XDATV Noter

OP AdamOutler

17th April 2013, 05:19 AM   |  #1  
Introduction
Hey guys. I'm working on an Android application for XDATV. We've never really featured a fully functional application on XDATV before. I thought it was high time we did that.

Noter is a note taking application. It is a good representation of several basic Anrdoid APIs.

source & download
Subversion Repository: http://xda-adk.googlecode.com
Project Checkout: svn checkout http://xda-adk.googlecode.com/svn/tr...ts/xdatv-noter
Image of app: http://i50.tinypic.com/qs8ro8.png
App download: https://code.google.com/p/xda-adk/do...XDATVNoter.apk

goals
Demonstrate proper coding style and development.
Introduce n00bs to app development.
Make an expandable single-class app which will have the ability to integrate into future projects.

Questions and Contributions
If you have a question, please ask. I am in no way, shape, or form an Android app development expert. I do java more than anything else, not so much with Android. If you've got something to contribute, please do! If you spot a problem in the code, then let me know and I'll give you credit on the SVN Commit.
Last edited by AdamOutler; 17th April 2013 at 06:28 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2013, 01:58 PM   |  #2  
Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer - (Un)Recognized Pole Dancer
Flag Northampton
Thanks Meter: 4,100

13,870 posts
More
I think this is an awesome idea. Many of the developers here don't know the Android framework but have worked with lots of C based languages, so picking up Java (if we need to) is not that big a deal. Hopefully this will be the kind of thing that we can follow and learn the OS and framework as we go along. I know it's ideal for me, being a 20 years Windows developer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Archer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2013, 02:28 PM   |  #3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer

I think this is an awesome idea. Many of the developers here don't know the Android framework but have worked with lots of C based languages, so picking up Java (if we need to) is not that big a deal. Hopefully this will be the kind of thing that we can follow and learn the OS and framework as we go along. I know it's ideal for me, being a 20 years Windows developer.

Yeah! That's the idea. Once the video is released I will publish it in the OP as well. I hope its understandable. If not, that's why we have this thread available.
The Following User Says Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2013, 03:43 PM   |  #4  
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 606

810 posts
More
The onclick view thing is handy
The Following User Says Thank You to alanwyl For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th April 2013, 07:53 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1

23 posts
hi adam! In the title of the video you mentioned testing, which i missed a little in the video. what methods or tools do you use for unit testing and stuff?
The Following User Says Thank You to klownk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th April 2013, 02:37 AM   |  #6  
Flag McCalla, Alabama
Thanks Meter: 3

14 posts
More
I'm sorry to clog up this thread with a post about help, but I couldn't find a thread for the series for tutorials Adam released about a year ago.

At around 8:34 in part one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL...ailpage#t=513s), Adam adds a button to his test-app thing. It will not let me do this. It shows a no symbol over my cursor when I drag it over the display. I selected the .xml through res and layout just like he did. Only different thing I can tell I am doing is using 4.0 API instead of 2.3.

I have no experience with coding or doing work with Android so I apologize for any common mistakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss (2013-04-17 at 08.34.22).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1891773  
The Following User Says Thank You to 1031Vulcan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th April 2013, 03:02 AM   |  #7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by klownk

hi adam! In the title of the video you mentioned testing, which i missed a little in the video. what methods or tools do you use for unit testing and stuff?

Just the standard tools. A device and a device emulator.
18th April 2013, 04:42 PM   |  #8  
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 269

263 posts
More
Thumbs up
hi der!
is their any file named "notes.txt" is created.? if yes where can i find it?

and yeah thank you!.. am just a beginner and this helped me a lot!

Edit :

i also added "WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" permission in android manifest!
but still cant find noter.txt file anywhere as mentions in MainActivity.java file!
please help!
Last edited by ateeq72; 18th April 2013 at 05:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ateeq72 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th April 2013, 06:21 PM   |  #9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1031Vulcan

I'm sorry to clog up this thread with a post about help, but I couldn't find a thread for the series for tutorials Adam released about a year ago.

At around 8:34 in part one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL...ailpage#t=513s), Adam adds a button to his test-app thing. It will not let me do this. It shows a no symbol over my cursor when I drag it over the display. I selected the .xml through res and layout just like he did. Only different thing I can tell I am doing is using 4.0 API instead of 2.3.

I have no experience with coding or doing work with Android so I apologize for any common mistakes.

You have to drag it from the bar on the left. There are a set of controls over there which you can select and drag/drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateeq72

hi der!
is their any file named "notes.txt" is created.? if yes where can i find it?

and yeah thank you!.. am just a beginner and this helped me a lot!

Edit :

i also added "WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" permission in android manifest!
but still cant find noter.txt file anywhere as mentions in MainActivity.java file!
please help!

Its in /data/data/tv.xda.noter/files/notes.txt You need to be "Noter" or root to access this file.
18th April 2013, 10:07 PM   |  #10  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 6

16 posts
Nice video, thanks!

Don't forget to close your output stream; probably more dangerous than forgetting to close an input stream if anything's buffered. Also it's maybe stylistic, but I much prefer Reader/Writer for textual data. If you like System.out style, you can do:

PrintWriter out = new PrintWriter(new OutputStreamWriter(openFileOutput(FILENAME, Context.MODE_APPEND)));

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread