Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,395 Members 47,037 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Frequently Asked Questions - Samsung Galaxy Players

Tip us?

zaclimon
Old
(Last edited by zaclimon; 18th May 2013 at 04:43 AM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2490

DONATE TO ME
Default Frequently Asked Questions - Samsung Galaxy Players

Frequently Asked Questions
Samsung Galaxy Players

This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.

Q1: I would like to know what's inside my device?
Please check here for your device's specifications:

The Samsung Galaxy Players/S Wifi (All Variants) All-In-One Thread
Q2: Where can I find the USB drivers for my device without installing Kies?
Here you will find them: Samsung USB Drivers
Q3: What is root?
To access root in Linux means that you have full administrative rights over your device and achieve things that you could never do before if you haven't done so. It can be pretty risky if you don't know what are you doing so be warned!!

But remember this: When you aren't root, you are the user of the device. When you're rooted, you are the owner of it.
Q4: How do I root my SGP?
The prefered method is using Odin or heimdall to flash an insecure kernel or a custom rom which will enable root for you. You should find them in the android development section.
Q5: Ok that's cool but i'm kinda new here and I don't know how to use those programs?
Here's a link to help you
How to use heimdall and odin
Q6: What is a custom recovery?
A custom recovery is mostly the native android recovery modified from the source to feature multiple options like backup a whole ROM or flashing a rom for example. The most known one and the only one available for our devices is the ClockWorkmod Recovery or commonly called CWM.
Q7: How can I get CWM?
Flash a custom kernel with CWM support.

Q8: Where I can find a list of ROMS and kernels?
Here you can find them all:

The Samsung Galaxy Players (All variants) All-In-One Thread
Q9: How can I OC my device?
See Q7 for answer
Q10: I have bricked my device pleaseee heeeeeeeeelppppppp meeeee!!!
Check a Recovery thread made for your device
Q11: I would like to flash CyanogenMod but I've lost my Efs? (for 4.0 users)
Please check at the end of this post:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...75&postcount=2
Q12: What is ADB?
Please see this thread for all ADB information:

Full ADB guide
Q13: What the heck is the cat on a log?
Well logcat isn't a cat on a log. It's a system element from android used to record the system logs. This is the most efficient way of squashing bugs when developpers are facing problems. To use logcat, you will need ADB. See Q10 for setting ADB.

This is how you can see logcat
Code:
adb logcat
This is how you can save a logcat into your computer

Code:
adb logcat -d > logcat.txt
Q14: What are custom ROMS?
Custom roms are modified software made in order to offer more features and options. There's 2 types of custom roms: the stock based ones and AOSP ones

Stock: They are based from the manufacturer's original firmware.
AOSP: They are compiled from the android source and provides a pure stock experience if the manufacturer have an interface overlay. They often offer much more and unique options than stock roms. (like Cyanogenmod, AOKP, or ParanoidAndroid for example)
Q15: Nice! how can I flash those ROMS??
Normaly the roms threads should have the necessary instructions in order to flash them.
Q16: Why I can see my cell standby percentage when my device is a PMP?
Well... Android is first and most a mobile phone, tablet OS and not a PMP OS. The OS think you're a phone and then use cell standby but don't worry, there's no battery life extracted from there.
Q17: What is the best kernel/ROM?
There's not really best kernels and roms. Just try them out and see which one you prefer.
This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.
A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to zaclimon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zaclimon
Old
Thanks Meter 2490

DONATE TO ME
Reserved.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zaclimon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zaclimon
Old
Thanks Meter 2490

DONATE TO ME
Reserved again.

zaclimon
Old
Thanks Meter 2490

DONATE TO ME
One last time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zaclimon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

goldflame09
Old
(Last edited by goldflame09; 5th March 2013 at 12:56 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1187

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Frequently Asked Questions - Samsung Galaxy Players

Reserved

Sent from my YP-G1 running ParanoidAndroid v1.6 (ICS)

My Devices:

Galaxy Player: [KK-4.4]
Nexus 7 (2013) [JB-4.3]
G2

zaclimon
Old
Thanks Meter 2490

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: Frequently Asked Questions - Samsung Galaxy Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldflame09 View Post
Shall this be my reserved just in case?

Sent from my YP-G1 running ParanoidAndroid v1.6 (ICS)
Why not. More is better than less.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Jistropy
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Well written, deserves to be pinned.
Samsung Galaxy 5 WiFi -- ( CyanogenMod 10 | Mercurius Kernel | XDA )

If I help you, please give me a "Thanks".

droid_noob21
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Batter life

So now that i understand that the cell by is nothing to worry about, but because its a software issue the batter% shows it drains rapidly. What do we do when it says we only have 10% left? charge it? because that would be daily, or will it keep running?

Thanks

Mevordel
Old
Thanks Meter 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by droid_noob21 View Post
So now that i understand that the cell by is nothing to worry about, but because its a software issue the batter% shows it drains rapidly. What do we do when it says we only have 10% left? charge it? because that would be daily, or will it keep running?

Thanks
There's a big difference between determining what programs are using a certain percentage of the battery (it's based on CPU time and network use), and how much total battery has been used (based on voltages). I would say the total battery percentage left is mostly accurate, but it's not quite (see attached screenshot) (at least it could be tweaked a bit). But I still recommend you to charge it at 10% to ensure future battery capacity. If you drain it too much, it will wear down -- in the screenshot, I had accidentally left it on for a week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-03-04-17-07-54.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	1798643  
LG Nexus 5 (Omni 4.4 / Franco.kernel) | Galaxy Player 5.0 (CM10.2 M1)
NOGAPPS -- HoloGlass -- NexusLouder | Chip v1.5 (XXKPL)
I only use free/libre/open-source software (except DriveDroid; it's that awesome)

N0Karma
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Galaxy 5.8 information

Howdy, I'm a long time lurker on the forums; have a rooted Samsung Galaxy S (AT&T) from several years ago and recently nabbed a new gadget on a business trip to Korea. I got a Samsung Galaxy Player 5.8 for $220 and thought it should be relatively simple to root. I was wrong.

Can we add information about the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.8?

Model: YP-GP1
Android: 4.0.4
Kernel: 3.0.8-1168015 se.infra@SEP-69 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 7 20:57:12 KST 2012
Build#: IMM76D.GP1KRALL1

FM Radio: Works in Korea; not so much anywhere else. It finds stations during search but only plays static. (Tried Spirit UL its not happy either. It reports that it cannot access the FM tuner. Maybe it needs root?)
TV Tuner: Same as the FM Radio // Frequency differences?

Storage: 16 GB (expandable with sdcard slot)
Screen: 960 px x 540 px / Capacitive / Multi-touch
Network: 802.11g,b,n
GPS
Bluetooth (can't tell what version, the manual is Korean; I assume its BT3.0)

Battery life is good, runs for a few days on a single charge with power saving enabled.
Haven't used it for any really fun stuff as I can't seem to get root on it. All the ICS 4.0.4 rooting methods on this site have failed.

Going to look at the kernel source from Samsung and see if I can make heads or tails of it.