget.
At&t screwed me over, and locked up the Note 3 bootloader pretty tight. Interested if the S Memo works for you though, as I'm sure someone will crack the At&t version soon as the bounty is getting pretty high.

Note 3 -- Tapatalk