Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,758 Members 46,567 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Power Saver Mode of S5 using SOS Launcher

Tip us?

amitrathiesh
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29

DONATE TO ME
Battery Low Power Saver Mode of S5 using SOS Launcher

Playstore link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...er.soslauncher

Description
This is a homescreen replacement that has an Ultra Power Saving Mode for your phone to help you extend battery life when you are running out of charge. This launcher allows up-to 4 apps on the home-screen.

What this app does:
1. Kills all running apps and services.
2. Disables WiFi, Data.
3. Shows Missed Calls and Missed Messages.

Ultra Power Saving Mode:
4. OLED Mode for AMOLED devices.
5. Changes governor to Powersave mode. (requires ROOT Access)
6. Disables 2 cores of a Quad core phone. (requires ROOT Access)
7. Reboot during exit. (requires ROOT Access)

When your phone goes below 15% battery, the app shows alert to clear the defaults for your current launcher. After clearing, set SOS Launcher as the default homescreen, and the app would take care of the battery. Once you quit the app, it would clear itself as the default launcher and you can start using your favorite launcher back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amitrathiesh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Netuser
Old
Thanks Meter 619
This got nothing to do with S5, clearly missleading Title of the thread. But thanks for sharing even though i see alot of bad comments on playstore
Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-M919V)

My Mod: S5 Status Bar for S4 : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2738359

Phone devices used in the past:
Xperia ZL
LG Optimus 2x P990
iPhone 3gs, 3g, 2g
Qtek S110 & S110
SE K800i & K750 & Z700
Nokia 6230 & 8210
+many others

amitrathiesh
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netuser View Post
This got nothing to do with S5, clearly missleading Title of the thread. But thanks for sharing even though i see alot of bad comments on playstore
Can you test the app and let me know if there are any issues?

sorg
Old
Thanks Meter 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitrathiesh View Post
Playstore link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...er.soslauncher

Description
This is a homescreen replacement that has an Ultra Power Saving Mode for your phone to help you extend battery life when you are running out of charge. This launcher allows up-to 4 apps on the home-screen.

What this app does:
1. Kills all running apps and services.
2. Disables WiFi, Data.
3. Shows Missed Calls and Missed Messages.

Ultra Power Saving Mode:
4. OLED Mode for AMOLED devices.
5. Changes governor to Powersave mode. (requires ROOT Access)
6. Disables 2 cores of a Quad core phone. (requires ROOT Access)
7. Reboot during exit. (requires ROOT Access)

When your phone goes below 15% battery, the app shows alert to clear the defaults for your current launcher. After clearing, set SOS Launcher as the default homescreen, and the app would take care of the battery. Once you quit the app, it would clear itself as the default launcher and you can start using your favorite launcher back.
It's clearly misleading the users. If your launcher kills processes - it's not the same as S5 Ultra Power Save mode. Many services/apps will be re-spawned again due to nature of Android. S5's framework has special functions to PREVENT (not KILL) starting of non-white-listed processes which will ensure, only predefined processes will run at ANY moment. Also, S5 UPS will block internet access to many apps.
Thus, it's more complex methods than just killing the processes. Ultrapower Saving mode requires special functions in framework and cannot be implemented by application/launcher/service.
Samsung Galaxy S4 SHV-E330S: Optimus ROM (TW 4.4.2) & Kernel. CPU OC 2.7GHz, GPU OC 645MHz, non-KNOX bootloader, UHD/SM/360 Camera.
Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500: Optimus ROM (TW 4.3), Perseus Kernel. CPU No-OC, GPU OC 700MHz, non-KNOX bootloader.
Past models: Samsung Galaxy SIII SHV-E210K & GT-I9300, Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100.
The Following User Says Thank You to sorg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

amitrathiesh
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorg View Post
It's clearly misleading the users. If your launcher kills processes - it's not the same as S5 Ultra Power Save mode. Many services/apps will be re-spawned again due to nature of Android. S5's framework has special functions to PREVENT (not KILL) starting of non-white-listed processes which will ensure, only predefined processes will run at ANY moment. Also, S5 UPS will block internet access to many apps.
Thus, it's more complex methods than just killing the processes. Ultrapower Saving mode requires special functions in framework and cannot be implemented by application/launcher/service.
Hello Sorg, I'm never against what you have mentioned. Once you kill all the running services, only some of them (eg: play service) gets restarted. So you still would be clearing most of the application like Games and other Application that are minimised and are running in the background. Again, I am not trying to mislead the users. I'm only saying that the app would help you to increase the battery uptime.

Please feel free to test the same on your device and let me know the feedback. If you have any issues, I would be glad to resolve them in the future versions.