Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

help me root/rom

OP leftkidney

29th January 2014, 12:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
116 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
I have broken my htc one I got from my brother so I am back to using the sgs4 I have, never planed to use the htc one for so long it just happens that way because of the speakers I used it to play music at work anyways I am going to use the sgs4 and root/rom it

I have rooted/romed in the past with my sgs1 using cm9 and used odin so I understand most thigns

not sure what info is useless here since I have been out of this for a while now, I actually posted about this same topic a while ago but then I got a htc one and with my ADD I forgot about this


Code:
Android 4.3

Software L720VPUEMK2

Hardware: L720.08

Baseband L720VPUEMK2

Kernel 3.4.0-1927016 se.infra@R0301-10#1 Sat Nov 16 11:05:09 KST 2013

Build JSS15J.L720VPUEMK2

SELinux Status: Enforcing SEPF_SPH-L720_4.3_0012

I assume I have to root first and then go from there - or can I just odin and have everything I need? I hate using odin so I want to use that as little as I can

do I have to odin since I have everything updated stock?

basically I am asking what do I have to do now, I have been reading for a few hours now and I have been out of this scene for a while now and its hard to get the answers by reading everything since there is lots of stuff not related to what I want and people have been doing this for a while and the phone has been out for a while now so its hard not being in this from the beginning

thanks for your help
The Following User Says Thank You to leftkidney For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th January 2014, 03:03 PM   |  #2  
bgibs1's Avatar
Member
Flag Zebulon
Thanks Meter: 19
 
58 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney

I have broken my htc one I got from my brother so I am back to using the sgs4 I have, never planed to use the htc one for so long it just happens that way because of the speakers I used it to play music at work anyways I am going to use the sgs4 and root/rom it

I have rooted/romed in the past with my sgs1 using cm9 and used odin so I understand most thigns

not sure what info is useless here since I have been out of this for a while now, I actually posted about this same topic a while ago but then I got a htc one and with my ADD I forgot about this


Code:
Android 4.3

Software L720VPUEMK2

Hardware: L720.08

Baseband L720VPUEMK2

Kernel 3.4.0-1927016 se.infra@R0301-10#1 Sat Nov 16 11:05:09 KST 2013

Build JSS15J.L720VPUEMK2

SELinux Status: Enforcing SEPF_SPH-L720_4.3_0012

I assume I have to root first and then go from there - or can I just odin and have everything I need? I hate using odin so I want to use that as little as I can

do I have to odin since I have everything updated stock?

basically I am asking what do I have to do now, I have been reading for a few hours now and I have been out of this scene for a while now and its hard to get the answers by reading everything since there is lots of stuff not related to what I want and people have been doing this for a while and the phone has been out for a while now so its hard not being in this from the beginning

thanks for your help

Start here.... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2291827
29th January 2014, 05:11 PM   |  #3  
cruise350's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Memphis, TN
Thanks Meter: 605
 
1,892 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2007
More
Safe Root works great for our phone. Here is the link: http://www.droidviews.com/root-veriz...d-4-3-vruemk2/ . I know, it takes you off of xda, but you can root your phone with out using odin. It is quick and easy. You can then install a twrp through goo manager. No need to use odin for that. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to cruise350 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th January 2014, 12:36 AM   |  #4  
btoddweber's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Knoxville
Thanks Meter: 1,784
 
2,460 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
More
I used CF Auto root. Its awesome.
Then I used ROM manager from the market to flash in CWM.
In my reading I saw most.the recoveries being used were Philz and TWRP.
So after I let ROM manager flash CWM I DL.the latest Philz zip and flashed it from recovery.
Made many a nandroid and jump from TW to AOSP every day. *****The one thing you need to know is....have SE Linux checked under misc nandroid settings****otherwise it's no fun.

If you say "Please" be sure to "Hit Thanks!!!"
The Following User Says Thank You to btoddweber For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th January 2014, 12:50 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
116 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoddweber

I used CF Auto root. Its awesome.
Then I used ROM manager from the market to flash in CWM.
In my reading I saw most.the recoveries being used were Philz and TWRP.
So after I let ROM manager flash CWM I DL.the latest Philz zip and flashed it from recovery.
Made many a nandroid and jump from TW to AOSP every day. *****The one thing you need to know is....have SE Linux checked under misc nandroid settings****otherwise it's no fun.

If you say "Please" be sure to "Hit Thanks!!!"

so I have used cf auto root and installed cwm the rommanager that worked pretty well

I will assume that installing roms is the same as before after this

I am glad to see that things have been simplified here I will post back if I have problems again

I am wondering what is the best rom for me, I dont really care much if I have the touchwiz I used midnightrom and CM9 on my sgs1 epic before and loved it the lack of touchwiz wasnt a problem for me - I dont like any of the samsung apps at all and never want to use the sprint apps, I would not like it if the widgets go away I use those for my btc prices and my mining rig hashrate

I could use a stock rom for this phone if all the crappy sprint apps have been removed

like I said I have been out of this game for a while and at the time CM9 was just about the best rom out so I used that, all the others were good just didnt have as many features
Last edited by leftkidney; 30th January 2014 at 01:07 PM.
30th January 2014, 04:54 PM   |  #6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 11
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney

I am wondering what is the best rom for me

Everyone has their own preferences, so you just need to look at what's available. The great thing about Android is that there are so many options, but that creates a fair amount of work too. With root you can delete whatever app you want, so bloatware isn't much of an issue. To see what apps are safe to remove, most ROM developers post what they remove. You can also freeze the apps using things like Titanium Backup, so that you can easily restore them if you decide you want something back.
31st January 2014, 11:09 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
116 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody291

Everyone has their own preferences, so you just need to look at what's available. The great thing about Android is that there are so many options, but that creates a fair amount of work too. With root you can delete whatever app you want, so bloatware isn't much of an issue. To see what apps are safe to remove, most ROM developers post what they remove. You can also freeze the apps using things like Titanium Backup, so that you can easily restore them if you decide you want something back.

yea I know there are lots of roms, what are some of the most stable roms out - I can see that the cyanogenmod is only nightly builds nothing stable is that a problem, I havent seen CM in this forums on the first few pages so is it not one of the better ones anymore?

what are a few of the most stable roms that have most of the features that would be needed - nothing that has strange glitches like in the past there were problems with GPS working and a few other things
31st January 2014, 07:11 PM   |  #8  
leaderbuilder's Avatar
Senior Member
Somewhere in the dark and wet Northwest.
Thanks Meter: 1,253
 
2,291 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney

yea I know there are lots of roms, what are some of the most stable roms out - I can see that the cyanogenmod is only nightly builds nothing stable is that a problem, I havent seen CM in this forums on the first few pages so is it not one of the better ones anymore?

what are a few of the most stable roms that have most of the features that would be needed - nothing that has strange glitches like in the past there were problems with GPS working and a few other things

What you are asking for is HERE in these forums. PLEASE do your own searching and research for these answers This particular question "..Best ROM" is one of the biggest no no's across all XDA.
Search, READ, experiment and you will find what suites you.
Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to leaderbuilder For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st February 2014, 03:21 AM   |  #9  
CyberpodS2's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag NE Pennsylvania Boonies
Thanks Meter: 418
 
1,198 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
I am going to skirt the "best rom" issue and just drop a list of what has been good for me... If you try all of these you'll certainly find one that works for you. I have intentionally mixed up the order here to avoid hurting anyone's feelings.. LOL


http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2521870

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2588745

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2512983

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2312063



Take a weekend and try them all. Make backups of each as you go through them and your all set!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyberpodS2 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st February 2014, 09:17 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
116 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaderbuilder

What you are asking for is HERE in these forums. PLEASE do your own searching and research for these answers This particular question "..Best ROM" is one of the biggest no no's across all XDA.
Search, READ, experiment and you will find what suites you.
Good luck.

you are absolutely right I dont know why I even asked that "best rom" it was stupid I admit it I feel stupid about that one I dont want to say I mistyped but I wasnt thinking I totally understand the reason why its a bad question to ask and why there isnt a real answer so I am sorry and I do know its one of those things you dont ask I have read that in the past but I forgot or something


what I ment to say was mainly what roms are the most complete in the sense that they have all the things working that should be like gps/wifi/4g/lte things like that, in the past a few roms were missing things like that

are there any that certain apps wont work for? I use and rely on "no led" app I just love the way it shows the colored icons on screen
Last edited by leftkidney; 1st February 2014 at 09:20 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes