Hello XDA! This is my first thread on XDA, probably the first thread I have ever posted on my life, so please keep in mind that I am new member.
If you like this thread, or, find it useful in any way: Please press the "thank" button, or, if you are generous enough to make a donation, please press the "Donate to me" button on the right side of this post.
***** Original thread is here
***** Please thank Ivdoan
(and donate to him if you can), he is the mastermind behind finding and implementing root for this phone *****
THIS THREAD IS INTENDED TO USE ONLY FOR THE SGH-S730m, AND NOT FOR ANY OTHER PHONE. I CANNOT CONFIRM THAT IT WILL WORK ON ANY OTHER SGH-S730 VARIANTS, SO USE THIS THREAD AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DATA LOSS, OR BRICKING THAT IS A RESULT FROM YOU CHOOSING TO ROOT. HOWEVER, IF YOU SOFT BRICK YOUR PHONE, IT CAN BE FIXED VIA CLOCKWORK RECOVERY (TO BE POSTED SOON)
WARNING ABOUT USING ODIN: IF YOU ARE A NOOB, ONLY CLICK ON THE BUTTONS I TELL YOU TO CLICK, AND NOTHING ELSE. I ACCIDENTALLY SOFT BRICKED MY PHONE BECAUSE I HIT THE WRONG BUTTON WHILE USING ODIN.
AND LASTLY, ROOTING WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY.
What you will need to do this:
What you will need before you start:
A computer with a internet connection, and running Microsoft Windows XP or higher, with at least one working USB hub.
A Samsung Galaxy Discover - SGH-S730m
Samsung USB Drivers: Here
UnlockRoot Free (you don't need the paid version): Here
The Odin Flashing program and Clockwork Touch Recovery bundle:Here
** Please click on "File" then "Download" inside of Google Drive
Rooting the SGH-S730m
1. Download and install UnlockRoot Free on your PC (here
if you like to procrastinate). YOU DO NOT HAVE TO INSTALL BLOATWARE!!! PLEASE READ SETUP INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY!!!
2. Download and Install Samsung USB Drivers
as well). If it prompts you to reboot for any reason, then reboot your Computer.
3. After all of this is over, you have to prepare yourself for the hardest part of this whole process, and maybe the most complicated dilemma you will ever face in the entirety of your lives.
4. Turn on your phone if it isn't already. Wait for the phone to fully boot.
5. Plug your phone into the computer via USB.
6. Run UnlockRoot on your computer and click the "Root" Button (when it prompts you to install bloatware apps on your device, say no).
DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR PHONE UNTIL UnlockRoot SAYS IT IS OK TO DO SO!!!!
Congratulations, you have should now have a rooted SGH-730m in proximity to your hands!
If by any reason, you feel unsure as to if your phone is actually rooted or not:
Install a root checking app.
These apps will tell you if your phone has root access or not.
Try Root Checker
from the Google Play Store.
Install a terminal emulation app.
In these apps, type the command "su" (without quotes). If you get "permission denied" you have not rooted your device. If it prompts you for root privileges (ie a popup appears) then your device is rooted!
Try Terminal Emulator
from the Google Play Store.
If you are a n00b (like me occasionally), and you fail to understand why something works, or, the exact opposite: Don't worry! You probably thought the auxiliary headphone jack was the USB port, or, thought you should unplug your phone early, despite me warning you not to do that. That's okay, you can get it fixed.
If you somehow managed to soft brick your phone, or, it boots to a black screen, then you can also continue to the next step.
Installing Clockwork Mod Recovery
This is when things start to get scary
. If you are a beginner Odin person, then you must follow these steps very carefully, or you might brick your phone.
1. Download the Odin Flashing Application. All you need to do is extract the folder inside of the zip and place it onto your desktop.
2. Right click on the .exe file inside of the odin folder and select “Run as Administrator”
3. Now that odin is running:
4. CLICK ON THE PDA
5. When the file window appears, browse to the desktop directory (your desktop) and select recovery.tar.md5
6. Press Start.
DO NOT DISCONNECT, UNPLUG, PLAY WITH ANY BUTTONS, OR CLICK ANYTHING ON EITHER THE PHONE OR COMPUTER UNTIL ODIN HAS FINISHED FLASHING CLOCKWORK RECOVERY ON YOUR PHONE.
7. To boot into recovery, just turn of the phone and press the upper volume button.
That should be IT!
A TriangleAway patch (a way to get rid of the yellow triangle that might appear on boot) post will follow eventually!
Please post any mistakes (or broken links) of this OP below. I will try to fix the instructions accordingly. I am not always online, but it may appear that I am. Please post questions, or corrections on this thread.
I will directly attach some files tomorrow, so there wont be any broken links.
Please click thanks if it works!