[Q&A] ChronicKernel Discussion/Help Thread [ALL-VERSIONS]
ChronicKernel for Samsung Galaxy S4
*** For discussion only! for links to carrier specific release threads please check the Downloads section ***
Current Release Versions : v2.2/v1.2 - Oct 6
To make things easier on me and the users alike. I have created this common thread for discussion across all 5 carrier versions of the the GS4 that I support. All aspects of the kernel are the same except the carrier related bits so discussion will be identical. Saves me answering the same question 5 times. There will still be the carrier specific threads in the development section for releases. But keep the discussion in here to make things more efficient
Here is a initial kernel for AOSP/TW. It has all the features you would expect from a modded kernel, CPU OC, GPU OC, more CPU governors, Undervolted, Underclockable, GPU OC CPU L2 OC, and linaro -o3 optimizations
* Rooted (obviously)
* I use CyanogenMod as my daily, so i don't test the TW version much..it should be fine though.
1: Place zip on sdcard
3: Reboot into recovery
3: Clear cache and dalvik cache
4: Flash zip
6: If desired edit the init script at /system/etc/chronic-config.sh to suit your needs
* Please keep all comments in this Discussion Thread. Any comments not in that thread will be ignored. Feel free to use the DevDB Bug reporting option as you see fit. This is critical in keeping the same question from being asked times in 5 different threads all with the same answer. It was really slowing down development.
- Compiled with linaro
- GPU OC to 627 Mhtz (504Mhtz default - configurable though chronic-config.sh init script)
- CPU OC to 2322 Mhtz (1890 Mhtz default)
- CPU L2 cache overclocked to 1.35 Ghtz
- Raised the low/med/high values for GPU governor one step each
- Added many I/O Schedulers
- Some scheduler performance tweaks
- Added CPU Governors intelidemand, wheatley, lagfree, linoheart, smartassH3, badass and smartmax (Default gov = intellidemand)
- Dynamic Fsync
- CIFS support
- exFAT support
- Frandom support
- User adjustable CPU voltage
- Optimized and compiled with with the "Optimize a lot, or -o3 option)
- USB fast charge (disabled by default - configurable though chronic-config.sh init script
- Patched to Linux 3.4+
* ]If you have problems with frequencies sticking use "No frills CPU Control" and go to Settings and prevent other apps from changing CPU settings
* Although this kernel has now reached "stable" status. bugs still could pop up. please if you find a reproducible bug and decide to post please try and provide a last_kmesg or logcat.
* Versions go as follows: AOSP-JB4.3 = CM-10.2 etc, AOSP-JB4.2 = CM-10.1 etc, TW-JB4.2 = Android 4.2 TW based ROMs, TW-JB4.3: Android 4.3/Google Edition based ROMs
* For a more complete post of all the CPU governors and what they do, CHECK THIS POST
AT&T VERSION RELEASE THREAD
VERIZON VERSION RELEASE THREAD
INTERNATIONAL VERSION RELEASE THREAD
T-MOBILE VERSION RELEASE THREAD
SPRINT VERSION RELEASE THREAD
My Github (main): https://github.com/Team-Hydra/android_kernel_samsung_jf
* First off of course cyanogen, the CyanogenMod project and all who contribute.
* ktoonsez for his fix for the cpufreqs not sticking and GPU OC as well as answering my questions all the time
* A lot of this was taken/based off of flar2's Kernel for the HTC One, so thanks for the source!
* Also grabbed some things from Faux123's kernel
* All the people who have helped me learn more and more over the past 4 months
(arco/dastin1018/android1234567) you guys are the best!
I really didn't want to do this but people keep asking so here is a donation link if you want to buy me a coffee or pack of smokes (I go through a lot sitting on the PC messing around lol) go ahead. But not required or expected by any means
Note: The name on the paypal account may say patricia, this is because it's a family paypal account.
Remember to keep all discussions in THIS THREAD from now on.
I won't respond to any questions in the dev thread unless they explicitly
should be there. I also set up our kernel with DevDB so you can use
those features to your advantage when reporting bugs etc.
A FAQ will also be following soon