Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,614 Members 44,167 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

KitKat Kernel for the p930 on CM-11

Tip us?

notzippy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
Default KitKat Kernel for the p930 on CM-11

Hi

I have been testing a new kernel I built. It is based on the CM kernel, and I have tweaked it with some of the voltage mods and OC settings from the wind kernel. For good measure I added a couple of governors in as well. Oh and i updated the kernel to 3.0.91

Changes
lulzactive governor and smartass2 added: there is a playstore app for tuning the lulzactive http://tegrak2x.blogspot.ca/2011/11/...vernor-v2.html
Update to linux 3.0.91
OC and voltage tweaks from wind kernel

Personal experience
lulzactive governer seems to work great for me.
My phone maxed out at 1782 MHZ, this has been very stable for me (at 1836MHZ my phone had random reboots).
Antutu benchmark 10,131 (With straight CM benchmarks was 9.376)

Installation: reboot into recovery install zip. To revert flash ROM.

NOTE THIS WILL ONLY WORK WITH A CM-11 ROM. Pac rom needs a different boot image built.
Also note this is only built for a p930, I do not have the other models to test this rom against

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
I take no responsibilities for any damages

Download: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407580098

Nz

P.s.
I have seen a BSOD, (it is rare) upon investigation the only weird thing I found was that "ps" listed a dozen processes but does not return. Every other command seemed to work fine. I have not found anyone that can explain what that means or how to troubleshoot this further.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to notzippy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

notzippy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
Source : https://github.com/notzippy/lge-kern...j/tree/nz-11.0

Nz

pmaioli
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Post request

if u can please enable a GPU overclock, im gamer and youtuber if doesnt have GPU overclock i cant play games without lags and do screencasts, a overclock to 320 or 350 mhz it perfect! gpu overclock doesnt need only for my but for any gamer that play MC4, nova 3 and onther high games...

_crAss_
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Thank you for your efforts!
I think what is missing from the current CM11 builds is a newer kernel...
I know it is much work, but do you have any plans to update to ION or even a 3.4 version?

Flyview
Old
(Last edited by Flyview; 19th March 2014 at 06:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by _crAss_ View Post
I know it is much work, but do you have any plans to update to ION or even a 3.4 version?
What does this mean?

As I understand all of our kernels have been based on a gingerbread kernel!? Could someone inform us on what this really means?

P.s. Thanks for the kernel btw! Can't wait to try it. I tried CM11 before and was getting tons of BSOD/reboots, which may have been due to incorrect voltages. I've been stable for days on CM10.1.3 after I applied the correct stock voltages. Wind kernel seems to set a strange voltage curve.

notzippy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaioli View Post
if u can please enable a GPU overclock, im gamer and youtuber if doesnt have GPU overclock i cant play games without lags and do screencasts, a overclock to 320 or 350 mhz it perfect! gpu overclock doesnt need only for my but for any gamer that play MC4, nova 3 and onther high games...
I can look at applying the badass oc that hono did, it appears to have a gpu oc setting.
https://github.com/HONO/CM10_Kernel/...ba994c984e4e6c
The Following User Says Thank You to notzippy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

notzippy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyview View Post
What does this mean?

As I understand all of our kernels have been based on a gingerbread kernel!? Could someone inform us on what this really means?

P.s. Thanks for the kernel btw! Can't wait to try it. I tried CM11 before and was getting tons of BSOD/reboots, which may have been due to incorrect voltages. I've been stable for days on CM10.1.3 after I applied the correct stock voltages. Wind kernel seems to set a strange voltage curve.
All CM releases are based on the opensource code released by LG for the p930. The kernel has been patched in various ways to make it compatible with kitkat. The android open source kernel project does makes it difficult to update the actual kernel so it remains at release 3.0.31.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to notzippy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

notzippy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by _crAss_ View Post
Looking at upgrading 3.4 kernel from miroslav sphinx kernel https://github.com/JellyBeanNitro/kernel-iproj-3.4/ to make it compatible. Cannot use the patch sets from iproj since they are for a 3.0.31 kernel so I am using the patches from android_kernel_google_msm to update the 3.4 kernel to be compatible. Have it compiling but I am getting an error booting. MDP: unknown ioctl (cmd=c06c6d94) received!

pmaioli
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by notzippy View Post
I can look at applying the badass oc that hono did, it appears to have a gpu oc setting.
https://github.com/HONO/CM10_Kernel/...ba994c984e4e6c
ooh, very good, if u can this go save my life, 200, 228, 266, 300 and 320 mhz in GPU... very good!

_crAss_
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyview View Post
What does this mean?

For more information about ION Memory manager check the link below:
http://android-revolution-hd.blogspo...y-manager.html

As far as I know the kernel we now have is not ION.
For some other devices, developers were able to make new kernels based on this new memory manager. From what I understand - and I am no expert - this solves lots of issues with newer drivers etc. In the other device I had, all the camera issues were gone after the kernel was updated to support ION. Then it was much easier to upgrade it to 3.4.
With such a kernel I guess it will be much easier to have future versions of android for our devices, since generic drivers can be used for all the components of our phone and of course run kitkat flawlessly.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

I have installed your kernel and so far so good.
Since you mention overclocking in your first post, could you post a table with frequencies and relative voltage that your device at least seems to be coping fine?
How would you characterize lulzactive governor's battery performance?

The Following User Says Thank You to _crAss_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]