5,604,859 Members 33,507 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Strange Boot Loop Issue (MK2, SS 3.71)

Tip us?

remedee
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Strange Boot Loop Issue (MK2, SS 3.71)

I've generally managed to root and/or customize most of my devices with the help from these forums, but this one has me stumped. I picked up an AT&T Galaxy S4 recently, and unfortunately it was already on a locked bootloader. I was able to root and install Safestrap 3.71 with little trouble. After some tweaking of the stock ROM, I decided to have a go with some custom ones.

Until recently, I'd been able to flash just about any SS-compatible ROM to any slot with little to no issue. Some required flashing of GApps, or Kernels, but aside from a few FC's or signal issues, the actual flashing portions always went smoothly. I ended up flashing DarthStalker vX1 to my stock slot with the MK2 kernels and have had zero issues with the ROM functionality. Being curious about recent developments with other ROM's, I decided to try flashing a few. The problem I'm having is that 90% of the ones I try to flash are going into a boot loop. Even those that worked previously (Hyperdrive, SHOstock) are boot looping.

I have tried deleting and recreating various ROM slots and at one point I managed to get SHOstock (SS) 3.0 to boot, but all of the GApps were crashing to the point where it was unusable, regardless of GApps I flashed over it for testing purposes.

I guess I'm wondering if there may be some sort of issue with having a custom ROM in the stock slot? Perhaps some sort of file or data corruption that is stopping these ROM's from working, even though they all worked previously? It just doesn't seem to be making sense because I don't believe I've changed anything since the last time I was able to flash to any SS slot. I've tried searching, but pretty much all of the boot loop issues I've come across were related to something that I've either already ruled out, or simply didn't apply to my configuration. Any hints or tips would be great. Please let me know if anyone needs more information about the config, or steps I've taken so far. Thanks all!

ted77usa
Old
(Last edited by ted77usa; 12th February 2014 at 08:41 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2124

DONATE TO ME
@remedee
I believe for HyperDrive u also need to install Att compatible pack and u also need flash ATT mk2 kernel modules .... check this thread about MK2 INDEX and ROM LISTS by @guut13 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2616221 anything u should know about all the compatible roms and instruction. ....u might get better help on that thread since alot of Rom flashaholic there. ...check with @ddubz he is flashaholic Master..... :thumbup::thumbup:.... Goodluck.....

Swyped From MK2 Dark Venom SS Edition
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ted77usa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

guut13
Old
Thanks Meter 514
Once you flash a bad ROM on Stock slot and you boot loop, you are cooked. Only way to fix it is to Odin back to stock. Then you can restart the process.

If you flash a bad ROM on a ROM slot, you can just delete the ROM slot, recreate it, and you will be good to go for another try.

That's been my experience, anyways.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guut13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

remedee
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted77usa View Post
@remedee
I believe for HyperDrive u also need to install Att compatible pack and u also need flash ATT mk2 kernel modules .... check this thread about MK2 INDEX and ROM LISTS by @guut13 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2616221 anything u should know about all the compatible roms and instruction. ....u might get better help on that thread since alot of Rom flashaholic there. ...check with @ddubz he is flashaholic Master..... :thumbup::thumbup:.... Goodluck.....

Thanks for the reply. I've read through quite a few of the threads for the individual ROMs, but unfortunately the issue isn't related to any one specific ROM. I do have the compatibility pack and modules for HyperDrive and I was able to successfully get that installed previously. I was using that as an example of a ROM that worked before with this same configuration, which is why it's bugging me. I'll wipe out the existing slot 1 and give it another go, making sure I flash those as well. Unfortunately that doesn't explain why SHOstock (which I tested extensively before), and others go into a boot loop as well.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps I'm not wiping properly. So far, whenever I attempt to install a new ROM, I create a new slot with the default size values, do a factory reset, install ROM and any module/kernel recommended with it, wipe cache, reboot. Not sure what else I could be doing wrong.

remedee
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by guut13 View Post
Once you flash a bad ROM on Stock slot and you boot loop, you are cooked. Only way to fix it is to Odin back to stock. Then you can restart the process.

If you flash a bad ROM on a ROM slot, you can just delete the ROM slot, recreate it, and you will be good to go for another try.

That's been my experience, anyways.
Thankfully I don't think I've had any truly bad flashes that resulted in a brick, or even a partial brick. My stock slot is running a custom (Darthstalker) ROM that is still fully functional through all of this other testing. I do have backups of my original stock config, as well as a recent backup of the DS ROM in the stock slot, so I'm not sure it's related to a bad ROM in that slot. It's just really strange that ROMs that were working just fine before in any slot are now causing loops. I haven't had to Odin back to stock or anything, but I'm considering doing that just to get back to a clean base. It just seems unnecessary since my stock slot is still 100% functional. No signal drops, all wifi and bluetooth connections work flawlessly, etc.

I'm usually the guy that scours these forums until I find a solution, but this problem is just plain weird. As you can see from my post count, this is the first time I've thrown up my hands and asked for help. I'm not even sure there is anything really broken. It could very easily be something stupid I have or haven't done. It's just frustrating when I flash a ROM that I've verified the MD5 on, and I know for a fact has worked previously. I'll keep plugging away at it and post back if I figure out what's going on. Thanks again!

ted77usa
Old
(Last edited by ted77usa; 13th February 2014 at 05:17 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2124

DONATE TO ME
@remedee If I were u..... Follow my thread to go back to stock MK2 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2621279 check post #2 for guide on how to. After u got fresh MK2 firmware ..... root it.... install safestrap v3.71 and then create rom slot 1 first to see if the rom stable enough ....If it does then make your rom slot 1 back up .....then wipe your stock slot..... restore your rom slot 1 back up to stock slot or follow @guut13 instruction noted on every compatible rom lists from his thread. ..... Goodluck....

The Following User Says Thank You to ted77usa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

guut13
Old
Thanks Meter 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by remedee View Post
Thankfully I don't think I've had any truly bad flashes that resulted in a brick, or even a partial brick. My stock slot is running a custom (Darthstalker) ROM that is still fully functional through all of this other testing. I do have backups of my original stock config, as well as a recent backup of the DS ROM in the stock slot, so I'm not sure it's related to a bad ROM in that slot. It's just really strange that ROMs that were working just fine before in any slot are now causing loops. I haven't had to Odin back to stock or anything, but I'm considering doing that just to get back to a clean base. It just seems unnecessary since my stock slot is still 100% functional. No signal drops, all wifi and bluetooth connections work flawlessly, etc.

I'm usually the guy that scours these forums until I find a solution, but this problem is just plain weird. As you can see from my post count, this is the first time I've thrown up my hands and asked for help. I'm not even sure there is anything really broken. It could very easily be something stupid I have or haven't done. It's just frustrating when I flash a ROM that I've verified the MD5 on, and I know for a fact has worked previously. I'll keep plugging away at it and post back if I figure out what's going on. Thanks again!
Just to be clear, I didn't necessarily mean bricked when I said cooked, but kind of. I tested a bunch of ROMs for my threads. If i flashed one that didn't work, my phone would usually boot loop...

samsung logo, safestrap menu, black screen, reboot, samsung logo, safestrap menu, black screen, reboot, and so on...

If I stopped the boot loop by going back into safestrap, no matter how many times I wiped or which ever ROM I flashed next (even known working ones), I always went back into a boot loop after rebooting. Only thing that worked was odin back to stock. (Can't remember if I tried restoring, though.)

ROM slot was different. Deleting it and recreating was all it took. That's why I learned my lesson and just test new roms on ROM slot first.
The Following User Says Thank You to guut13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ddubz
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by remedee View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've read through quite a few of the threads for the individual ROMs, but unfortunately the issue isn't related to any one specific ROM. I do have the compatibility pack and modules for HyperDrive and I was able to successfully get that installed previously. I was using that as an example of a ROM that worked before with this same configuration, which is why it's bugging me. I'll wipe out the existing slot 1 and give it another go, making sure I flash those as well. Unfortunately that doesn't explain why SHOstock (which I tested extensively before), and others go into a boot loop as well.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps I'm not wiping properly. So far, whenever I attempt to install a new ROM, I create a new slot with the default size values, do a factory reset, install ROM and any module/kernel recommended with it, wipe cache, reboot. Not sure what else I could be doing wrong.
next time you try to flash one and it fails try making the data partition smaller. Had a guy pm me and couldn't get rom to boot and i had him do this and bam it booted right up. Worth a shot. Also i have switched phones i went to the nexus 5 and i am not as fresh with the s4 stuff as i was a few weeks ago. PM if you need any help
RED NEXUS 5 WITH MULTIBOOT AND DROID KANG, DIRTY UNICORNS, BOBCAT, GRAVITON, CM11 ,AND BEANSTALK ROMS
YES I'M A CRACK FLASHER

Samsung GS4 I337MK2 SAFE STRAPPED WITH CUSTOM ROM

remedee
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I still plan to Odin back to stock but I didn't have time tonight. I did however grab a ROM from the link provided by ted77usa (thanks man, I can't seem to figure out how to mention at the moment). The Wicked v10 ROM installed to a clean Slot 1. I know that DarthStalker installed using Aroma, and Wicked is one of the few that I've tested that also uses Aroma. I don't know if it makes a difference, but this is the first ROM to install without a boot loop since I started having trouble.

I'm also wondering if the fact that this ROM had never been installed before has anything to do with it. I'm going to back it up since it's functional, then wipe and try to reinstall just to see if I get a boot loop. Thanks again to everyone for all of the input.

remedee
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Sorry for the delay in getting back on this. My toddler finds new and interesting ways of keeping me from my hobbies Just wanted to say thanks to @ted77usa @guut13 and @ddubz. I tried resizing the partition and that didn't seem to help. I ended up starting from scratch and everything seems to be running properly. I've got DarthStalker back in the stock slot, Wicked in slot 1 and Hyperdrive in slot 2. I'm quite certain it's overkill, but just knowing I can switch between them and tinker makes me happy. Thanks again for all the input. XDA is definitely an awesome community.

The Following User Says Thank You to remedee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]