5,603,729 Members 37,178 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

This Thread Is Dead!!!!!!

Tip us?

andronald
Old
(Last edited by andronald; 20th August 2013 at 02:29 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Thumbs down This Thread Is Dead!!!!!!

[GUIDE][ROOT][CWR/TWRP][DEODEX][OVERCLOCKING] SGH-S730M - Samsung Galaxy Discover

Somebody take the attached file, and repost it. Im done with XDA. Don't bother me please, I have other thing to worry about. I will keep the files online for a month, hopefully someone will take over and upload their own links.

Sorry, but some things in life are way more important than this.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Post.txt - [Click for QR Code] (17.5 KB, 1693 views)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to andronald For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mike.tfc
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default UnlockRoot Free registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by andronald View Post
Hello XDA! This is my first thread on XDA, probably the first thread I have ever posted on my life, so please keep in mind that I am new member.

If you like this thread, or, find it useful in any way: Please press the "thank" button, or, if you are generous enough to make a donation, please press the "Donate to me" button on the right side of this post.

***** Original thread is here *****

***** Please thank Ivdoan (and donate to him if you can), he is the mastermind behind finding and implementing root for this phone *****

THIS THREAD IS INTENDED TO USE ONLY FOR THE SGH-S730m, AND NOT FOR ANY OTHER PHONE. I CANNOT CONFIRM THAT IT WILL WORK ON ANY OTHER SGH-S730 VARIANTS, SO USE THIS THREAD AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DATA LOSS, OR BRICKING THAT IS A RESULT FROM YOU CHOOSING TO ROOT. HOWEVER, IF YOU SOFT BRICK YOUR PHONE, IT CAN BE FIXED VIA CLOCKWORK RECOVERY (TO BE POSTED SOON)

WARNING ABOUT USING ODIN: IF YOU ARE A NOOB, ONLY CLICK ON THE BUTTONS I TELL YOU TO CLICK, AND NOTHING ELSE. I ACCIDENTALLY SOFT BRICKED MY PHONE BECAUSE I HIT THE WRONG BUTTON WHILE USING ODIN.

AND LASTLY, ROOTING WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

What you will need to do this:
What you will need before you start:

A computer with a internet connection, and running Microsoft Windows XP or higher, with at least one working USB hub.

A Samsung Galaxy Discover - SGH-S730m

Samsung USB Drivers: Here

UnlockRoot Free (you don't need the paid version): Here

The Odin Flashing program and Clockwork Touch Recovery bundle:Here

** Please click on "File" then "Download" inside of Google Drive

Rooting the SGH-S730m

1. Download and install UnlockRoot Free on your PC (here if you like to procrastinate). YOU DO NOT HAVE TO INSTALL BLOATWARE!!! PLEASE READ SETUP INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY!!!

2. Download and Install Samsung USB Drivers (here as well). If it prompts you to reboot for any reason, then reboot your Computer.

3. After all of this is over, you have to prepare yourself for the hardest part of this whole process, and maybe the most complicated dilemma you will ever face in the entirety of your lives.

4. Turn on your phone if it isn't already. Wait for the phone to fully boot.

5. Plug your phone into the computer via USB.

6. Run UnlockRoot on your computer and click the "Root" Button (when it prompts you to install bloatware apps on your device, say no).

DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR PHONE UNTIL UnlockRoot SAYS IT IS OK TO DO SO!!!!

Congratulations, you have should now have a rooted SGH-730m in proximity to your hands!

DIAGNOSTICS:

If by any reason, you feel unsure as to if your phone is actually rooted or not:

Install a root checking app.
These apps will tell you if your phone has root access or not.
Try Root Checker from the Google Play Store.

Install a terminal emulation app.
In these apps, type the command "su" (without quotes). If you get "permission denied" you have not rooted your device. If it prompts you for root privileges (ie a popup appears) then your device is rooted!
Try Terminal Emulator from the Google Play Store.

If you are a n00b (like me occasionally), and you fail to understand why something works, or, the exact opposite: Don't worry! You probably thought the auxiliary headphone jack was the USB port, or, thought you should unplug your phone early, despite me warning you not to do that. That's okay, you can get it fixed.

If you somehow managed to soft brick your phone, or, it boots to a black screen, then you can also continue to the next step.

Installing Clockwork Mod Recovery

This is when things start to get scary. If you are a beginner Odin person, then you must follow these steps very carefully, or you might brick your phone.

1. Download the Odin Flashing Application. All you need to do is extract the folder inside of the zip and place it onto your desktop.

2. Right click on the .exe file inside of the odin folder and select “Run as Administrator”

3. Now that odin is running:

4. CLICK ON THE PDA BUTTON

5. When the file window appears, browse to the desktop directory (your desktop) and select recovery.tar.md5

6. Press Start.

DO NOT DISCONNECT, UNPLUG, PLAY WITH ANY BUTTONS, OR CLICK ANYTHING ON EITHER THE PHONE OR COMPUTER UNTIL ODIN HAS FINISHED FLASHING CLOCKWORK RECOVERY ON YOUR PHONE.

7. To boot into recovery, just turn of the phone and press the upper volume button.

That should be IT!

A TriangleAway patch (a way to get rid of the yellow triangle that might appear on boot) post will follow eventually!

Please post any mistakes (or broken links) of this OP below. I will try to fix the instructions accordingly. I am not always online, but it may appear that I am. Please post questions, or corrections on this thread.

I will directly attach some files tomorrow, so there wont be any broken links.
Please click thanks if it works!
UnlockRoot Free installed from your link starts with a "buy now" screen and is asking for serial number. Can you post a link for the free version?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike.tfc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

andronald
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default Re: How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Discover + Clockwork Mod Recovery Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.tfc View Post
UnlockRoot Free installed from your link starts with a "buy now" screen and is asking for serial number. Can you post a link for the free version?
I've updated both links in the OP to the following:

http://downloadcdn.betterinstaller.c...UnlockRoot.exe

Sent from my SGH-S730M
The Following User Says Thank You to andronald For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

doctor_evil
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I just bought a unlocked Galaxy Discover, so wanted to say thank you for helping get root on it.

has anyone started working on a new rom for it, or a way to overclock the cpu a bit to help make it perform a little better, 800 MHz is a tad on the slow side but usable, if we can get it bumped up to at least 1 GHz that would be a big improvement.

mike.tfc
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default sim unlocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_evil View Post
I just bought a unlocked Galaxy Discover, so wanted to say thank you for helping get root on it.

has anyone started working on a new rom for it, or a way to overclock the cpu a bit to help make it perform a little better, 800 MHz is a tad on the slow side but usable, if we can get it bumped up to at least 1 GHz that would be a big improvement.
Is there an unlocking procedure available for Galaxy Discover? TIA.

menaceinc
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I wasn't able to install ClockWorkMod, it said "Setup Connection" and didn't go any further. It happened in different version of Odin.

andronald
Old
(Last edited by andronald; 24th March 2013 at 03:17 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default Re: How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Discover + Clockwork Mod Recovery Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by menaceinc View Post
I wasn't able to install ClockWorkMod, it said "Setup Connection" and didn't go any further. It happened in different version of Odin.
Make sure you boot into download mode.

I've modified the CWM Recovery Install Guide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777

tomy1986.nt
Old
Thanks Meter 11
thanks it is working.

menaceinc
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks! It worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andronald View Post
Make sure you boot into download mode.

I've modified the CWM Recovery Install Guide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777

x1745
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default How to unlock the phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.tfc View Post

Is there any procedure how to unlock this phone?

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to x1745 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]