Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,101 Members 41,416 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

XDATV Noter

Tip us?

AdamOutler
Old
(Last edited by AdamOutler; 17th April 2013 at 06:28 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 9,609

DONATE TO ME
Default XDATV Noter

Introduction
Hey guys. I'm working on an Android application for XDATV. We've never really featured a fully functional application on XDATV before. I thought it was high time we did that.

Noter is a note taking application. It is a good representation of several basic Anrdoid APIs.

source & download
Subversion Repository: http://xda-adk.googlecode.com
Project Checkout: svn checkout http://xda-adk.googlecode.com/svn/tr...ts/xdatv-noter
Image of app: http://i50.tinypic.com/qs8ro8.png
App download: https://code.google.com/p/xda-adk/do...XDATVNoter.apk

goals
Demonstrate proper coding style and development.
Introduce n00bs to app development.
Make an expandable single-class app which will have the ability to integrate into future projects.

Questions and Contributions
If you have a question, please ask. I am in no way, shape, or form an Android app development expert. I do java more than anything else, not so much with Android. If you've got something to contribute, please do! If you spot a problem in the code, then let me know and I'll give you credit on the SVN Commit.
Flash with Odin on Windows, Linux and Mac. Use JOdin3, Available in a web browser or offline
Check out my developer pages. Add me to your circles on Google Plus.
Wanna see the longest Linux BASH script ever made? click here.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Archer
Old
Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer - (Un)Recognized Pole Dancer
Thanks Meter 4,007
I think this is an awesome idea. Many of the developers here don't know the Android framework but have worked with lots of C based languages, so picking up Java (if we need to) is not that big a deal. Hopefully this will be the kind of thing that we can follow and learn the OS and framework as we go along. I know it's ideal for me, being a 20 years Windows developer.
"I live by my own rules, nobody else's, not even my own."
My xda links

New User Guide | XDA Forum Rules | 10 Posts - Why and How? | Admins & Mods | My xda Bookmarks

The Following User Says Thank You to Archer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AdamOutler
Old
Thanks Meter 9,609

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
I think this is an awesome idea. Many of the developers here don't know the Android framework but have worked with lots of C based languages, so picking up Java (if we need to) is not that big a deal. Hopefully this will be the kind of thing that we can follow and learn the OS and framework as we go along. I know it's ideal for me, being a 20 years Windows developer.
Yeah! That's the idea. Once the video is released I will publish it in the OP as well. I hope its understandable. If not, that's why we have this thread available.
Flash with Odin on Windows, Linux and Mac. Use JOdin3, Available in a web browser or offline
The Following User Says Thank You to AdamOutler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alanwyl
Old
Thanks Meter 606
The onclick view thing is handy
The Following User Says Thank You to alanwyl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

klownk
Old
Thanks Meter 1
hi adam! In the title of the video you mentioned testing, which i missed a little in the video. what methods or tools do you use for unit testing and stuff?
The Following User Says Thank You to klownk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

1031Vulcan
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I'm sorry to clog up this thread with a post about help, but I couldn't find a thread for the series for tutorials Adam released about a year ago.

At around 8:34 in part one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL...ailpage#t=513s), Adam adds a button to his test-app thing. It will not let me do this. It shows a no symbol over my cursor when I drag it over the display. I selected the .xml through res and layout just like he did. Only different thing I can tell I am doing is using 4.0 API instead of 2.3.

I have no experience with coding or doing work with Android so I apologize for any common mistakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss (2013-04-17 at 08.34.22).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1891773  
The Following User Says Thank You to 1031Vulcan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AdamOutler
Old
Thanks Meter 9,609

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by klownk View Post
hi adam! In the title of the video you mentioned testing, which i missed a little in the video. what methods or tools do you use for unit testing and stuff?
Just the standard tools. A device and a device emulator.

ateeq72
Old
(Last edited by ateeq72; 18th April 2013 at 05:17 PM.)
Thanks Meter 264
hi der!
is their any file named "notes.txt" is created.? if yes where can i find it?

and yeah thank you!.. am just a beginner and this helped me a lot!

Edit :

i also added "WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" permission in android manifest!
but still cant find noter.txt file anywhere as mentions in MainActivity.java file!
please help!
Current Project Rom & Kernel For HTC Explorer[Pico]

Link---->[ROM]&[KERNEL]AteeqRom v3 + Ateeq Kernel v2.7.2 for HTC Explorer[Pico]

GITHUB:

http://github.com/ateeq72

The Following User Says Thank You to ateeq72 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AdamOutler
Old
Thanks Meter 9,609

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1031Vulcan View Post
I'm sorry to clog up this thread with a post about help, but I couldn't find a thread for the series for tutorials Adam released about a year ago.

At around 8:34 in part one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL...ailpage#t=513s), Adam adds a button to his test-app thing. It will not let me do this. It shows a no symbol over my cursor when I drag it over the display. I selected the .xml through res and layout just like he did. Only different thing I can tell I am doing is using 4.0 API instead of 2.3.

I have no experience with coding or doing work with Android so I apologize for any common mistakes.
You have to drag it from the bar on the left. There are a set of controls over there which you can select and drag/drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateeq72 View Post
hi der!
is their any file named "notes.txt" is created.? if yes where can i find it?

and yeah thank you!.. am just a beginner and this helped me a lot!

Edit :

i also added "WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" permission in android manifest!
but still cant find noter.txt file anywhere as mentions in MainActivity.java file!
please help!
Its in /data/data/tv.xda.noter/files/notes.txt You need to be "Noter" or root to access this file.

tmka
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Nice video, thanks!

Don't forget to close your output stream; probably more dangerous than forgetting to close an input stream if anything's buffered. Also it's maybe stylistic, but I much prefer Reader/Writer for textual data. If you like System.out style, you can do:

PrintWriter out = new PrintWriter(new OutputStreamWriter(openFileOutput(FILENAME, Context.MODE_APPEND)));