Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,460 Members 40,279 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] TWRP loop, unable to restore or flash anything

Tip us?
 
roshane
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default [Q] TWRP loop, unable to restore or flash anything

I've searched the forums and haven't found a solution to my problem. I have rooted S4 MK2 and wanted to put Gummy ROM on it, only finding out after I had installed TWRP that this wouldn't be possible. No big deal, but now, I can't get away from the stupid downloading screen for TWRP. No longer do I get the screen before it warning about tinkering with your operating system, and once it's stuck on the screen, getting the phone to boot properly sometimes takes a while, and a lot of foul language. I've tried several things to bypass/delete/overwrite TWRP, to no avail. ODIN doesn't work for me, tried several versions, ROM Manager and CWM doesn't work, when I try to boot into CWM mode it goes to downloading screen of TWRP. I finally gave up, decided to nuke it from space and do a factory reset... which took me straight to the damnedable downloading screen! This tells me I will probably be unable to update or use any ASOP ROMs that I might run into, because once on the downloading screen, nothing works, the phone isn't recognized by my computer, two different versions of ODIN failed to get its attention, unable to to load .pit or .tar files... I'm at wits end folks, and haven't found a solution in any other threads on xda, or the net in general, any help and suggestions would be much appreciated. I've not used ADB before, but if need be, I'll learn if there's a fix going that route.
 
riker147
Old
(Last edited by riker147; 24th February 2014 at 02:19 AM.)
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 266
Posts: 896
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshane View Post
I've searched the forums and haven't found a solution to my problem. I have rooted S4 MK2 and wanted to put Gummy ROM on it, only finding out after I had installed TWRP that this wouldn't be possible. No big deal, but now, I can't get away from the stupid downloading screen for TWRP. No longer do I get the screen before it warning about tinkering with your operating system, and once it's stuck on the screen, getting the phone to boot properly sometimes takes a while, and a lot of foul language. I've tried several things to bypass/delete/overwrite TWRP, to no avail. ODIN doesn't work for me, tried several versions, ROM Manager and CWM doesn't work, when I try to boot into CWM mode it goes to downloading screen of TWRP. I finally gave up, decided to nuke it from space and do a factory reset... which took me straight to the damnedable downloading screen! This tells me I will probably be unable to update or use any ASOP ROMs that I might run into, because once on the downloading screen, nothing works, the phone isn't recognized by my computer, two different versions of ODIN failed to get its attention, unable to to load .pit or .tar files... I'm at wits end folks, and haven't found a solution in any other threads on xda, or the net in general, any help and suggestions would be much appreciated. I've not used ADB before, but if need be, I'll learn if there's a fix going that route.
Does Odin "see" your phone? If so, what build are you trying to install?

I know the damage is done, but a little reading before hand would have let you know that with MK2 you can't install a custom recovery. Only Safestrap works with compatible Touchwiz 4.3 Roms

Edit: Maybe this thread will help. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2578209

Edit #2: My apologies. Just re-read your post and I see you said, more than once, that Odin isn't seeing your phone. I'm afraid I won't be any help. Good luck.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
Reading Is Fundamental
 
roshane
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Feb 2014
Odin sees the phone, but fails at all attempts to install anything. .pit, .tar etc. I originally wanted to install Gummy but now I know that won't ever work, then I just tried to install stock .tar file and it also fails.
 
decaturbob
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 769
Posts: 2,258
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Decatur
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshane View Post
I've searched the forums and haven't found a solution to my problem. I have rooted S4 MK2 and wanted to put Gummy ROM on it, only finding out after I had installed TWRP that this wouldn't be possible. No big deal, but now, I can't get away from the stupid downloading screen for TWRP. No longer do I get the screen before it warning about tinkering with your operating system, and once it's stuck on the screen, getting the phone to boot properly sometimes takes a while, and a lot of foul language. I've tried several things to bypass/delete/overwrite TWRP, to no avail. ODIN doesn't work for me, tried several versions, ROM Manager and CWM doesn't work, when I try to boot into CWM mode it goes to downloading screen of TWRP. I finally gave up, decided to nuke it from space and do a factory reset... which took me straight to the damnedable downloading screen! This tells me I will probably be unable to update or use any ASOP ROMs that I might run into, because once on the downloading screen, nothing works, the phone isn't recognized by my computer, two different versions of ODIN failed to get its attention, unable to to load .pit or .tar files... I'm at wits end folks, and haven't found a solution in any other threads on xda, or the net in general, any help and suggestions would be much appreciated. I've not used ADB before, but if need be, I'll learn if there's a fix going that route.
If you had taken 5 minutes of time to research...you wouldn't have bricked your phone...Countless threads on this very thing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
S4 powered by hashcode 3.72 safestrap and Echo V26 kitkat
 
riker147
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 266
Posts: 896
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshane View Post
Odin sees the phone, but fails at all attempts to install anything. .pit, .tar etc. I originally wanted to install Gummy but now I know that won't ever work, then I just tried to install stock .tar file and it also fails.
What exactly are you trying to install with Odin?
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
Reading Is Fundamental
 
roshane
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Feb 2014
no bricking, just, let's say a small pebble.
 
roshane
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by riker147 View Post
What exactly are you trying to install with Odin?
My most recent attempt was SCH-I545.pit, didn't work... I also tried Philz_Touch, gummy, and one other ROM which, of course didn't work, now I know why the roms didn't, but no sure why the .pit file won't work. All I really want to do now is remove all traces of TWRP. My phone isn't bricked, totally usable, it just won't be able to be updated or customized until I get rid of TWRP
 
riker147
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 266
Posts: 896
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshane View Post
My most recent attempt was SCH-I545.pit, didn't work... I also tried Philz_Touch, gummy, and one other ROM which, of course didn't work, now I know why the roms didn't, but no sure why the .pit file won't work. All I really want to do now is remove all traces of TWRP. My phone isn't bricked, totally usable, it just won't be able to be updated or customized until I get rid of TWRP
It looks to me like your only option is to Odin back to stock MK2. Did you check out the link I gave you in my first post?
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
Reading Is Fundamental
The Following User Says Thank You to riker147 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
roshane
Old
#9  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by riker147 View Post
It looks to me like your only option is to Odin back to stock MK2. Did you check out the link I gave you in my first post?
I'm reading over it now, considering doing the full wipe. Now that I know custom ROMS are going to be limited to ASOP I don't mind going stock and unrooted. I really appreciate your help
 
riker147
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 266
Posts: 896
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshane View Post
I'm reading over it now, considering doing the full wipe. Now that I know custom ROMS are going to be limited to ASOP I don't mind going stock and unrooted. I really appreciate your help
If you get it straightened out I would recommend reading this thread after. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2606501

Let me know how you make out. Good luck.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
Reading Is Fundamental

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes