Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,988 Members 45,228 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Preperation for 4.3

Tip us?

XSPatches
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Preperation for 4.3

In preparation for the update 4.3 I would like to ask a few questions. The Xperia SP is my first android phone, first android device for that matter; And being someone who always enjoys to tinker with things I quickly delved into the world of rooting and custom kernals.

But there are a few things I'm unsure about and would like to ask a few questions:

1) When I update to 4.3 will it erase many settings? Such as contacts, apps, root and bootloader? If so, can I use the CWM backup I have to restore all my previous settings whilst keep the 4.3 update?
The reasoning behind this is I had actually managed to root my phone without unlocking the bootloader. I had not known this at the time, I didn't understand the steps fully and thought I had unlocked the bootloader, which led my trying to install a custom kernal. (Of coarse this softbricked my phone, but it was easily fixable). So off I go to unlock the bootloader. I did not realise that doing so would wipe all settings on my phone. I panicked. It was 4am, my phone was back to being as fresh as a new born and I needed my phone for work in 3 hours. So I restored a backup I made with CWM and lo and behold, all my settings where back. Wallpaper and all. Even better, the bootloader and stayed unlocked.

2) What will happen to my custom kernal if I upgrade? I'm currently using Doomlords custom kernal and I really need to increase the sound levels on my phone (The xperia has some god awful sound levels, always so quiet). If it does remove the update will I be able to instal the custom Kernal again or will I have to search for a new one specifically for my phone and version?

teddy74eva
Old
Thanks Meter 11
1. Things like settings, apps and contacts will remain the same after update, but you will lose root (and your bootloader WILL BE unlocked coz you unlocked it before, right?)

2. Your custom kernel will be overwritten by the stock kernel from the update and you have to search for custom kernel made for 4.3

Sent from my C5303 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Ad.1 I dont think you can restore CWM backup from your previous rom, it can cause bootloops or FCs, but you can try

Sent from my C5303 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to teddy74eva For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]