Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,868 Members 42,873 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Control 4G/3G/2G by app?

Tip us?

mmead1143
Old
(Last edited by mmead1143; 20th February 2014 at 07:09 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Control 4G/3G/2G by app?

Hi all - I'm on the cheap Tmobile plan (500 mg/month) but I really don't need 4G that much. Ideally I'd like 4G to only run when in the web browser, youtube, etc - when I really need fast speed.

If I'm in google music, facebook, reading email, etc - I really don't need FAST speeds - 3G is more than fine.

Anyway to set up 3G as the normal radio, then auto-toggle to 4G when specific apps open?

Ideally I'd only like to use the fast 4G when needed, like downloading videos, youtube, etc.

diamond12
Old
Thanks Meter 51
I don't remember if you need to have your phone unlocked for the menu to be enabled but it's under System settings -> Tethering & networks -> Mobile networks -> Network mode.

You can also run the *#*#INFO#*#* code -> Phone information.

You may want to check with T-Mobile if switching to GSM mode will stop you from using up your 4G allowance (if that's what you're trying to do). I've seen no indication to that.

Re-reading your post, there is no 3G mode anymore, since they upgraded 3G to 3.5G which they call 4G. So your choices are either GSM (2G), WCDMA (4G) or LTE.

dallashigh
Old
Thanks Meter 40
All data usage counts against your quota, even 2G. Your phone is not going to use more data simply being on LTE. The proper way to manage data usage is to disable auto-sync and turn off mobile data entirely as much as possible.

corrsea
Old
Thanks Meter 607
Xposed framework and intelli3g module

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

*Omnipresent*
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmead1143 View Post
Hi all - I'm on the cheap Tmobile plan (500 mg/month) but I really don't need 4G that much. Ideally I'd like 4G to only run when in the web browser, youtube, etc - when I really need fast speed.

If I'm in google music, facebook, reading email, etc - I really don't need FAST speeds - 3G is more than fine.

Anyway to set up 3G as the normal radio, then auto-toggle to 4G when specific apps open?

Ideally I'd only like to use the fast 4G when needed, like downloading videos, youtube, etc.
I use (2g-3g on/off) widget from the playstore. It places a widget/shortcut on your home screen, that takes you to a settings screen that allows you to toggle between 2g, 4g, and lte. Works great on my T-Mobile G2.
LG G2
Nokia N900 - sold
T-mobile G2x - sold
LG Optimus G - sold
Samsung Galaxy Note I717 - sold
HTC Advantage X7501 - sold
Dell Streak EU O2 unlocked - sold
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8000- sold
Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 SM-P905 LTE

Click for knowledge

bachera
Old
Thanks Meter 358
tasker, how dunno but look into it

Bwangster12
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachera View Post
tasker, how dunno but look into it
I think if you install the Secure Settings plugin you can use Tasker to automate it.

Doesn't GravityBox have the smart radio option? I didn't have much luck with it at first, but seems to be better now.

mmead1143
Old
(Last edited by mmead1143; 23rd February 2014 at 01:53 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
All data usage counts against your quota, even 2G. Your phone is not going to use more data simply being on LTE. The proper way to manage data usage is to disable auto-sync and turn off mobile data entirely as much as possible.
Okay so for Tmobile, no matter how I get the first 500mg of data (3G,2G, etc.)- that's when the 4G shuts off? I thought I might be able to "save" 4G until I really needed to use it.

dallashigh
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmead1143 View Post
Okay so for Tmobile, no matter how I get the first 500mg of data (3G,2G, etc.)- that's when the 4G shuts off?
That's correct. Also, 4G doesn't really shut off. You will still be on LTE or HSPA+ when available, but the speed will be limited. The system doesn't actually kick you off 3G/4G it just reduces your speed.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

mmead1143
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
That's correct. Also, 4G doesn't really shut off. You will still be on LTE or HSPA+ when available, but the speed will be limited. The system doesn't actually kick you off 3G/4G it just reduces your speed.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
Okay that makes sense - so I'll still be on 4g (orlando) but just throttled at 128k or less. kk thanks