Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,386 Members 38,685 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Looking for advice

Tip us?

Trigger911
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Looking for advice

Hello People of XDA,

I am wanting some advice for my tablet (TF300t). I want to make an NV backup and duel boot this device with Ubuntu or Arch. I have already unlocked the bootloader and I was looking at backing up my NV Items. To add I have not installed any recovery I was looking at TWRP as it seems to be more stable on the Transformer than CWM. I am currently running10.6.1.8 firmware ( I bought it with this pre-installed) and androidroot.mobi says it requires 10.6.1.15.3 I have downloaded this version of the rom and unzipped put it on the flash and went to the settings and tried to update but its failed a few times and I have also downloaded it a couple of times. Also I was wondering about the boot loader and 3rd party roms. I have been reading but this device is a little harder for me to understand due to the complicated nature of what I want out of it.

Thanks for reading and any advice.

f69m
Old
Thanks Meter 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger911 View Post
Hello People of XDA,

I am wanting some advice for my tablet (TF300t). I want to make an NV backup and duel boot this device with Ubuntu or Arch. I have already unlocked the bootloader and I was looking at backing up my NV Items. To add I have not installed any recovery I was looking at TWRP as it seems to be more stable on the Transformer than CWM. I am currently running10.6.1.8 firmware ( I bought it with this pre-installed) and androidroot.mobi says it requires 10.6.1.15.3 I have downloaded this version of the rom and unzipped put it on the flash and went to the settings and tried to update but its failed a few times and I have also downloaded it a couple of times. Also I was wondering about the boot loader and 3rd party roms. I have been reading but this device is a little harder for me to understand due to the complicated nature of what I want out of it.

Thanks for reading and any advice.
As you are upgrading, I suggest to use the latest version 10.6.1.27.5. It works fine for the nvflash tools. Though there seem to be little (or no?) changes between bootloaders 10.6.1.15.3 and 10.6.1.27.5, the latest version is what most ROM developers use for development and testing.

When you unzip the Asus ROM twice, you find a file named "blob". Flash that using fastboot:
fastboot flash system blob
For more detailed instructions, check the sticky guides in the general section.

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to f69m For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Trigger911
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Thank you very much kind Sir, So I shouldn't use the built in OTA updater right? I heard it re-locks some devices boot loaders. Also to duel boot I have noticed you have to install a custom boot loader and I don't want to loose my booting from the newer releases. I think I am going to go on my 4th read-a-bout as a few of the minor details do not much much sense to me. But thanks for the blob update I did try that but not from fastboot thank you for pointing out my error figured it was something stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by f69m View Post
As you are upgrading, I suggest to use the latest version 10.6.1.27.5. It works fine for the nvflash tools. Though there seem to be little (or no?) changes between bootloaders 10.6.1.15.3 and 10.6.1.27.5, the latest version is what most ROM developers use for development and testing.

When you unzip the Asus ROM twice, you find a file named "blob". Flash that using fastboot:
fastboot flash system blob
For more detailed instructions, check the sticky guides in the general section.

f69m
Old
Thanks Meter 402
Quote:
Thank you very much kind Sir, So I shouldn't use the built in OTA updater right? I heard it re-locks some devices boot loaders. Also to duel boot I have noticed you have to install a custom boot loader and I don't want to loose my booting from the newer releases. I think I am going to go on my 4th read-a-bout as a few of the minor details do not much much sense to me. But thanks for the blob update I did try that but not from fastboot thank you for pointing out my error figured it was something stupid
Never used that OTA mechanism myself. Using fastboot or flashing the ZIP (unzipped once) using recovery seems so much more natural to me.
For dual-boot have a look at my MultiROM thread, though Linux support is not there yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to f69m For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ApexM
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
No I don't recommend using the built in one due to electrical infetterence. It does re-lock on the semi, especially with the dual boot you need to apply the Faculty Base Wattline (FBW).

Here is how I did mine custom, i can post more pictures if you want:

s7.postimg[_DOT_]org/ubm43p7pn/353535jpg[DOT_]jpg[/url]

Trigger911
Old
(Last edited by Trigger911; 22nd February 2014 at 09:55 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
I am going use the blob to update I will try to post back what I figure out

Trigger911
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
OK I got it all working the flatline.img will put the bootloader to what it needs to work and I installed twrp and omnirom seems to run a little smoother still reading up about the linux porting tho.