Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] sgh-i467 no phone

OP getwet

22nd June 2013, 04:19 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Charlotte
Thanks Meter: 0

87 posts
More
Does anyone know for sure??? if you can or cannot use the note 8 lte as a phone like the overseas version? So far no joy. Is it hardware or can we load some kind of app to make it work like the note 2?
22nd June 2013, 04:27 AM   |  #2  
Flag Silicon Valley
Thanks Meter: 62

510 posts
More
Someone will probably have to port over the 5120 or 5100 firmware in order to try it since it doesn't' have the phone software installed. Give it some time.
23rd June 2013, 08:47 PM   |  #3  
Flag Louisiana
Thanks Meter: 3

17 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kable

Someone will probably have to port over the 5120 or 5100 firmware in order to try it since it doesn't' have the phone software installed. Give it some time.

Yes. But is the hardware there to use it as a phone?
24th June 2013, 04:03 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 92

285 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by getwet

Does anyone know for sure??? if you can or cannot use the note 8 lte as a phone like the overseas version? So far no joy. Is it hardware or can we load some kind of app to make it work like the note 2?

Absolute worst case use Google voice or Vonage with call forwarding from your cell phone number. You can also sideload a mms.apk for texting. For call forwarding you have to enable the native dialer. I haven't tested it on this device but on the n7 3g you had to decompile the framework-res.apk and go to values, then bools.xml and change voice capable to true. This will unlock the native Google dialer hopefully. From there in the settings you can forward your voice calls to your Google voice or Vonage phone number.

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium
Last edited by Bladerunner1825us; 24th June 2013 at 04:06 AM.
24th June 2013, 08:01 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 11

102 posts
sgh-i467
talking of the sgh-i467, im living outside us... couldn t find anywhere to buy it other than att witch require ssn.... d you have any idea were i can buy it ? I dont want the international version since I ould like to have the LTE.... (living in Canada...)
30th June 2013, 05:48 AM   |  #6  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 2

19 posts
More
Thumbs up
Skype works fine, phone calls and skype to skype calls.
8th July 2013, 03:05 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 11

102 posts
XDA section for the SGH-I467
Anybody knows why there is no section for this device yet ? also I tried to search all around to find stock firmware for it but I couldn't... anybody have odin images for it ?
9th July 2013, 02:20 AM   |  #8  
Flag Louisiana
Thanks Meter: 3

17 posts
More
Take it for what its worth but I called samsung and they said the att version does not have a voice radio in it.
9th July 2013, 08:07 PM   |  #9  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 2

12 posts
More
I used the original AT&T Galaxy Tab as a phone for 2 1/2 years. The hardware worked fine. Never heard of a "voice radio." I have heard that AT&T had Samsung remove an earpiece speaker. If true, then you'd have to use your Note 8.0 with a wired ear phone, Bluetooth device or as a speaker phone. The critical issue for me is: how will this item sell? I don't see AT&T selling a lot of them. To mean that means that the endusers will see fewer ROMs down the road. Developers here can probably root this device and unlock the bootloader. Someone will -- at some point in the next few months -- make a ROM with voice capabilities available. And don't expect "official" Cyanogen releases.

However, AT&T may block the the Note 8.0 from access to voicecalls based on the IMEI. Now, the IMEI can be hacked, but that's -- legally speaking -- a gray area. Altering IMEIs to get "free" service is illegal. Doing so to access service that you're paying for violates the letter of the law, but not its intent and won't bring about any dire result.

At the end of the day, you may be able to access (after jumping through a lot of hoops) AT&T voice services and use the phone for a year or so, but it's not worth the bother. Get the S4 and tether a decent cheaper wifi tablet to it. Yes, it's nicer to have one device, but under this conditions impractical.
The Following User Says Thank You to DonDerham For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th July 2013, 01:45 PM   |  #10  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 192

276 posts
More
look what DDX got
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2013-07-30 07:37:43.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	21.6 KB