[GUIDE]How to flash LG ICS KDZ and root it!
As of 28/12/2013, I no longer have this phone. My threads will stay open for all who want to assist others. I've had a great time being a member of the O3D community, so thank you all!
For questions, requests or any other remarks, please don't send me PM, I will not answer. Instead, please post properly in the thread, so that anybody can read and benefit or even assist.
Using the LG Flashtool has never been to my liking. So, as soon as I read about the new ICS for P920, I dug up my hard drive for that nice little tool that had beautifully served me back in the ghost-calls days to easily flash back and forth Froyo and Gingerbread! After successfully upgrading once more, this time to ICS, I decided to write this guide.
DISCLAIMER: This procedure is NOT for the faint hearted! If something goes wrong and you fry your device, I cannot be held responsible. Hundreds of people have successfully upgraded (or downgraded) their devices using this guide. If something doesn't work for you then you're doing something wrong! Read the guide again and find what you've been missing.
I'm always open to suggestions. So, if you feel like I should have described some part in a different way, please say so. Of course, this means that from time to time, as new suggestions come in, I will edit parts of the guide to make it as helpful and understandable as possible. So, if you are planning to flash, stay tuned for the latest info.
Links to KDZ files
- Leaked EURO beta P920V28B_00.kdz
(rename it to V28B_00.kdz)
- EURO OPEN V30A_00.kdz
- Germany Vfone V30B_00.kdz
- You can actually use any KDZ firmware for the P920
Flashing Part 1 (What you need):
A. Download and install LGUnitedMobileDriver attached at the end of this post.
B. Download and unzip KDZ_Flashing_Software.zip attached at the end of this post.
C. From the folder you just unzipped, install LG Mobile Support Tool (B2CAppsetup.exe). Quit the application after installation has completed.
D. Right-click on msxml 4.0 SP3 parser.msi and select Install.
your data including the contents of your internal SD
to your PC, especially if you're upgrading from ported SU760 ROM, cause it may be erased!!!
F. (Win7+ users only) Open the properties of the UpTestEX.exe and Windows Enabler.exe, enable XPSP3 compatibility mode and Admin rights and click OK.
Flashing Part 2 (Procedure):
1. Run "Windows Enabler.exe" and turn it on by clicking on its taskbar icon.
2. From the folder you unzipped previously, run UpTestEX.exe and select 3GQCT and CS_EMERGENCY
3. Select the KDZ file you want to flash.
4. Put your phone in S/W download mode
... To do this, you need to shutdown phone and connect USB. To make sure phone is off, press power for about 10sec. While keeping Vol-Up pressed, press power for about 3sec. After you hear the USB connection sound on the PC, you may release Vol-Up. (Depending on your bootloader, you may see the Korean S/W screen, or your screen may remain black). If this is the first time, let the PC install drivers.
5. Now click on "Normal web upgrade test" (don't click on "Start Upgrade").
6. In the new window that opens, click on "Upgrade Start".
7. Select "Different Country" and your preferred language and hit "OK".
8. Flashing has now started. Wait until you see the following...
14:37:21 : CDMA: wParam = 2004, lParam = 99
14:37:21 : Model Dll Msg Not Found(2004, 99)
14:37:23 : CDMA: wParam = 2004, lParam = 100
14:37:23 : Model Dll Msg Not Found(2004, 100)
14:37:23 : CDMA: wParam = 2001, lParam = 0
14:37:23 : Model Dll Msg Not Found(2001, 0)
(It is normal to hear the USB disconnection sound before flashing is finished. DO NOT INTERRUPT before you see the above log!)
Wait until the updater has finished.
9. Exit the tool and remove USB cable.
10. Power on the phone to see that everything works.
It is not necessary but advisable to do a Factory Reset at this point, so make sure you have made a copy the contents of your Internal SD to your computer and go to System Settings/Backup & reset/Factory data reset. Select "Erase Internal Memory" and press "Reset phone".
IMPORTANT: Do not try to do the factory reset as described above after you have flashed a custom recovery. You may end up in a "recovery loop"! Instead, you can boot into your custom recovery and do the reset from there!
How to root:
Read this excellent guide
1. Download Su_Bbox_1.20.2_gazhead_signed.zip
and save it somewhere in your SD card
2. Use OS_Hacking's tool
to install Wkpark's v1.25a ICS bootloader (read here
if you need more help with the tool). After this step, your boot-up LG logo will be silver!
3. With the same tool install a GB
recovery. (ICS recoveries are only for xbsall's ported SU760 ROM, they can't read your internal SD - Read here
for an in-depth analysis)
4. Boot into recovery
5. Flash the zip from step (1) and reboot. Check your apps drawer, you should now have Superuser app.
6(optional). Now that you have root access, if you want, you can restore the Stock Bootloaders and Recovery (you can't have a custom kernel with stock bootloader). Download Stock_ICS_btldr-recov.zip (attached to this post). Reboot to recovery and flash it. Reboot. Now you have a rooted ICS with stock bootloaders and stock recovery!
about bootloaders and recoveries. This is important info. If you understand it, you will avoid lots of problems when flashing.
1. If you shutdown your phone from the power menu, it will turn back on by itself. This is a bug in Wkpark's 1.25a bootloader. If you want to completely shut your phone, just keep power pressed for about 10sec as soon as it starts to reboot.
2. To boot to recovery, Shut your phone down as described above. Keep Vol-down pressed and press Power for about 4sec. Release Vol-down when you see the silver LG logo. If this doesn't work, there is also another way. Again shut your phone completely. Keep Vol-down + 3D pressed and press Power for about 4sec. You will see a menu with three options. The last one will be -Recovery and it will be preselected. Release keys. In a few sec the phone will reboot to recovery. Remember that the O3D is quite stubborn and may not boot to recovery every time. Keep trying and it will work eventually!
3. I mentioned above the possibility to get into a recovery loop (your phone boots only to recovery). I have made a flashable zip to break this loop and boot back to android. Just download P920_ICS_RecoveryLoop_Breaker.zip (attached at the end of this post) to your computer. While your phone is in recovery, connect it via USB, select to mount SD to computer and copy the zip. Eject from computer and flash the zip. Reboot. After booting into system, you'll have to flash a new recovery (e.g. from ROM Manager or OS_Hacking's Tool).
4. Losing IMEI is something that doesn't normally happen when flashing KDZ files. It happens sometimes when flashing BIN/FLS. I suspect that flashing a KDZ with this guide after you have lost your IMEI will actually fix it! This remains to be proven (feedback please). Another way that has been confirmed to work is to run LG Mobile Support Tool, connect your phone in S/W download mode and select "Recovery Phone" from the "Customer Support" menu. A popup will appear asking for the IMEI. You need to type the correct one (it's written beneath the battery). The tool will then download and flash the latest official firmware for your country/provider fixing IMEI at the same time.
CREDITS (please say thanks to these people):
- P_U_A_John for his original guide in using the KDZ_FW_UPD tool (Mod UpTestEX - XP only)!
- OS_Hacking for his All-in-one Tool
- OptimusRS for his Rooting Photo-Guide
- Zlmbbl and the chinese team for leaking the ROM
- Stobias_ah for uploading v28b to a European server.
- Evil Slayer for uploading v30a to dev-host.
- Gazhead for his flashable SU.
- Lzzar for giving me the idea of how to break the recovery loop.
- Black-Byte.de, Me2freedom and Woodpeckerlo for testing on Win7+
- LG for the Support tool, PC Suite and drivers (but you have already paid for those) LOL!